Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know how close you are to electricity but cutting those 4-6ish diameter logs works really good on a mitre saw. Especially if its one of the bigger 12" saws
Out of extension cord reach for that pile plus those poles were in my plow lane this winter so they're covered in dirt and rocks .
Besides , playing with hydraulics is just plain more fun lol

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Another tool to ensure I keep my scrounging rights to the farmland around me. The deal is I keep the bush in check around the fields and I get as much wood as I want. Still have to rig up the stop to keep it sitting vertical but everything is working well so far. The boom is adjustable because I have some trees in my yard that I want to remove that are pretty high. For around the bush it will only be out to the 2nd notch so maybe 15' at the highest, the length is just to get into the trees from the field. I'll be using a pole saw for some of it so no need to go up very high. Lots of guys around here just use an excavator or a loader tractor and smash the limbs off around the edge of the fields. Looks about as pretty as you would think too. Might be able to get a few jobs and make a few bucks making it look prettier. My grandson thought it was pretty cool driving along the ground but as soon as I got in with him and Gramma got behind the wheel he changed his mind quick. His Dad is terrified of heights and we're been going out of our way to get him used to heights while he's young. The boom is from my log grapple and the boom attached to the basket is 1\4' wall x2 1/2 x 2 1/2" tube.
IMG_20170416_104416.jpg IMG_8339.JPG IMG_8332.JPG IMG_8332.JPG IMG_8335.JPG

It was a certified basket and is the deep one so not much chance of falling out especially as I don't likes heights that much either. Much safer than a ladder. No hills around the field either so it's level. woodchip, I just built it so haven't tested it out all the way yet and like I said only have a few branches to remove on my lawn and won't be out very far for around the bush. I have a weight box for the back but doubt it will be needed as I lift 1500 lb logs fairly often. I would only be out 6' farther and am a lot less than 1500 lbs. I have aerial lift platform and forklift tickets so am aware of the risks. The idea is to drive it into position, get in, my wife lift to me height, cut the branches then back down, get out, back out and drive to next tree. Only cutting branches on one side of tree so no need to maneuver or drive while in it. I have a man basket for the forks but it's bigger (easier to get hurt) and a pain to get close enough to the branches. My grandsons play platform is higher than this.

Cantoo, I respect your experience, and your welding skill. But the connection to the loader, the stability of the loader without levelers, working on soft ground, etc., and the fact that so many guys fall / get thrown out of conventional lifts makes me nervous. That's all I'm going to say. You are capable of making your own judgements, but if I did not at least raise the issue, . . . .

'Happy Easter' and
'Happy Patriots' Day'

Philbert

I don't even know where the day went yesterday. I started by changing oil in my Yukon and attempted to start cleaning the garage. But I kept finding parts for other projects in the garage as I moved stuff around. Ended up cleaning and repairing my gas grill, putting up the picnic table canopy, washing both cars, and buffing scratches out of my car, light yard work, and doing minor repairs on the kid's bikes.

Was hoping to have a fire but we had seriously strong straight line winds to the point that I was starting to worry about my trees.

Another load from the in-laws property. This one is a little smallish, but plenty of good locust in there. Towed it with their 8.1L Chevy instead of the Duramax GMC. Darn. :D So to review: FIL cut the logs on their property, loaded them with his tractor, onto his trailer, and I towed it home with their truck. So I guess pretty much all I do is burn it... oh, and there is the processing, stacking, and loading the OWB. Probably at least 2 more loads stacked and ready at their place plus some that I was cutting while clearing their trails this week. You guessed it: with his saw! LOLIMG_20170417_084035.jpg

At least you got stuff done. Even if not in the list.

Philbert
Yup.

I'm trying to work my way towards the side wall in the garage. Then I need to put in a couple more outlets before insulating and sheeting the wall and put up saw shelving like so many guys on here do.

Wowzer, we have one at work too but it's about 4' square and too big to get where I want to go. I want to keep my weight in the center of the loader so it is more stable. If it is even a little tippy I could have my back hoe on and the outriggers down close to the ground. Even if a hose breaks it will till just go straight down, well the arc of the loader down anyway. And it would go down pretty slowly and the bucket swivals as it goes down so couldn't get pinned under it. I'm still not sure about wearing the harness, I only plan on being 10 to 12' of the ground at the bush, the pole saw will reach as high as I need to cut.

Wowzer, we have one at work too but it's about 4' square and too big to get where I want to go. I want to keep my weight in the center of the loader so it is more stable. If it is even a little tippy I could have my back hoe on and the outriggers down close to the ground. Even if a hose breaks it will till just go straight down, well the arc of the loader down anyway. And it would go down pretty slowly and the bucket swivals as it goes down so couldn't get pinned under it. I'm still not sure about wearing the harness, I only plan on being 10 to 12' of the ground at the bush, the pole saw will reach as high as I need to cut.

I was looking on the old kijiji today too and seen a bucket truck box off a F 550 you could just mount it on one if those wagons and run it off your hydraulics on the tractor too.

Latest posts

Back