Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hJqhHwVySGtRTfqzIVO33oyw-WD6Kx-tWsLYsoyWMnqJ7Ni8iOFhj-mSIo0QTA4heUUSd3blwcQdwwxKLVyDhZmbkp8AbL8CMbuhs2HfDY2bSbPRg4F43LLYvSWGPPPiABjvrD8UzlHhRyJih5hKOk2hyIo8_gGpy5kwpreZ60Ps_krdP6dvzFRzETXgDNzpKBrH6eyZaLjW3zj9KWruaA2pf54NWeMlzVCj5D6bcpAWjhybzJ6ZvubGVbT-5Sx-nzN3JZM2WBlCTrQeOPyIRi6Mq_y-uuBWzjHeq7sXwBvPtfC7zJuKWxwmzysKP523z6U-ej18eURUB7wbo94FC3WiEsSo4FxJXdPNnGvEU2di2gWhl_ZA09atxy1Pn3TR7ZCJcLdqYaW20WjQ-JcsutzrhUy8itkjcSOugkbC0Kxb21K71n90MOBh3h69FGnbbnMh6GXuQmr51dwOL7IuAJ5ceZQcik4IfHBmbsvQjykOaaU2kURJul4cgow_LPqC0qgOpi_1qN5wliOy2IUdWdvMOePtQCRGJdKucxhricOu8nlfv8R7zHBEJ-zPaHCkwQ8eaBGAuvIBDEoshJld6VD-Cz1LuPZa3sXXHolSBi5bVaSs9sTvp-w2Hfg8zbetXqj77yiJC00Mtfn1OHCx8TcGLVEZLiIZ2qtv5QM_u0Id4Uc=w1668-h938-no

That 3in1 file guide does a fair job .

I cant do that. The 395 either drags the log to me or drags me to the log.
The log? Or the round? If the latter, then how about noodling (as opposed to ripping, but with a ripping component because of the bar angle in the log) the log or large sections thereof, before bucking? Could leave enough meat to keep the log together, then buck, roll rounds up ramps into the truck, then clip 'em with the top of the bar of a small saw to break 'em apart when get home. Easier handling ut not as tight stacking in the truck. But would still need a fairly long B&C to noodle a largish diameter log.

It's a 395 - let the big dog eat :). In a less PC/safety conscious world, I'd suggest removing the clutch cover or cutting one down and set those long noodles free. It sure is fun. Great big rooster tails of noodles.

The log? Or the round? If the latter, then how about noodling (as opposed to ripping, but with a ripping component because of the bar angle in the log) the log or large sections thereof, before bucking? Could leave enough meat to keep the log together, then buck, roll rounds up ramps into the truck, then clip 'em with the top of the bar of a small saw to break 'em apart when get home. Easier handling ut not as tight stacking in the truck. But would still need a fairly long B&C to noodle a largish diameter log.

It's a 395 - let the big dog eat :). In a less PC/safety conscious world, I'd suggest removing the clutch cover or cutting one down and set those long noodles free. It sure is fun. Great big rooster tails of noodles.
wait...I thought noodling WAS ripping. If I set a round end up and try to cut down from the top the rip chain sucks. If I lay it on its side and splay (rip) it then the rip chain is awesome. I thought a rip chain would be better at noodling than a crosscut chain(?)

Log plan view:
NOODLE.jpg

The closer the bar gets to being 90 degress across the log while moving along the grain, the more a ripping chain is desirable (especially in dense timber and bigger timber). When noodling, the bar is parallel to the grain direction.

As you have found, ripping (with any chain, even rip chain) is slow going compared to noodling or cross cutting. Different animal altogether.

One of these days someone is going to come up with a ripoodle slabbing mill, where a long but incredibly stiff B&C pivots vertically and mows through the log in one or two passes depending on how big the log is, cutting slabs with a semi-rip/semi-noodle/ripoodle manner in 1/3 the time compared to ripping. Not sure how they would keep it oiled nor stop the tip from wandering...but someone will figure it out.

Rip chain is designed for milling, but may also noodle better. Regular chain is designed for crosscut. The only difference is Rip Chain is usually filed at a 10 degree angel instead of 30 degree.

IMO, Square file (at standard angles) is better for all of it.
Have you ever had the corners cave in when cutting dense timber?
Would round-ground full chisel cave before square ground/filed?
Anyone tried carbide chain in dense timber and if so, which flavour (if there are more than one)?

this is where It will be starting this heating seasons, wood cutting on 11 acres of what's left from a logging operation left half done and left a mess! that poor ole logger will not see another contract sales from the county or state again! left a garbage hole, grease and hyd fluid/oil pit to who ever to clean up? nice part is there are many piles of choked logs still laying in the mess. probably 3/4 cord in anyone of them. this is a side hill with ponds and the 8th clearest natural lake in the state being less then a 1/4 mile to waters edge. leaves me bewildered as to why there was never a silt fence established in the contract?DSC07437.JPG DSC07438.JPG DSC07439.JPG

Anyone tried carbide chain in dense timber and if so, which flavour (if there are more than one)?

Yes, I have had the corners on full chisel cave when cutting dry southern bluegum (e.globulus). Some corners bent down, some bent backwards. Using full chisel carbide on the same wood resulted in many broken cutters. Semi chisel is the only way in that wood and harder.

I find that jusst removing the chain catcher helps quite a bit. For my 441 I promoted an old clutch cover (no chain catcher) to use when noodling. 441 has the chain catcher on the cover not the engine.

Yes, I have had the corners on full chisel cave when cutting dry southern bluegum (e.globulus). Some corners bent down, some bent backwards. Using full chisel carbide on the same wood resulted in many broken cutters. Semi chisel is the only way in that wood and harder.
Same here, with round ground full chisel. Would be keen to see if the same thing happens with square ground/filed. I suspect it would. Nothing like starting a cut on a big/dry gum or Puriri (a native Vitex here) and the bar and chain slide sideways rather than dig in. Experience has taught me to move on unless I have a heap of sharp semi-chisel, time on my side, and want a challenge.

Would be keen to see how a square ground/filed full chisel chain would go in that scenario, and also how it would handle ripping the log for slabs. There are few such logs I want to slab this Summer that I have put aside (in other words, gave up on because the buggers were too hard to cut/split into firewood). But I can't square file to save myself and don't know anyone here who can or who has a square grinder.

I have never had the corners of my square file cave, but our wood is not as hard as yours. However, I have cut both Hickory & Black Locust w/o any problem.

Square should hold up better than round file cause round is going to produce a thinner point at the corner, so give square a try and see if it works.

Must be pretty tough stuff if it is breaking carbide! Unfortunately, harder often means more brittle.

Back