Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never seen a PI vine up here, in fact I've never even seen a PI vine. Now black flies and skeeters, that more than makes up for it.

I can send you one. There is a dead shag bark that the utilities cut down, most people thought it was alive because of the poison ivy vine and off shouts. I WILL NOT BE SCROUNGING THAT ONE.

Thanks for the offer SD, but you can keep it. I enjoy cuttin' wood with no poisonous snakes, venomous spiders, or toxic plants to deal with. An occasional grumpy bear or rutting moose is just fine with me. Scrounging is hard enough without adding any more to it! It's a wonder you fellers "down south" even bother to burn wood with 2 strikes against ya before you even cut a log.;)

had to make sure my 026 was running right after my guy at the shop tweaked it a little bit. i just couldn't get it quite right for some reason. so i took a little ride over to the woods to try it. got 3 buckets full mostly white oak with a little ash and hickory thrown in for good measure.
2015-04-0112.33.51.jpg 2015-04-0112.33.29.jpg 2015-04-0112.33.41.jpg

I have never seen a PI vine up here, in fact I've never even seen a PI vine. Now black flies and skeeters, that more than makes up for it.

Never seen poison ivy around here either - no poisonous snakes - hardly any bugs even in summer - some spiders but never heard of anyone getting bitten - a few tics in dense forest, but seldom get one. Just bears, cougars and coyotes and we leave each other alone :)

Few pics from my scrounging territory yesterday just below the snow line at about 2800' (since then the snow line dropped about 1000' overnight).

God's country at the appx. 2800' snow line:
snow-line-march31-2015.jpg
Road has been de-commissioned, very narrow and rough with near vertical drop offs that pictures don't do justice. Truck in four wheel low pulling hard all the way.
March-2015-snow-line.jpg

Driving back down:
snow-line-below.jpg

Getting late and wife has no idea I'm up here - so only stopped for one small windfall.
small-scroung-march.jpg

Yikes ... that many people with Lyme eh! I hear it is more prevelent back east but it's also creeping out here evidently. Flue like symptoms? Do you always need to get on meds?
it can be pretty bad. my neighbors daughter got lyme before anyone knew what it was, she's been disabled for about 10 years.my sister also has it but has been able to control it with meds. i was out sawing monday,temps were low 30's and i found a deer tick crawling up my pant leg. it was about this big. . i hate the ba$tard$ .

If you get them picked off early, the risk of infection is supposed to be fairly low. I found one on my ankle last week that had been there for at least 18 hours. It definitely made me a little nervous and I kept a close eye on the spot for a few days afterward. Everything seems to be ok with it, but it made me realize the need to check for the little boogers every time you go back indoors now that the weather is warming up. Guess I got complacent over the winter time.

If you get them picked off early, the risk of infection is supposed to be fairly low. I found one on my ankle last week that had been there for at least 18 hours. It definitely made me a little nervous and I kept a close eye on the spot for a few days afterward. Everything seems to be ok with it, but it made me realize the need to check for the little boogers every time you go back indoors now that the weather is warming up. Guess I got complacent over the winter time.
I think I've only seen three deer ticks ever. Two of them were on my oldest son. One was buried in his hair on the back of his head. Tweezed it out and doused with merthiolate. No bullseye PTL.

Only the tiny deer ticks give you lyme, not the larger dog ticks. They say they have to be in you for 24 hrs to give you lyme (and there are now several other tick borne diseases out there). If you catch it early, medication will control it, but you never get rid of it. Some of the other diseases are even worse than lyme, one is fatal on a regular basis.

If lyme is not detected right away, it can be devastating. Several of the bike riders in our group have missed time due to lyme, and one of them has been out for over two years. The symptoms are not the same for everyone, and many people don't test positive even when they have it, but often the symptoms in people and dogs include arthritic like symptoms.

If your dog starts to limp, bring it down right away, and treat it even if the test is negative. Three of our last four dogs have had it. Often when you walk them (along the street, not in the woods) you will pull 3 or 4 ticks off of them at the end of the walk.

