Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love those Heddo
looks awesome @Wood Nazi . wish i had time to do stuff like that but produce season keeps me to busy. would like to get the old "55 johnson out and run it and work some top water lures.
001.jpg
this and this.
shopping
I love fishing for Smallmouth Bass on topwaters like the Heddon torpedo and tiny topedo. So much fun and they love them too.

looks awesome @Wood Nazi . wish i had time to do stuff like that but produce season keeps me to busy. would like to get the old "55 johnson out and run it and work some top water lures.
001.jpg
this and this.
shopping
I had a 3hp evinrude similar to that. Got a little 2 hp mariner that pushes either a canoe or a 12' aluminum. Fish bite on rainy days too.

Just looked up where Keady , Ontario is. Looks like you have a real nice spot there. Wife has a friend that lives in Owen Sound. Been there, but had no idea where your place was. Cool.
We are 15 min from Owen Sound. If you come visit your friends, come on a Tuesday, the Keady market is worth seeing.

I do believe that that Lion on the grill is a Peugeot, Joe.

That's a Holden, the Australian subsidiary of GM. However, local production ceases in October and while cars will be produced in Asia somewhere, imported and badged as Holdens there won't be any more V8s, just poncy turbo V6s! I had always wanted one and I figured that I had better get a move on. Specifically, it is an SS Redline and uses the 378ci LS3 from the Corvette. I'm going to have to take a few more pics and post them so I'll apologise in advance for those of you who aren't into cars. The Redline has been imported to the US and sold as the SS.

It's August 9th, the 9th day of the 8th month, 49 days after the summer equinox, it should be hot, HOT! However as has become common for the last 5-10 years, after a good late spring and early summer we are now having a wash out. 15C and p155ing it down. I've lit the stove, love it! :)

This is when you mention to your wife the size of your wood pile and how nice it is to be warm on those cold summer days and how since you're already burning now, you'd better stock up some more for later! Did you get that eucalypt?

, you'd better stock up some more for later! Did you get that eucalypt?

That would mean going out in the pouring rain rather than sitting by the stove. it can wait.

Nice car btw. Whats the power from it? you can talk kW, or PS, I'll understand, or bhp for our friends.

That's a Holden, the Australian subsidiary of GM. However, local production ceases in October and while cars will be produced in Asia somewhere, imported and badged as Holdens there won't be any more V8s, just poncy turbo V6s! I had always wanted one and I figured that I had better get a move on. Specifically, it is an SS Redline and uses the 378ci LS3 from the Corvette. I'm going to have to take a few more pics and post them so I'll apologise in advance for those of you who aren't into cars. The Redline has been imported to the US and sold as the SS.
Cool, I've heard of the Holden, but never seen one. I'm still looking for an Aussie Chrysler Ute, maybe a 56, the year I was born, with a 354 Chrysler Hemi. Hard to find, Joe.

Wow, it's a picture festival in here today. Well, Cowgirl had laughing rights yesterday going skiing in pristine conditions. But today the shoe was on the other foot. Needed new tyres.

View attachment 595171

And a new car to go with them.

View attachment 595172

I'll admit I did firm up a bit as I laid 6.2L of justice down on the windy bits coming home :rock: .
I can"t get to the bush unless I drive over the beans and getting stir crazy so I did something that I very seldom do. I got our my sprayer. Painted the blade, the mods to my Speeco , one wagon and the log arch. Put hitches on them so I could pull a set of trains too.

View attachment 595162 View attachment 595163 View attachment 595164
@cantoo Do you have any close-up pics of the hitch on the back of your splitter? Is that removable?

IMG_1811.JPG Cleaned out the chicken coop this evening and that means I need more bedding. So I plunked a piece of pine on the blocks, fired up Excalibur and made oodles of noodles! Lord how I love this saw! Chicken noodles wasn't enough so I cut some ash and maple off the pile as well and made a stack in front of the splitter. If you have a Stihl saw and want it to run better, ask MustangMike for advice. Did I mention how I really love this saw?

So I went & cleaned up the oak tree. Thing was big & dead, ready to burn this winter. That's awesome cause now I'm ahead of the game, meaning I'll have trees that I cut this spring, able to lay & season. Was heavy heavy stuff. Took me 2 loads. So I took from my sisters neighbor

And brought it to my spot in the woods, about a 20 minute ride away.
d90aa4252c58ad69f0cc1595b25c1176.jpg
15f30ee0878d5ff6d13f110f448869fa.jpg

Impossible Turkey Pot Pie

Erik B, it is removable. I just welded a receiver onto the splitter beam. The one picture shows where you could weld it on to a regular Speeco beam and it would be up out of the way. Also showed a pic of my Steiner one. I always buy a few when they are on sale and use them sooner or later. Price is shown for the big drop hitch too, the ball was extra.
IMG_20170809_201012.jpg IMG_20170809_201022.jpg IMG_20170809_200951.jpg

The Redline has been imported to the US and sold as the SS.

Yes, "has been" being past tense. My Nephew had one in his dealership, and wanted me to buy it. Real nice car, 4 door, the Vette motor, and a Stick! But, I already got my Stang! My nephew said it was the last of them, and it was imported from down under.

Some pics from last weekends fishing trip. The food boat anchored out to thwart bears.View attachment 595133 Sunset over my Johnson. Lol. View attachment 595134 Scrounging snacks, wild blueberries.View attachment 595135 Yours truly with a shore lunch smallmouth and a bad case of hat hair! (More fish on the stringer)View attachment 595136 And finally to the scrounge. A cedar (I even got paid for cutting this tree) swedish candle worked mint to get our fire going and smelled great. It was center rotted so I dropped some charcoal in it as well and when it burned down, we cooked steak and potatoes. A good trip and time spent with my sons. View attachment 595137
Great pictures WN.
Looks like a great time.
Glad I've gotten out fishing with my son this summer a bit, kids get old to fast, gotta make the most of it while you can.

