Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I happen to have access to Wi-Fi tonight, so I uploaded a video of splitting wood with my Gransfors Bruks splitting maul. The round is a 750# piece of red oak that's 42" in diameter. 6.5 rounds like this would make a full cord of wood by my math. I did pretty good, but after watching the video there's plenty of room for improvement. I should have started making a grid earlier instead of after about 4 minutes.

I happen to have access to Wi-Fi tonight, so I uploaded a video of splitting wood with my Gransfors Bruks splitting maul. The round is a 750# piece of red oak that's 42" in diameter. 6.5 rounds like this would make a full cord of wood by my math. I did pretty good, but after watching the video there's plenty of room for improvement. I should have started making a grid earlier instead of after about 4 minutes.

You did great! Would be interesting to see how a Fiskars compared.

You did great! Would be interesting to see how a Fiskars compared.

I left my X27 there with the guys who had the tree removed. I guess the guy (60) told his son (29) that I did that piece is 6 minutes, so the kid's gotta try now. I guess he didn't feel like trying to lift one onto the splitter. :innocent:

Anyway, I like the X27 also, but the GB keeps calling me back. The X27 is longer, and the extra length gets in the way a little bit when I choke up and make little swings. Also, and I've been meaning to play around with the grinder to see if I can fix this, but the Fiskars gets stuck on the cheeks too often in my opinion. It might not have been an issue here, but it happens enough to bug me. I'll split a piece just enough to separate it, but not enough to knock it away from the bigger piece. It doesn't always work perfectly like that, but sometimes, and the Fiskars will sink just enough that the almost barbed portion of the bit gets stuck and won't easily back out. Instead you have to hold the handle straight up and down and wiggle it side you side until it walks up and out.

Other than that, I like the Fiskars a lot. It really splits quite nicely, but because of the head design and the comfort of the GB handle I usually pick that one up and leave the Fiskars for people who want to take a stab at splitting the easy way.

I left my X27 there with the guys who had the tree removed. I guess the guy (60) told his son (29) that I did that piece is 6 minutes, so the kid's gotta try now. I guess he didn't feel like trying to lift one onto the splitter. :innocent:

Anyway, I like the X27 also, but the GB keeps calling me back. The X27 is longer, and the extra length gets in the way a little bit when I choke up and make little swings. Also, and I've been meaning to play around with the grinder to see if I can fix this, but the Fiskars gets stuck on the cheeks too often in my opinion. It might not have been an issue here, but it happens enough to bug me. I'll split a piece just enough to separate it, but not enough to knock it away from the bigger piece. It doesn't always work perfectly like that, but sometimes, and the Fiskars will sink just enough that the almost barbed portion of the bit gets stuck and won't easily back out. Instead you have to hold the handle straight up and down and wiggle it side you side until it walks up and out.

Other than that, I like the Fiskars a lot. It really splits quite nicely, but because of the head design and the comfort of the GB handle I usually pick that one up and leave the Fiskars for people who want to take a stab at splitting the easy way.
Been meaning to drop you a PM. I was into the hunting cabin last weekend but with the deep snow I forgot to go out to the shed and grab the Husky S2800 for you. But with temps in the 60s this week I may be able to drive the truck in there soon! I would love to run the S2800 and Isocore back to back with the GB when I get out to your place.

Looking good! Do you have any more trees like that I can help you cut?

A little off topic, but anyone have a backpack blower? I'm looking at a few right now. Always had a handheld blower and would like to know what some of the better features are on them. Looking at husqvarna 150bt, echo pb-580bt, pb-500bt, and maybe any stihl In the $225 price range used that isn't beat to absolute death.

Edit: guess I could add, mainly going to be using it to help me with leaf removal during the winter. Summer my handheld bg55 does just fine for grass. I have 6 acres of trees that I'm trying to tame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's awesome! I've never split anything comes apart that nice.

Looking good! Do you have any more trees like that I can help you cut?

No more like that unfortunately. I do have a lot of red and white oak, but most of it is under 14".

I'd love to do a comparison of those ones also. I'd like to find something that I like as much as the GB, but it hasn't happened yet. I'd also definitely like to try the isocore, even though it's in a different weight class. Unfortunately, I fell on the ice in the neighbor's driveway and broke my ankle on Monday. So, I'm pretty much out of commission for a while. I can still drive the tractor around and get to the sugarbush where wood is. I hope you still want to come out and meet up, but I won't get to do much splitting myself. :(

No more like that unfortunately. I do have a lot of red and white oak, but most of it is under 14".

I'd love to do a comparison of those ones also. I'd like to find something that I like as much as the GB, but it hasn't happened yet. I'd also definitely like to try the isocore, even though it's in a different weight class. Unfortunately, I fell on the ice in the neighbor's driveway and broke my ankle on Monday. So, I'm pretty much out of commission for a while. I can still drive the tractor around and get to the sugarbush where wood is. I hope you still want to come out and meet up, but I won't get to do much splitting myself. :(
Absolutely I will still come out, or if you want to wait until you are up and walking that works too. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

That makes sense, I've never tried the GB, would like to try it sometime, either way you made it look easy I prolly would have had to take a break.
Sorry to hear about your ankle, man that's a bummer, hope you heal up fast.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I had surgery on Friday and got some hardware installed. I asked them to use Stihl screws so they won't vibrate out, but I'm not sure if they took me seriously. :). Either way, I'm really happy to be on the road to recovery!! Can't wait to get back to work, but I know it'll be a while.

Ryan'smilling, yeah that isn't happening with me. No way could I swing that long anymore and if I tried you would be carrying me home. I bought a Fiskers X27 or whatever they were called when it was on sale a few months ago. I never even split a piece of wood with it, gave it to my buddy who does most of his splitting by hand. He loves it. He was using an old 8 or 10 pound maul. I get enough exercise just getting on and off my tractor. Good job though.

Just brought some more wood up from under the deck. I've burned 5 cord (facecord) this year. What's everyone else at?
I don't really have an accurate count but guessing we have burned prolly 4 full cords so far. I know it's more than we have burned in any of the last 12 years for this time period. More below 0 weather for longer time period this year.

A little off topic, but anyone have a backpack blower? I'm looking at a few right now. Always had a handheld blower and would like to know what some of the better features are on them. Looking at husqvarna 150bt, echo pb-580bt, pb-500bt, and maybe any stihl In the $225 price range used that isn't beat to absolute death.

Edit: guess I could add, mainly going to be using it to help me with leaf removal during the winter. Summer my handheld bg55 does just fine for grass. I have 6 acres of trees that I'm trying to tame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have one, but it's a Husky 580BTS. I have an 1800 foot winding driveway up the side of a mountain that's lined with mature trees, so I wasn't going to fool around with a $200 blower. If you're blowing 6 acres I'd be a little concerned with a cheap blower in that case, too. FWIW, the 580 will damn near blow the top layer of asphalt off the driveway. Good luck whatever you decide!

Back