Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Scrounging firewood

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by mainewoods, Feb 23, 2014.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff ArboristSite Guru

Just go light it on fire. It's your wood.

2. coryj

coryj ArboristSite Member

It's a bow saw. I believe they were mainly used for bucking pulpwood.

It was at a neat show they hold every year here in central Virginia. The Somerset Steam and Gas Pasture Party http://www.somersetsteamandgas.org/pasture_party.html A former colleague of mine owns an old Frick and has it out there. My 9 year old and 4 year old got to go on a ride around the grounds on it. There are a lot of old steam powered tractors, steam powered saw mill, old cars and trucks, tractor pulls, hit and miss engines, and modern stuff too. Those saws were just sitting on the ground with no one around. Some neat old saws to be sure.

3. turnkey4099

turnkey4099 Tree Freak

Yep. IIANM, OSHA has banned them.

svk, MustangMike, Cowboy254 and 3 others like this.
  4. Cowboy254

Cowboy254 Amateur wood cutter, married to pro wood burner

Some people really are b@stards.

5. chipper1

chipper1 Tree Freak

And California:laughing:.
    Sorry, my sarcasm is really kicking in.

6. chipper1

chipper1 Tree Freak

@MustangMike I was thinking of you when I scrounged this up yesterday. The guy has a 2011 or 12 Shelby 500 and he was restoring a 71 with a 351 Boss :baba:.
    20170911_180555.jpg

7. farmer steve

farmer steve outstanding in my field, 5150

:rock2::rock2::rock2:

8. JustJeff

IMG_1981.JPG Got the backing sheets welded on my fenders tonight (well one is done, the other is just fit together). Hope to finish tomorrow evening and get them hung. I have a dream that one day this thing will be finished and full of firewood!

Ranchers-son, chipper1, svk and 7 others like this.
  9. MustangMike

MustangMike Addicted to ArboristSite

Sounds great, those are some nice cars, but all I see is a saw!!! The 351 Boss was a strong running motor. The Boss 302 and Z-28 302 were neck & neck, but the Boss 351 destroyed the Z-28 350. Too bad is was so close to the end of "real performance" for quite some time to come.

10. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

I'm a Mopar guy, so I had to do a search on the Boss 351. I had two friends in high school, one had a Boss 302, and the other a Boss 429. I remember the 351 Windsor and the 351 Cleveland. My room mate had a 70-71 Torino with a 429 Super Cobra Jet and the 430 Detroit Locker rear, it was a blast. Was orange with a shaker hood and multi colored stripes, I think that's one Ford I'd own, Joe.

11. MustangMike

The 351 Cleveland had very large canted valve heads, valves & ports were larger than on my 427 Ford.

The Boss 302 had modified 351 C heads on it and a Mechanical cam, really was too much for the street.

The Boss 351 was basically a Cleveland with Mechanical cam, the addl size helped it use those big heads, but a lot or racers still put 351 C 2 bbl heads on their motors, the 4V heads really only worked at high RPMs.

12. al-k

al-k ArboristSite Operative

when I was in Georgia in the late 70 we had saws like that, made it easy to cut on the ground with out bending over so much.

13. SeMoTony

SeMoTony Addicted to ArboristSite

Skip chisel on a long bar does an interesting job noodling in my experience:chop:even chisel chain on my ms-170 noodles better than semi-chisel. Noodle milling is an option not done as well with ripping chain; which is designed to cut close to 90 degrees from a noodle cut.Cutting the end grain is what ripping chain is sposed to be best with about 10 angle on cutters. I've found it cuts small chips that don't clear well. Milling with square chisel skip cuts larger chips and clears better in my experience with white oak and ash. Noodling any logs is every bit as good for me.
    Enjoy safely please

14. Haywire

Haywire ArboristSite Operative

Ash flurries and an eerie sky today. We sure could use ol' man Hatfield to come cook us up some rain.

[​IMG]

15. svk

svk Firewood and Saw Collector

Ah old cars. I had a 68' Chevelle SS396. We put in a .030 over 454 and it ran strong.

I have owned several older Chevys and Fords. If I had to build a cheap performance car or truck it would definitely be based of the 460 Ford motor as they are readily available and don't cost an arm and a leg like anything that is related to BBC.

16. woodchip rookie

woodchip rookie ArboristSite Operative

I got a 1984 E-350 w/a 460 and a C-6 trans. It will outrun my 01 F-350 6.8L V-10

17. JustJeff

Neither one of em will drive past gas pumps! Lol.

18. chipper1

chipper1 Tree Freak

Sorry Mike.
    He had told me about them on the way there, so I had my phone at the ready, but we were in a garage he works out of. I gave him the cash for the saw as he was needing to leave for his sons football practice, then I tossed the 372 in the back and set my phone in the truck as I was ready to leave. The he says, hey before you leave..., now I'm out of the car without my phone and he takes me to the other garage :omg:.
    I didn't want to run back to the truck, he was in a hurry, but had to at least show them off :).

19. MustangMike

The 429/460 are very powerful, the problem with them (in cars) is they were very heavy, and worse, the bore spacing made the blocks too long. The bore on the 429/460 is huge.

With the engine against the fire wall, too much of it went in front of the front wheels, ruining your launch and handling. That is why in 1969 many of the NASCAR guys ripped the Boss 429s out (with the aluminum heads they were just as light as a 427) and put their old 427s back in.

Was simply a case of an engine being stuck in a car it was not designed to be in.

20. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

Cross Bias Rip Noodle.png

Philbert