Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess there's no sure way of eliminating ash altogeather, I do wait for it to cool down but if it's night time and it's still got some hot coals I bite the bullet and empty it out regardless.
The worst wood I have ever burnt for ash was Jacaranda, seriously I'd say half of it was non combustible. I was emptying the ash out every 2nd day.
Iron bark I'd say you can burn a ton to get a bucket of ash. I'm assuming it's all to do with the carbon content of the wood.

Well I have a crew in refacing the old fire place this week. The job will take an extra day and they wanted to finish tomorrow. I told them that they need to wait until Monday I have a GTG tomorrow.

Old fire place less the mantle
93917c53832a9720bf50a683252510ee.jpg

Progress so far. It needs the bottom veneer laid and grouted. Also note I cut the carpet back so they could stone down to where the new flooring will be. Which means less finish work for me. Also the mantle is a 12" deep solid oak barn beam. So if push comes to shove I could always burn the mantle.

721972e67f17b2d43429c0922cec59f8.jpg

I guess there's no sure way of eliminating ash altogeather, I do wait for it to cool down but if it's night time and it's still got some hot coals I bite the bullet and empty it out regardless.
The worst wood I have ever burnt for ash was Jacaranda, seriously I'd say half of it was non combustible. I was emptying the ash out every 2nd day.
Iron bark I'd say you can burn a ton to get a bucket of ash. I'm assuming it's all to do with the carbon content of the wood.

Hey Jeff,

You're right, you have to deal with it one way or another but as you note, the type of wood you burn makes a massive difference.

Ash is the stuff in wood that doesn't burn (obviously) and is the mineral elements in the wood - sodium, potassium etc - that the tree was using as part of its metabolism. So when @woodchip rookie is honking his ash, he's getting his daily salt requirements among other things. Sapwood which is where much of the movement of stuff in the tree is occurring has higher mineral content and therefore ash, compared to heartwood which is structural and the channels for movement of stuff are blocked. Bark is higher again in ash content.

E. rubida (Candlebark) is a touch less dense than peppermint but has a stark difference in ash content between heartwood and sapwood. Peppermint sapwood is not much worse than heartwood in ash content, even the bark is not too bad. I'll burn the candlebark heartwood (which is orange) and has very little ash but small branches with bark on them - forget about it, the ash content once partially burnt smothers the remaining combustible bits which then can't burn properly so you end up with a firebox full of ash and unburnt charcoal in a few days. You can mix in a little of that with a low ash wood like peppermint or red gum and it'll burn down better eventually but I'd rather not have to burn any of that at all. I take that down to my brother in Melbourne, it's all the same to him. So the lower the ash content, the cleaner and more complete your combustion is going to be.

This pic was candlebark from last winter in the fire and you can see the clear delineation of heartwood and sapwood by the ash production.

candlebark.jpg

The carbon content is the mass for a given volume (density) and the more of that you have for a lower mineral content the better. That's why the ironbark you get up there is so popular - very very dense without the high mineral/ash content. If I had ironbark, I wouldn't bother with peppermint or candlebark - you get an extra 300kgs per cubic metre or 1100kgs extra per cord over peppermint and 2480kgs extra per cord over black spruce! @dancan would go into conniptions.

I do feel for those guys who only have access to light weight softwoods but on the up side they only pay half price for saws.
One of the other attributes of a good firewood is how fast it burns. I find Ironbark is nice and dense but burns slow if you don't load up your fire box. you pretty muck can't get pine to burn slow.

There's a Vitex here called Puriri, that I thought was a similar density to Ironbark. Certainly is a nightmare to cut when dry. There is no way you would load up your firebox with it, for it would result in no grill, warped door, etc. Many people learned the hard way that too much of a good thing is no longer a good thing. The last dead standing one I dropped was only about 25" DBH but took three sharp chains just to make the felling cuts. It lays where I dropped it and one day I might get back there to pull it out but I'm in no hurry.

It doesn't really rot, and being so hard, it was used as bearings in water pumps. There are still a few old, working pumps running these Puriri bearings.

Just once I'd like to split some easy softwood. This twisty-grain ash I got is a nightmare. I see guys on youtube with a Fiskars splitting axe making it look like they are chopping blocks of styrofoam. "Look, it's easy"....yea right. Come over here and swing on some of this ash and sugar maple I got. Isocore then sledgehammer.

That twisty grain stuff comes in all , I've got spruce that is full of big knots that you have to fight with because it goes left then an inch below it goes right etc ...
Spruce that looks like it's straight and clear , full of little knots inside going in every direction holding the splits together so you have to chop them apart ...
Maple and birch that are all twisted together as well , fight , chop and chop ....
Every now and then you do get some cream lol

Come on up , I can find you some nice pine and spruce that was grown in an abandoned field , 20' tall , 20" at the butt , starting a foot from the ground 15' wide of branch tip to tip and a whirl of branches every 3" for that thick fat Christmas tree shape .
Just as much fun as that spiral twist sugar maple that don't stack worth **** lol
Sure is a joy to to get some nice clear straight grain and blast through a pile of it once in a while isn't it :)
Pretty sure I'm faster at processing perfect wood with an axe than a splitter but , seldom do I get a good pile of that perfect wood , it's usually only a teaser lol

Mighty Mouse Logging LLC

alot of them guys on youtube clean shavin new hat new gloves new ax new pants new boots tellin aptment dwellers that burn 1/4 rick a year how to split wood.i know not all of em but it is so funny to watch for a few seconds.the real splittin is not like on youtube that wood splits so easy every now and again it is easy for a minute but the next 10 hours it is work! just a 2 cent from okla.

alot of them guys on youtube clean shavin new hat new gloves new ax new pants new boots tellin aptment dwellers that burn 1/4 rick a year how to split wood.i know not all of em but it is so funny to watch for a few seconds.the real splittin is not like on youtube that wood splits so easy every now and again it is easy for a minute but the next 10 hours it is work! just a 2 cent from okla.
Yep.

Sort of like the fishing shows where they guys fish for a week to get enough film for a 20 minute show then they hold the fish so far in front of them that it makes a 2 lb fish look like ten pounds.

I can keep the furnace burning 24/7 for 2 weeks on spruce

Hey, that's pretty good burn time!

I do feel for those guys who only have access to light weight softwoods but on the up side they only pay half price for saws.
One of the other attributes of a good firewood is how fast it burns. I find Ironbark is nice and dense but burns slow if you don't load up your fire box. you pretty muck can't get pine to burn slow.

That's where the compromise is, there are pros and cons. The denser it is, the harder it is to ignite and get going, and the more slowly it produces its heat. But you get the great coals that radiate heat for hours while pyrolysis sends all the softwood up the flue and leaves bugger all coals but generates near instant heat that can get the dense stuff going rather than having to wait for the ironbark to get cracking. In an ideal world you might have a shed full of dancan spruce and a shed full of Jeffkrib ironbark next to each other, fire up the firebox with one then load up with the other. Winner winner chicken dinner. I'll just have to get by with Cowboy compromise wood.

The new fireplace is looking great, Steve. :)

Back