Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pffft , I have 3 hydros , 1 mechanical splitter , the parts to build another , maybe 8 splitting axes/mauls plus a half dozen wedges , chainsaws , more than 15 but less than 3 if you ask my wife , hmmmm , nope , I don't have a problem , no siree lol
I have found that when hand splitting and I get one of those lovely rounds that if I noodle a quarter to half of the round it will split quite easily down the cut .

The Fiskars depends on speed and sharpness to work efficiently, but I have split some real big rounds with it, just work a line across them. Accuracy is key.

Up at my property we have predominately Ash, Cherry and Hard Maple. Because it has been logged, rounds are never over 20".

I have never bothered to bring the hydro up there, the Fiskars splits it all. I don't remember the last time I felt I had to noodle something up there.

I will say that letting wood get dry and cold can make things a lot easier.

I have a hydraulic splitter. Just a cylinder on a frame. My little tractor doesn't have rear hydraulics so I run it using the loader valve. It's a bit of a pain reaching behind to operate the valve but it does split most things I put it to. Better than beating my brains out. When I get some straight grain stuff, I find it as easy to hand split. I'd love a good splitter with its own motor but I have a hard time parting with the price of 3-4 years of wood for one. I'm going to keep my eye open for a sale on fiskars. They're $80 or better around here.

I have a hydraulic splitter. Just a cylinder on a frame. My little tractor doesn't have rear hydraulics so I run it using the loader valve. It's a bit of a pain reaching behind to operate the valve but it does split most things I put it to. Better than beating my brains out. When I get some straight grain stuff, I find it as easy to hand split. I'd love a good splitter with its own motor but I have a hard time parting with the price of 3-4 years of wood for one. I'm going to keep my eye open for a sale on fiskars. They're $80 or better around here.
Build your own power pack.

Build your own power pack.
I've thought about it. I have a 5hp Honda. 200 for a pump, about 75 for adapter and coupling, 150 for valve..hoses, filter, fittings, reservoir. Be 5-600 in that project I bet. One of these days, I'll cough up the money for a used one.

Hand splitting is a lot of fun when the wood cooperates. Then you have the patience for the odd tough piece. When splitting species where every round it a battle it loses it's enjoyment quickly lol.

Agree. I do a lot of manual splitting with the x27 and a wedge/sledge to bust the big rounds before slaughtering them with the x27. Anything that 'looks' tough, knotty,stringy, etc gets kicked to the 'splitter pile'. Rejects from that go on to the 'noodle pile'. I have stuff to be noodled that have been there for several years, it usually doesn't get to be a pile of any size.

They've come down some here. $53 last week at WalMart for the splitting ax.

I may have to try one out..... I have a 6lb and 10lb Mauls 26 ton splitter I did take an old motorcycle tire and set it on a stump to hold the wood upright
so after every swing I didn't have to stand it back up.... made things faster and my wife is going to start noodling the knotty stuff:)
you can try mine next time your over Dave. Stihl waitin on the farmer to pick his corn so we can take that big dead oak down. probably later in october.

I am in Canada so add 30 cents on the dollar exchange, plus whatever tariff, usually around 20%. And heap our hst tax at the god fearing rate of %13 on top of that!
So $53 + 50% = $79.50 plus tax is $89.84 and oh yeah, we don't have pennies anymore so round that up to $89.85!
Don't even get me started about our government! So you can see why I work so hard to heat my house for free.

I am in Canada so add 30 cents on the dollar exchange, plus whatever tariff, usually around 20%. And heap our hst tax at the god fearing rate of %13 on top of that!
So $53 + 50% = $79.50 plus tax is $89.84 and oh yeah, we don't have pennies anymore so round that up to $89.85!
Don't even get me started about our government! So you can see why I work so hard to heat my house for free.
so all the canuck pennies i threw in a jar over the years aren't worth a pile of spruce noodles? :surprised3:

Back