Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking a large electric saw at the end of a boom arm that you fabricated.

Keep it simple: adjust the cutting angle manually before yo raise the boom into position.

Philbert
I made one for a customer. It had a 30" circular blade run by hydraulics. Extendable boom and a quick hook for front end loader or skid steer. I didn't design it but I think the end should have swiveled.

was working on my scrounge today and the cable/phone co. was moving wires to the new poles. talked to the boss? and asked him about the old guy wires for the poles. 5/16 cable. yea i'll take it. he stopped back with some new cable wraps he thought i would need. :happybanana: a scrounge while i was scrounging.:) hauled 4 loads like this home to the top of the hill.
20170419_105051_resized_1.jpg 20170419_105956_resized_1.jpg

Dan, I promise, if you come down to visit, I'll let you cut some Oak. Got Red & White available.

Now Mighty Mouse will not be the saw of choice for this stuff, but don't worry, I got ya covered there too!

And I'm still shocked that SVK never picked up an 044. He had a big grin on his face after using mine that day! Now with the base gasket delete & timing advance, it is even stronger.
Well I skipped the 70 cc class and went right to the 85! Which may be going to the saw spa soon :D

Oak wilt maybe lol

aAXP72SCRQlUUPhZ7cPX95yd_iq4mylnBPd8G5Ut8if-ugO_Qe_PWxG9bPyZ3hPpVQ0IXooA_U35NSShIA5cabScoAIaVYXfrYAAImx0TgOjw092Nu2ZnSa7WK36jM9Dskcfb8_Z2gjdEq2hWuNMWATC_Bry1LvCwlXktp_5OrjV7SSNMWPrRtYOJBwgx3zCrYp3dVGl9yAY4YMNh5uNzT2dnqFVmPVFP7r7uUS0F9G5yERxMEQHwr0FivAcKnQTjoJoo6x1Pd4XNgHXGnJwtj0sjimY8YLyd0deqFxhapLd0yjY_FoVs_HmhKsGhTmJNcikv2u3CKOVwnOHpBRIuTLow8M0TVWor_KC2UyICMIiB6k4IuQMAqZ-t6Oe7CAhOTkCwTp3CayDMa3KpVj-iNv2SgN5bbwJOsCZPJQ4KXsvxRSZ9ZtZGTCK5hhDZsVYa-SP7s3rbvv-QLyZeukPW-7nx1OeokoEeT-BKD0N5cB7DjjFoacc__rr7jzfbu497uECtnJ-rT4cWIBUeV07NYZP2md7OPPuNV1KK9qfLVPuWJe073WHaRF5JcULnlyjTYwE5Toh1ij0PYdTJC-b2TL7lO8uV7tj6Rbd8D635SSOXw2JIP2DO4H9EBBf0ZHWzUJOYHMzprX9y_Lwpzi5lp2vUzTPFQTfKI348rR4ImU=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

Pic work now ?
Mike , you bring the oak , I'll dig out the 660 ;)
Coffee , beer or pop on me if any of you make it up here and bring some oak :D
Yup and the original pic is there today too.

you must be feeling relief today!

Yes, but the phone keeps ringing. Someone left something here, other stuff that did not have to be done by deadline, calls regarding why their bank account has not been debited yet (it takes a few days to clear, but they all get paranoid that I messed up).

That said I did a bit of work on some saws today, tying to get ready for the Upstate NY GTG, and I will have both Grandsons all day for the next 2 days, so not really much time left for me.

They not have oak in Aus there Cowboy?

There are a few native oaks and some introduced ones but they aren't in my area in great numbers. I don't see myself cutting one for the foreseeable future so @dancan and I have that in common.

My two Grandsons spent the day with me today, so after discussing with them what we should do, we decided that I would teach them how to use the Hatchet & Knife sets that I had given them for Christmas.

I set up a chopping block in the driveway, then I made each of them demonstrate that they could hit a spot I identified with a hammer. I figured there was no use letting them swing a hatchet if they could not control a hammer, but they both did well.

So I found some fallen Black Walnut branches in the lot across the street and we brought them back, took the branches off, skinned the bark off, then stained them with home made Walnut stain, and made walking sticks out of them.

Both boys (7 & 10) worked diligently, but they also both got stuck here & there and I alternated helping each of them. Hey, it was the first time either of them used a hatchet. But both of them kept going, sometimes choosing the hatchet, sometimes the knife, and sometimes I helped a bit.

I was almost worried they would go home and complain about how hard I worked them and how their hands were sore, etc., but instead they went home and told my Daughter "We had the best day ever". I could not be more proud of them.

I also think it is a reflection that some of the more routine things that many of us take for granted are starting to disappear from the fabric of American life, including using hatchets, knives, guns, etc. I'm so glad we got to share this day!

Attachments

• IMG_20170420_143749359.jpg
    IMG_20170420_143749359.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20170420_145214709.jpg
    IMG_20170420_145214709.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 31
That's excellent, Mike! Kids spend so much time mucking around on computers, tablets and phones that people forget that practical stuff and relatively unsophisticated stuff is fun too. It's just that many (or even most) kids these days haven't been exposed to it so they don't know any different. Working on something, learning new things and having something to show for it at the end of the day, that's exciting and an experience that can plant a seed in inquiring young minds. Sounds like a great day for them, and for you.

Great stuff.

My kids went in a Spartan race (obstacles, hills, mud pits etc) locally late last year and ran themselves to exhaustion, and here they are at the end, half covered in mud and they'd had a ball.

IMG_20161127_113512.jpg

Dirt, mud, using tools, making stuff. It's what kids love, most of them just don't know it yet.

My two Grandsons spent the day with me today, so after discussing with them what we should do, we decided that I would teach them how to use the Hatchet & Knife sets that I had given them for Christmas.

I set up a chopping block in the driveway, then I made each of them demonstrate that they could hit a spot I identified with a hammer. I figured there was no use letting them swing a hatchet if they could not control a hammer, but they both did well.

So I found some fallen Black Walnut branches in the lot across the street and we brought them back, took the branches off, skinned the bark off, then stained them with home made Walnut stain, and made walking sticks out of them.

Both boys (7 & 10) worked diligently, but they also both got stuck here & there and I alternated helping each of them. Hey, it was the first time either of them used a hatchet. But both of them kept going, sometimes choosing the hatchet, sometimes the knife, and sometimes I helped a bit.

I was almost worried they would go home and complain about how hard I worked them and how their hands were sore, etc., but instead they went home and told my Daughter "We had the best day ever". I could not be more proud of them.

I also think it is a reflection that some of the more routine things that many of us take for granted are starting to disappear from the fabric of American life, including using hatchets, knives, guns, etc. I'm so glad we got to share this day!
Well done!

My older kids always gripe about going to the cabin or camping but they have a great time when they are there.

Back