Wow, it's a picture festival in here today. Well, Cowgirl had laughing rights yesterday going skiing in pristine conditions. But today the shoe was on the other foot. Needed new tyres.

View attachment 595171

And a new car to go with them.

View attachment 595172

I'll admit I did firm up a bit as I laid 6.2L of justice down on the windy bits coming home :rock: .
I like the new tires:rock2:.
I'm going to have to take a few more pics and post them
I'll forgive you :yes:.

Anyone here feel like lending your expertise on guessing how many cord of wood I have here? I usually do a much better job at keeping track of the loads I bring home, but between having to leave early & get one of the kids or rain etc, I just have no idea. In the pics where the 2 X 4's are, I used to make towers out of the wood. But I put up the 2 X 4's this year. And I'm thinking this way there's allot more wood then doing the towers. So its basically 17½ feet long by 5 feet high. The wood is mostly cut at 16 inches. I put on top all the smaller pieces, chunks, small rounds etc. And they are on pallets. Thanks for your help guys, here's the pics. I know, more pics lol
a843b44d003b0c2361fa0697288ab7c9.jpg
820d86b017336fcd0e715024f0d0f31a.jpg
b69c2e7f374d7266d06fc3d4ec0f23d8.jpg

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

Yes, "has been" being past tense. My Nephew had one in his dealership, and wanted me to buy it. Real nice car, 4 door, the Vette motor, and a Stick! But, I already got my Stang! My nephew said it was the last of them, and it was imported from down under.

Yep, that's the one...so @MechanicMatt might recognise it. I'd happily have bought a Mustang but there's a bit of nostalgia in this being the last of the line. And I go for Holdens like I go for Stihls. What's really cool (apart from the way that it goes like a cut cat) is the sound. One of the Holden engineers designed a bimodal exhaust that when you're just tooling around quietly keeps the noise down but depress the loud pedal past a certain (fairly early) point and it opens up some valve in the exhaust and it roars :crazy2:. The engineer passed away as it was coming into production in 2015 and they named the "Baillie Tip" after him. The crackle and pop on the overrun is great as well. The tip also opens up when you start it up so anyone walking behind the car gets a fair surprise. In addition, there's a mechanical sound enhancer which pipes noise from the engine bay into the cabin on the driver's side. That's it to the left of the engine. I've been watching with disapproval as V8s have got quieter and quieter over time. No such problem with this one.

10th Aug 4.jpg

I don't know how half of the stuff in here works.

10th Aug 2.jpg

There's collision warnings, blind spot warnings, lane departure warnings, parallel park assist, 90* park assist to do it all for you. For now, I don't trust those gizmos and rather drive it myself so I've turned some of that stuff off but maybe I'll get lazy over time and use it.

10th Aug 6.jpg

But I do like the heads up display that can put all sorts of stuff up on the windscreen for you. It's a bit below your eyeline, easy to see and remarkably unobtrusive when you're driving.

10th Aug 7.jpg

Plenty of cow in the interior. And @MustangMike , I reckon it is wrong to get an auto in a car like this. These are the last of the line and the dealer had only been allocated an auto by Holden but I leant on him until he found me a manual.

10th Aug 1.jpg

These bonnet vents obviously make it go faster ;). It's good for 304kW, @LondonNeil

10th Aug 5.jpg

I have to go back down to work now. Too bad, I'll have to make some more noise just so the neighbours will know I'm heading down.

10th Aug 3.jpg

:)

Yep, that's the one...so @MechanicMatt might recognise it. I'd happily have bought a Mustang but there's a bit of nostalgia in this being the last of the line. And I go for Holdens like I go for Stihls. What's really cool (apart from the way that it goes like a cut cat) is the sound. One of the Holden engineers designed a bimodal exhaust that when you're just tooling around quietly keeps the noise down but depress the loud pedal past a certain (fairly early) point and it opens up some valve in the exhaust and it roars :crazy2:. The engineer passed away as it was coming into production in 2015 and they named the "Baillie Tip" after him. The crackle and pop on the overrun is great as well. The tip also opens up when you start it up so anyone walking behind the car gets a fair surprise. In addition, there's a mechanical sound enhancer which pipes noise from the engine bay into the cabin on the driver's side. That's it to the left of the engine. I've been watching with disapproval as V8s have got quieter and quieter over time. No such problem with this one.

View attachment 595449

I don't know how half of the stuff in here works.

View attachment 595450

There's collision warnings, blind spot warnings, lane departure warnings, parallel park assist, 90* park assist to do it all for you. For now, I don't trust those gizmos and rather drive it myself so I've turned some of that stuff off but maybe I'll get lazy over time and use it.

View attachment 595458

But I do like the heads up display that can put all sorts of stuff up on the windscreen for you. It's a bit below your eyeline, easy to see and remarkably unobtrusive when you're driving.

View attachment 595457

Plenty of cow in the interior. And @MustangMike , I reckon it is wrong to get an auto in a car like this. These are the last of the line and the dealer had only been allocated an auto by Holden but I leant on him until he found me a manual.

View attachment 595453

These bonnet vents obviously make it go faster ;). It's good for 304kW, @LondonNeil

View attachment 595451

I have to go back down to work now. Too bad, I'll have to make some more noise just so the neighbours will know I'm heading down.

View attachment 595452

:)
awesome car Cowboy. :rock2: how much wood fits in the boot ? :rolleyes::laugh:

Back