Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1985.JPG My scrounging buggy is starting to take shape. Still have a bunch of work to do but at least it's mostly in one piece! I even used a saw in the construction, I cut a couple pieces off a block of ash (scrounged of course) to space fenders up off wheels. If you look closely you can see the chips by the rear wheel.

Noodling and Milling are very different, although the result may look the same. Milling is from the end, and produces very fine saw dust (much smaller than a chip). Noodling, conversely, peels the fiber off the log producing very long chips. You have to think of how the grain in the wood goes.

Milling is the toughest on a saw, takes the most time, and produces lots of "fines" to ingest. Rip chain is designed for milling, the reduced angle prevents the chain from dulling as fast as regular chain.

Fruit of the scrounge. Autumn is starting to push summer aside, in the evenings at least, and the stove is in action to fend off the slight chill. Felt good to roll the tarp back on the pile while thinking to myself 'i laid this down about May 2016, ought to be nicely dry....'. Tap tap a few splits together to hear that bowling pin 'tink, tink' and fill a sack to carry inside. Softwoods, cypress mainly, it's what I got last year. I don't mind, it burns bloomin' hot. Feeling great to use my harvest.

Hey all, new guy here. Discovered your corner of the web after looking around elsewhere and a few folks said this was a good spot for those who like to cut, split, and stack their own wood. I got a great deal on two Husky 455 Ranchers that were practically new. I left the 20" bar on one and put a 16" on the other. Over the course of the late spring and summer I've scrounged roughly 3-4 cords of mixed wood. I'd have more but the wife says no. We use our fireplace from late fall to early spring but mostly as ambiance and single room heat since it pulls cool air into the rest of the drafty old house. Next spring I want to put in a woodstove or something to really help cut back on heating bills. What is the preferred image hosting site around here and I'll share some photos?

Put a big EPA insert in that fireplace and get an outside air kit for it so it drafts as little as possible from the house
EPA? Outside air kit? I'm new to all this, is there a sticky with common terms and abbreviations that I could reference?
Just upload the pic from your computer to this site. If you look at the little box that says upload a file, you can select the pic off your computer and put it in your post. Hosting sites doesnt always work for everybody unless they are paying for the hosting.
Thanks, I'll have to see if I can upload direct from my phone!

Justjeff, I bought a sawmill and decided I needed to put a trailer under it. I already had a trailer frame ready for it but decided I might get one with a little longer bed. Went to my buddy's place "just to look". That didn't end well, bought 2 more trailers. I told her the trailers were pretty much free because now I can cut my own floors with the sawmill. Then I ran. More future projects in mind for them. I'm keeping an eye out for auction sales with steel to buy. I hate going to Canada Steel. This makes somewhere close to 25 trailers now, she is weak.
IMG_20170910_132910.jpg IMG_20170909_150755.jpg IMG_20170909_114830.jpg

Justjeff, I bought a sawmill and decided I needed to put a trailer under it. I already had a trailer frame ready for it but decided I might get one with a little longer bed. Went to my buddy's place "just to look". That didn't end well, bought 2 more trailers. I told her the trailers were pretty much free because now I can cut my own floors with the sawmill. Then I ran. More future projects in mind for them. I'm keeping an eye out for auction sales with steel to buy. I hate going to Canada Steel. This makes somewhere close to 25 trailers now, she is weak.
View attachment 601585 View attachment 601586 View attachment 601587
Nice score! My steel came from Canada steel. I get it at cost from work and we buy a lot of steel. Haven't tallied my bill yet but I think I'm in about $150. 2x2 1/4 angle for extra floor braces. 2x2 3/16 for rails and uprights and 1/8 checker plate for fenders. It would be awesome to be able to cut your own floor boards. I'd want to cut my way into the woods and set that thing up and build my own cabin.

Justjeff, she won't allow me to watch the DIY offgrid shows anymore. Says she's going to cancel the Discovery channel and get the **** channel. I get into too much trouble watching Discovery.
I can't wait to use the sawmill but I have so many things to do before snow and the beans will be coming off soon so I will have to head into the bush while I can get there.

Over the course of the late spring and summer I've scrounged roughly 3-4 cords of mixed wood. I'd have more but the wife says no.

So why did you stop :wtf: ?

The many modes of spousal disapproval are but hints,
as @cantoo with his spousal inflicted hospital visits can attest.
But you must keep your family warm in the wints'
Thus, the true scrounger cannot rest.

Alright, I admit it. My poem sucked. But it is Friday arvo in Australia and I've had 6 beers. Now is probably not a good time to scrounge.

Hey guys, have you heard that the Australian gummint is putting in place emission restrictions on non-road spark ignited engines from 2019? Which is code for 2-strokes. Boat outboards, hedge trimmers, leaf blowers, and chainsaws! F-me, I'm livid. This is (in theory) a conservative government doing this :angry::angry:.

They snuck out the announcement on the day that the voting public received their forms for the plebiscite on gay marriage so that no-one would notice.

Better stock up on Limbys while I have the chance. :chainsaw:

Back