Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm actually thinking London Neil could be the most dedicated scrounger here. Would have to be some of the toughest scrounge conditions in the world.

Cowboy. I disagree on Neil's current little saw, I would say he will still use it on small stuff up to 10". So much nicer to use on small stuff. You need to get yourself a small saw to appreciate (when your cutting small stuff). I'd go down the Kiwibro route though.

KiwiBro... Man I'd love to own a MMS 261 v2. Did it the total cost end up less then buying new local?

I buy used saws all the time and I very seldom even look them over much before buying. Quick look and cheap enough to clean up and resell as a non runner if it ends up being one and I usually bring them home. I also pass over a lot of saws, to me the price is the deciding factor, looks of the saw means very little. My son is a mechanic and can fix most things for the price of parts so not that big a risk to me. I keep saying I'm going to buy a new 441 or whatever and I never pull the trigger. I have about 20 saws and really have no need for another but I keep looking. Neil I would bet that a 260 is about all you will need. I use mine a lot even when cutting 22" ash. Takes a little longer but it's also a lot lighter especially if you are doing some walking.

KiwiBro how about you sell your Dolmar to Neil then :)

Cowboy I have cut 28" iron bark with my 009 with a 14" bar. It did it but hell it was painfully slow. Still better than a hand saw. The small saw is so much nicer to use on small stuff and big saw is so much nicer to use on big stuff.

Anyway, seeing as we don't yet have a resolution to @LondonNeil 's increasing CAD symptoms I figure I might as well post some scrounge pics. The Lady Farmer is off the farm in 19 days and has started making noises that sound like "Well, if I run out of wood, I can always raid your stash". Hmm. To protect Mt Cowboy, I'd better cut some more dry stuff to make sure she gets through the winter since she is likely to be renting locally for a while.

First cab off the rank, this downed peppermint that I had had a minor go at last year. That was before I had the timberjack to get it out of the dirt. I used Limby to get through this one, which he did pretty smartly.

20th Jun 2.jpg

And then after a few minutes of Fiskaring, we had this. One hit splits, all of them.

20th Jun 3.jpg

Then on the other side of this little clump was this small one. Might as well make it's acquaintance with the 460 workhorse, I figured.

20th Jun 1.jpg

Didn't bother splitting these ones.

20th Jun 4.jpg

About 5 metres away there were these two...

20th Jun 5.jpg

20th Jun 7.jpg

Which, after a bit of 460 action and Fiskaring, became this...

20th Jun 6.jpg

There was also another one of similar size that I seem to have failed to take pics of. Anyway, that was an hour or two on Tuesday arvo, about a tank and a half through the 460 and a bit under half through Limby. Maybe 2 cubes of dry peppermint all up. We have had a great run of clear weather, maximums reaching about 13 deg C and minimums cold enough to get frost. Great weather to cut in. It's clouding up a bit now though and we might get some rain in the next couple of days and some snow up higher. I'm going to go out tomorrow and do a few trips to ferry this stuff back to my place where it can sit until the Lady Farmer moves and then I'll drop it off there.

:)

Cowboy I have cut 28" iron bark with my 009 with a 14" bar. It did it but hell it was painfully slow. Still better than a hand saw. The small saw is so much nicer to use on small stuff and big saw is so much nicer to use on big stuff.

You see, now you're just proving my point. Neil is an important and busy man who doesn't have time to muck about with tiny saws that are painfully slow.

Your comment about @KiwiBro 's Dolmar has some merit. At least it wouldn't be a lemon. :)

Shipping might kill it, but if he's keen we might be able to work something out. Heck, either that or the 241 (never thought I'd ever contemplate selling either but the 261 has changed my mind). I think both will go up for sale once my head wins the battle with my addiction. Enabling justification will be something along the lines of it freeing up $ for another workshop tool - I need a new thicknesser and table saw and Leigh dovetail jig and dust extractor, and, and....
new tyres. Yeah, that's it...new tyres.

I'm actually thinking London Neil could be the most dedicated scrounger here. Would have to be some of the toughest scrounge conditions in the world.
So I don't need to hand my scroungers card in then, despite my ickle saw?

Cowboy. I disagree on Neil's current little saw, I would say he will still use it on small stuff up to 10". So much nicer to use on small stuff. You need to get yourself a small saw to appreciate (when your cutting small stuff). I'd go down the Kiwibro route though.
That would be my plan, ms180 is lovely and light so use that for upto about 8-9" hardwood, 10" softwood, then use a larger saw for the 12" upwards bits and the noodling of the nasties.

KiwiBro... Man I'd love to own a MMS 261 v2. Did it the total cost end up less then buying new local?

WTF is an MMWS or MMS? just as i thought i was starting to get my head around the stihl naming system (and husky and dolmar leave me very baffled still) I've considered a 024/240/241 or 260/261 briefly. I think either, no, I know either would be big enough for the occasional bigger bits I get. I've been concentrated on 034/036/038 on ebay as they seem no more or even cheaper, I think the larger saws aren't sought so much by the middle class wood burning masses that are growing at speed in the uk (100 000 stove installs a year apparently). As for KiwiBros dolmar, well that is an interesting thought! Dolmar/makita is not a big brand here but t does exist. My preference is stihl and second husky as those are THE 2 brands here and fr jones, my dealer just 3 miles away, does those 2. However dolmar might be more awkward to support but supportable I'm sure. If i don't get the stihl I could try and work out what a fair price over here would be for the saw although i suspect shipping would kill any deal.
Its amazing isn't it? We've 5 English speaking nations spanning about 18 hours of tie zones (err, NZ GMT+11? UK on British summer time GMT+1, to who's furthest west? any Californians at 8 hours behind?) all that and yet I'm getting loads of help and even suggested 'saw deals, incredible! :cheers:

As an owner of plenty of big saws I still prefer small saws with small wood.

Absolutely agree, as per my pics above.

I'll qualify my comments about smaller saws. If we had those softwood trees that are bristling with millions of tiny branches everywhere that have to be stripped off before bucking, I could be talked into a saw smaller than the 460 for that. Fortunately, those don't exist near me which is why my 50cc saw has sat unused for 7 years since I got the 460.

Latest posts

Back