Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent score indeed. Man it don't get much better than that. How did you luck out on 40 acres of those beauty's?

A very generous farmer (like 2 or 3 thousand acres) has had it logged and actually thanked me and my pal for helping him clean it up!!
I've some experience, in years past, in the ag/heavy equipment repair and matn. and offered to help the ol' boy in the annual servicing/cleaning of his equipment when harvesting was finished and he said no thanks,,that's my boys job,,he's gonna' get all this stuff one of these days and he's gonna' earn it!! LOL..He just ask that we don't cut ruts in the no-till..
This woodlot is the best score I've ever had and the owner is truly THE most generous and gracious guys I've ever cut wood on..I'm very thankful.

some free oak just popped up on my local CL, its actually in the next neighborhood over from me. Problem is my back yard is too small to store wood I cant burn for 2 years. If its still there after work, I'll grab it and try to find somewhere to stash it for a couple years.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/zip/4807467813.html

00E0E_gm3khBhKB0U_600x450.jpg

@mainewoods check these out. Sort of the same general principle that you use, I think
IMG_20141215_081101_zpsa3798777.jpg

Picture's not that great, couldn't get the phone to focus. Mother in-law gave us that. There's a little candle on the bottom of the cup cake wrappers. Works great. A great, cheap gift idea too lol.

Did you already know him or was it a random stop and ask? Scroungers like all the details!:D

A guy I work with found it, as always, I made it a point to meet the owner. Back in October they were harvesting the fields(soybeans) and I introduced myself, thanked him and ask for any "guidlines" got his phone number and let him know I'm a working man with my own insurances,(health, long term/short disability, auto) and there no liabilities with me being on his property..

I haven't been around in a few weeks my laptop crapped out on me. I finally got back online!!! I told y'all about my neighbor getting a big red oak cut down a few week back. This is the second and smaller of the 2 loads my dad took home. I missed the first load because I was working.

1216141612.jpg

some free oak just popped up on my local CL, its actually in the next neighborhood over from me. Problem is my back yard is too small to store wood I cant burn for 2 years. If its still there after work, I'll grab it and try to find somewhere to stash it for a couple years.

The only way that could be better is if they split it, delivered it and stacked it for you! That's how to scrounge!

It wouldn't be there when you got off work if I lived in your neighborhood. :cool:

Good luck mike, hope it's still there for ya. All stacked nice and neat for you too. I think I would be leaving work a little early myself.:D

I haven't been around in a few weeks my laptop crapped out on me. I finally got back online!!! I told y'all about my neighbor getting a big red oak cut down a few week back. This is the second and smaller of the 2 loads my dad took home. I missed the first load because I was working.

View attachment 387244

Glad to see you're back online SCBBQ. Great score!

Glad to see you're back online SCBBQ. Great score!

Thanks.. Yes it was a good score. The tree guys cut it to length and help load it!! The big rounds went on the first load they were 22-24" and most of tree was straight. Should be pretty easy splittin'. Dad was more than happy to haul it away for them;).

Latest posts

Back