A few times after I have gone bow hunting, I have had to pull the car over and get out of the car to remove several deer tics from my coveralls. I know several people who won't bow hunt because of the ticks.

There is nothing worse that taking a shower and scrubbing every inch of your body only to find one still on you afterwards. They are extremely durable and difficult to kill.

Rumor has it they may have been developed at the Gov research center in Plumb Island on the LI Sound. It is very close to Lyme CT, the epicenter for the disease.

Rumor has it they may have been developed at the Gov research center in Plumb Island on the LI Sound. It is very close to Lyme CT, the epicenter for the disease.

I've read this more than a few times. I'll just leave it at that and avoid the probable derail that talking about it would cause. It's difficult though. :ices_rofl: :laughing:

Better go grab a beer and find something constructive to do.:laugh:

I will not say that it definitely came from there, but the quote below is from Wikipedia. Quite a coincidence that Lyme Disease originates so close to a Gov animal infectious disease research center, wouldn't you say??? A tick infested bird could easily have flown from Plum Island to Lyme CT.

Plum Island is an island in the Town of Southold in Suffolk County, New York in the United States. The Island is situated in Gardiners Bay, east of Orient Point, off the eastern end of the North Fork coast of Long Island. It is about 3 miles (4.8 km) long and 1-mile (1.6 km) wide at its widest point.

The Island is the site of the Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC) which was established by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) in 1954. The Island is also the site of the former U.S. military installation Fort Terry(c. 1897), and the historic Plum Island Light (c. 1827), and its automated replacement.

Plum Island is owned in its entirety by the United States Government, which was considering sale of the Island as part of a debt-reduction package,[1][2] but suspended the plan in February 2012.[3] Access to the island is controlled by theUnited States Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

On August 29, 2013, the United States General Services Administration (GSA) and United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced a final "Record of Decision (ROD): Public Sale of Plum Island, New York".

I will not say that it definitely came from there, but the quote below is from Wikipedia. Quite a coincidence that Lyme Disease originates so close to a Gov animal infectious disease research center, wouldn't you say??? A tick infested bird could easily have flown from Plum Island to Lyme CT.

Plum Island is an island in the Town of Southold in Suffolk County, New York in the United States. The Island is situated in Gardiners Bay, east of Orient Point, off the eastern end of the North Fork coast of Long Island. It is about 3 miles (4.8 km) long and 1-mile (1.6 km) wide at its widest point.

The Island is the site of the Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC) which was established by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) in 1954. The Island is also the site of the former U.S. military installation Fort Terry(c. 1897), and the historic Plum Island Light (c. 1827), and its automated replacement.

Plum Island is owned in its entirety by the United States Government, which was considering sale of the Island as part of a debt-reduction package,[1][2] but suspended the plan in February 2012.[3] Access to the island is controlled by theUnited States Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

On August 29, 2013, the United States General Services Administration (GSA) and United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced a final "Record of Decision (ROD): Public Sale of Plum Island, New York".
they were going to build a second facility in NE somewhere,,till the people got wind of it.......................

urgh ticks I hate the things. I haven't had any attach but I have had more than a few that I caught crawling on me. Creeps me out for days. I usually pick them up during hunting season. Spring turkey and bow/rifle hunting here are the worst. Opening day of rifle last year I had one crawling on my hand and the other one crawled across the screen on my phone while I was browsing the web in the deer woods.

Here's the Elm I dropped yesterday. I'll likely get a better picture of the stump and post it in the critique my face cut thread. I know I over cut the face cut in the horizontal by an inch or two just on the side furthest away...
View attachment 415905

View attachment 415906

Yes, that's poison ivy all over that phuker.

lmao. Damn I just walked, touched, and did some Tarzan action on those vines yesterday. Jeez I need to figure out how to positively identify poison ivy. Good thing I don't seem to be allergic to it.

had to make sure my 026 was running right after my guy at the shop tweaked it a little bit. i just couldn't get it quite right for some reason. so i took a little ride over to the woods to try it. got 3 buckets full mostly white oak with a little ash and hickory thrown in for good measure.
View attachment 416179 View attachment 416180 View attachment 416181

Nice uniform cut lengths.

Latest posts

Back