Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far not as bad as anticipated, cleared about 8" this morning, but it is still cold & windy, and still coming down, so we will see. I think they got it much worse a few miles to the East.

The ATV is a beast compared to the old lawn tractor, and that 5' plow works nice.

Mid teens and very windy, but I dressed so well for it, I did not want to come back in!

Check out this awesome score I found on CL!

"Sweet gum tree - was going to use for wood turning but would make good firewood, whole logs would need to be split. Come get it and haul it away and enjoy in your fireplace."

00D0D_e4xMZmA45nk_600x450_zps13budjmo.jpg

Check out this awesome score I found on CL!

"Sweet gum tree - was going to use for wood turning but would make good firewood, whole logs would need to be split. Come get it and haul it away and enjoy in your fireplace."

00D0D_e4xMZmA45nk_600x450_zps13budjmo.jpg

Have fun splitting that, I picked up a big load at a local tree dump. What a pain even with the splitter. Started just burning the whole rounds in my shop wood burner.

Have fun splitting that, I picked up a big load at a local tree dump. What a pain even with the splitter. Started just burning the whole rounds in my shop wood burner.

Oh I'm not getting that stuff. I meant it as a joke. Tried splitting some sweetgum that I accidentally picked up from a roadside scrounge. Big mistake.

Oh I'm not getting that stuff. I meant it as a joke. Tried splitting some sweetgum that I accidentally picked up from a roadside scrounge. Big mistake.

Yep, cut to full length and trying to hand split, yeech. I did some big ones with the big splitter here when it was working, they split fine, just had to hatchet some strings off, but that is/was a mambo heavy duty splitter, too.

Anymore, sweetgum or elm, I am cutting roughly around 5 inch cookies off the main trunk, then letting them sit until well cracked, then busting them up into pie slices splits.

Woops I was a bit late ^. Promise I didn't see his post above. I was interrupted from posting the above reply. I'm trying to see if a solar company will install free solar panels on my house and I pay them a reduced energy monthly charge. Sounds great to me. I'm not too crazy about my electricity company.

BTW, anyone know if @zogger is fully healed from his Jesus on a donkey reenactment?

Not even close, still hobbling. I keep wanting to walk the top part of my leg off the bottom part, it's like the kneecap wants to slide completely off. Just came in awhile ago taking hay out, about couldn't do it. It sucks, but, I'm still moving. Straight ahead on flat ground isn't too bad, kneeling down or turning sideways is sorta iffy. Almost fallen dozens of times.

Right up there in the top five of stupidest things I have ever done.

Latest posts

Back