Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neal, I might have a running Homelite XL 700 (77cc's) or an XL 923 (82 cc's) I could donate if you pick up the shipping. I have one XL 924 with a 30" bar and it pulls it well, but that's a keeper. I have to check the shed. I keep saying I'm going to sell off the old saws and then one of my old Pro friends will come by with a pile of old Homelites they cleaned out of their shop, Joe.

I went out to the Lady Farm the other day as she is still there and was down to her last two bits of firewood. So I took Limby and the workhorse out for a gallop. There was an area near where I've been cutting recently where there were a number of dead peppermints. I had been saving these for Lady Farmer wood. There were plenty of likely candidates.

View attachment 585401

Also, being a drier spot, there's fewer termites eating half your wood.

View attachment 585402

They generally prefer cooler, shadier spots and can get quite large but these ones are on a north facing slope and cop the full sun. This one was the largest one at about 18 inches at the base.

View attachment 585403

There are plenty to work through and any leftovers can always come home with me.

View attachment 585404

:)
Peppermint?

hottest day of the year so far and south london hit 30C (86F). While my OH and little girl had a nap I did the 'mad dogs and Englishmen' thing and swung the fiskars and stihl maul for 2 hours in the heat of the day. The fir and silver birch was easy, the ash continues to be a battle, although I broke up a fair bit I alo tossed more into the 'noodle further/completely to stove size' pile.
I have an axe, maul and small electric splitter that works great. I've had it for ten years and it's split at least 40 cords and going strong.
Ever think of one for tougher-than-hand splits?
Got mine half price for $249 CAD
0603882_1.jpg

Where did that info come from? Last I knew they were 13.2 lbs, which is not on the light side for 60 cc saws. FYI, I believe the new 362 (Ver II) is under 12.5 lbs.
Probably an illusion due to the superior balance and handling characteristics of the Husky thanks to that outboard clutch. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Sorry I had to say it.

Neal, I might have a running Homelite XL 700 (77cc's) or an XL 923 (82 cc's) I could donate if you pick up the shipping. I have one XL 924 with a 30" bar and it pulls it well, but that's a keeper. I have to check the shed. I keep saying I'm going to sell off the old saws and then one of my old Pro friends will come by with a pile of old Homelites they cleaned out of their shop, Joe.

wow that is exceptionally generous of you joe! let's wait a moment though, 32 minutes to go and I'm still the only bidder on the 038AVS

Peppermint?

Yep, narrow and broad leaved peppermint - e. radiata and e. dives. The leaves smell like peppermint when crushed and the wood smoke is quite pleasant too. Pops and crackles a bit so it's better in the combustion heater than the open fire.

Pros: Easy to cut and very easy to split, very nice coals and low ash. Common around here.
Cons: Termite prone, there are denser eucalypts around like red gum, several box species and ironbark.

Still, it is my favourite of the common species in my immediate area and for time invested in cutting and splitting it is a great compromise.

wow that is exceptionally generous of you joe! let's wait a moment though, 32 minutes to go and I'm still the only bidder on the 038AVS

Wow, can you feel the tension! Will he get it or won't he?

:dancing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/stihl-038-super-chainsaw-with-spare-sthil-chain-/132229584473?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=5OCLb8gfKvsa7KkCJCUFIvAdkDg%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Hopefully it is in full working order as described. So long as I don't pick up something wrong with it on collection, then I'll put up a thread in the chainsaw forum in due course, with a link of course.

yay!
Excellent news. You're a real man now :happybanana:.

That would be my plan, ms180 is lovely and light so use that for upto about 8-9" hardwood, 10" softwood, then use a larger saw for the 12" upwards bits and the noodling of the nasties.

Once you get your mitts on the 038 there is no way you will use the MS180 on up to 9 inch hardwood or anywhere near it. You're going to love the 038 "long time".

That's probably a nicer saw than the XL 700. It runs but, I think the piston looked scored, that's why I set it aside. It looks almost new. The guy I got it from said he had been running it on ether, I was going to clean up the cylinder and put new rings in it and never made it happen, Joe.

Well done London Neil, those 038's are one of the ultimate firewood saws heaps of torque broad base (won't roll over when you set it down) plenty of spare parts.
I live in a built up suburban area too probebly not as dense as your area and I've run my Dolmar 7900 plenty of times and its bloody loud. If worried about the neighbors just take a sickie and do all your big cutting on a week day when their all at work.

Back