Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure about this one. Wide dead canopy makes me nervous.
View attachment 551704 View attachment 551702

Well, beat feet when it goes, and keep looking up constantly constantly, while cutting and after cutting. We have a member here who got el kabonged from a flying dead branch after the tree hit and bounced. He caught it on his noggin, nasty, and he was videoing it when it happened.
Like Mike said wear a hard hat.for me i'd take it slow and easy and maybe a few wedges. having someone along to keep an eye on it when it starts to go.

Those dead limbs sure look like a hazard, in addition to the compromised trunk.

Anyway to shoot a rope over and break them off?

Might want to hire someone take it down.

Phibert

I'm guessing that thing is 60' tall- I don't see me getting a rope up there. No way would I pay someone- it's on state/ public ground and I don't need it that bad. I'll buy coal at 80-90 a ton first. Luckily haven't had to buy coal in 5 years. There's plenty of wood around if a person is ambitious enough. Ma nature will get it down for me - I just have to not look at it when I drive by to stay on the safe side!

I figured. Yeah if it were my property- that thing would be coming down pronto before it hit my cows, fence, etc. I have a buddy that I think would be good at leading the way. I'll probably keep an eye on it - might catch some local attempting it or maybe that thing will uproot. I wonder if that trunk would make any lumber?

He looks a bit Sheepish to me ... Ha Ha Ha!

Bulls are dangerous, don't see many of them any more. I would rather deal with the tree!

If I wanted that tree, I would put a ladder against it, rope it, and winch it from a good distance away. Put a little tension on it before you cut, then do your cutting but leave a hinge, then get away and pull it over.

But if you don't need it, no problem leaving it.

He's been getting an attitude over the past year. There are a fair amount of bulls around my area. Once he gets done with his business this spring, he might "meat" the grinder. I really like him, but he has given me a couple close calls. Their strength is something to see. He picked up a 4x5 bale (800lb?) on the back of the tractor like it was nothing. The tractor weighs in around 6500lb, and the rear end was looking light with that bull under the bale. I was on a hillside, and I figured my tractor was going to go over. Rolled the bale feeder over by him and he finally backed off. I've seen him put his head in that feeder with a fresh bale in it and just go with it.

I have a decent cable winch. If I decide to tackle that tree, I'll probably have a truckload of tools and chain with me. I have an outdoor stove with a 20" square door for most of my heating, so anymore I like cutting wood that doesn't need split. The overall process seems a little faster for me. Those big trees sure do make a lot of nice wood though. It'll be on my back burner.

I pull him off when calves start dropping- so he'll be out of work till late June/ early July. He doesn't like solitary! That's when things get interesting. I put a steer feeder calf in with him last year and it actually worked out alright. Funny to see him get with the ladies after being separated! I think bulls and mischief go together.

Happy 1001 pages!

I didn't get pics, but went out and dropped 3 beetle-killed ash trees with my cousin on Saturday. We both got good (1/2 cord +) pickup loads out of them, with as much left on the ground to finish bucking and splitting next weekend.

Yesterday, I re-loaded the basement and got ready for the week. This ash passes the Dancan moisture meter test just fine:
View attachment 551257 View attachment 551256

Sorry for the improperly rotated pictures. I edited them to fix, and they're still going upside down and sideways.

They look fine to me :).

Used to have an unpredictable bull until dad broke a 2x4 over his head. He didn't like anybody messing with his ladies and we had a hefer calve where she wasn't supposed to. Had to help her out and that sucker came at us so he got smacked right between the eyes with a cut off 2x4 piece. Took about 15 steps back and watched us cross eyed for a bit. He was fine from there on out but you never left your back to him.

I go to Rice Lake every summer. Ever hit that place up?
Pretty good bass fishing from what I remember. Kawarthas is a tough spot to beat. Used to go to the bars in Peterborough to try to hit on the nursing students. Lol. Never had much luck there. I eventually got a nurse (still have her) but she was over in Barrie.

Bull adjuster .

qVeeSwhTUDgUKfJJU0x2oXCU-OVeg1j5aBl9f8N8UVOL57YIJKlfhkSSNlNVLMNH-UTuhFnB-8J8wYM=w2904-h1634-rw-no

Turn him into an ox lol

Back