Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 576125 In front of this rig is a pickup truck full of scrounged poplar, Manitoba maple, ash and elm which will keep us warm for the next couple days as we head north in search of lake trout.
That's such a good looking boat!

I don't want to be "that guy" but please make sure you are brushed up on firewood transportation laws in the areas you are heading to avoid a ticket.

Wood Nazi, I assumed that was you out with the chickens that I was beeping the horn at this afternoon. Was on way to Rockford to see what they have for the auction tomorrow. Forgot where I was until I seen that long lineup of firewood on the fenceline and thought it was likely your place. My wife thought I was nuts for laying on the horn so long. Bunch of splitters at the sale but nothing else I was interested in so going to do some welding instead. My Dutch wife had to stop at the Dutch store and waste money on some Dutch trinkets and muffins. Have a good weekend fishing.

@muddstopper

I had a tight fit getting out of town on the Joe Brown highway this morning. Almost had to get my saw out to widen the cut.

View attachment 576123

Came upon an old couple with teenage kids in the back and flagged them down to warn them of the upcoming tree. The fellow asked me where the road came out and I said Violet to which he seemed to never heard of before.
Yea, a lot of downed trees, mostly in spots. Our power was out for about an hour. Brother was on the lake fishing and got soaked trying to load the boat. Then had to wait for someone to cut a big oak out of the road before he could drive it home. While cutting that bradford, I took that rebuilt 55 I showed you that hadnt been tuned, he liked it so well he stole it. Said he would keep it for me and break it in. Yea, right, I think I just lost a saw.

Didn't do any woods work yesterday other than putting a couple of axes together but I went and picked up a trailer load today :)
Here's a pic from on top of the hardwood pile .

cFBC0Nw3y1B9lvwDCBJpSRdHuQHvJOOOR9wzqjEoUn69ZVJtCEUCz40ksr1l7NCh6ed6apJCoQQY3HMhpvGwEIzo0oUBwsyw1CVqtFLQoqtotwZPYglETzDdP6RUW8ZURzhVB1aww2QIN_3GTXgetumOpAjcOqwrwkmLhhH2fidguOjWlFBvWBWmpGbAQoavGq3twxwBUuh9qro6OgWYIV5GzXNY2yUywFyH6A6M79yP6sbmXUaTPEHlDq002zbOBoaX1GCZmG4QOJZ2cSrvJU-3F4pC5QMu4Vs27fYloMKlpaddZFdkd7oa3DJa2TaMvWdGiRAl8_UkRoYVwyhSdP6MV5j7QuOj_DgQ_HJoyK9Z4ZVmb1a3Wsxev4D_daIQVcjSEMdZmkETqWBjkFBtc-THhXRFvHi0sdpux8pDIwwZkw5-8uVSoQ8G8vg4sek865JEOtQx5JbM2UNkxtlABRk4SL4E_CorHhMN0N6avR7Y3jcEPIxiigwiat4exHsq-aNw__ibFPS3QIZME48q66A1eQ5AbjDa8NTfRA7BIHQURgpD0npktQq6fDxKaSzbbOTomYdfULGYjmV79Hs-gcJcfeR817q1zT-dwxc4EhGRu3v1UtZJBt-JzERRvGWQmP7Njy5QvXhHNxTxWhUn-GOlHYPmOagBCWyatJh2aFI=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

No spruce today but still plenty of Zoggerwood :)

wqtOjiXZl2G5uHa0fmkC-sEZ4F9wui0dTaQ6Zv7zjYgjpS3_bhRovHiX_axk1vyN6yDw9R0cKT_tqKk-OvFm4xp7CNxYt4iNA9J2dCy8Uq7iQbRocv95VFuHJZuLJmYHH2esHnRXtJkDvk33N11SB_ZcIDOQFmeyDfIz4CwfSC1mWKrbnNtcMnzxXQ144IwzyAsRqsltby5hUhsQANwII195LEdFGwNizwX3FhX0AF4vSqB5Es-cM_W6TYmV-IdQRH2WWFMs1WfopYULtE7-FGYjyAv91S39iIG0_Q236ijhX0FXE82e6qWSyc6TqxHahMn9Uyj71UXnveOgYHWBn-YwuYVXsI-fGZjCZ53VjBt1VBsmTpVu_FqRx5TgwpjZCPL3OgEXiuPeO_HfON6jeATvVmpYUVDJZkC5slgSc3IzV1LFuayuG6B4wsLg5DO-dmNYi92CnQSY7N623qs-b8DSC0nV1sZlWVGyQHIVRCWLUT5J-HeW-asabpFnqW2IWOSWAv8KrVppZd4yyg1QP9AJAwDTBsfXPBYYNnJr9Pp4yAKwwDcct8CX2PNZbn_mibe641GjQzovpO6w6AapY7OsVHfqu3G49nQyp82nPikmCdTuZz9LiBdMuKMQBUHPAzgDgkYIbbcHJcFh7JR-_l2NMzjOc_nTfDL9qwdH3eY=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

I've had a chance to spend time with @muddstopper @NGaMountains and @zogger over the past two days and can tell you they are all very good people.

I have a few pics from zogger's place that I'll post up when I have better reception. I did get a chance to see oakzilla, the zogger smogger, and run the zoginator when I was at his house

I've added 6 1/2 saws to the fleet over the past week for a combined total of $25. Going to need more storage space lol.

Thanks for stopping by @svk! It's always nice to meet good people and it was a real pleasure to spend some time with you. It looks like you had a great time with @zogger after you took off from our place. Thanks again for the deliveries and I hope you had a great trip home!

Thanks for stopping by @svk! It's always nice to meet good people and it was a real pleasure to spend some time with you. It looks like you had a great time with @zogger after you took off from our place. Thanks again for the deliveries and I hope you had a great trip home!
Thank you for welcoming me into your beautiful home as well. Enjoy the saw!

That's such a good looking boat!

I don't want to be "that guy" but please make sure you are brushed up on firewood transportation laws in the areas you are heading to avoid a ticket.
Thanks. We didn't leave the county so am good with the wood. Still an hour and a half away so it seemed far enough.

Wood Nazi, I assumed that was you out with the chickens that I was beeping the horn at this afternoon. Was on way to Rockford to see what they have for the auction tomorrow. Forgot where I was until I seen that long lineup of firewood on the fenceline and thought it was likely your place. My wife thought I was nuts for laying on the horn so long. Bunch of splitters at the sale but nothing else I was interested in so going to do some welding instead. My Dutch wife had to stop at the Dutch store and waste money on some Dutch trinkets and muffins. Have a good weekend fishing.
Haha. I wondered who the heck that was!

Spring has sprung, and instead of relaxing after Tax Season I'm busier than a one armed paper hanger!

But just on the scrounging stuff, I got to split wood on Friday at the same location as last year, and I'm told that two of his neighbors want me to cut trees down for them, and ditto the guy across the street from me.

So I'm driving home from splitting the wood on Friday, and a local landscaper stops me and asks if I want some wood (he saw the trailer & saws). Only had a little time this morning to check it out, but he has several cords of downed trees that I can have, all Maple, Black Cherry and Black Locust. I may mill some of the Locust into posts instead of turning into fire wood. None of the Cherry looked straight enough, and I got plenty of that upstate.

The guy across the street wants me to drop a Black Walnut, so that will involve more milling! It must be the week for "Black Trees".

I'll start cutting and taking that Maple/Cherry/Locust tomorrow.

Back