Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went for a Sunday drive today down a quiet country lane ;)

IMG_20150426_112608.jpg

Busy spot , hard to find a place to park .

IMG_20150426_123852.jpg

Pioneerguy600 decided that there were a few hazard trees that had to go in case some passerbyers might get hurt so we did the only right thing to do .

IMG_20150426_123249.jpg

IMG_20150426_134313.jpg

We cut a load of danger maple and birch with some dead standing spruce plus we've got another load or two in there to haul out yet with a few pine and spruce sawlogs:happybanana:
After we got that load decked roadside we saddled up and cut half a load of dead dry spruce, some dead hardwood and a few green stems of both.
It was a great day , we polly walked a couple of miles of survey likes and the edge of some choppings just to take inventory , we found plenty so it really was a great day :)
Scrounge on gentleman !!

After supper I went and got the load of dead and dry spruce and a bit of Zogger hardwood from round 2 .

IMG_20150426_190824.jpg

IMG_20150426_192826.jpg

The JRed was given to me this morning , hadn't been run in a few years , I cut a few sticks to make sure it runs , now to see what it needs and give it a bit of tlc .

Thanks Clint !
I'm amazed that I haven't broken it yet LOL
So far it seems heavy enough to take what I've done with it but light enough to move it around by hand when empty ,,,,, Time will tell ;)
Burning that dead stuff as we speak , saving the hardwood for next year :)

After supper I went and got the load of dead and dry spruce and a bit of Zogger hardwood from round 2 .

IMG_20150426_190824.jpg

IMG_20150426_192826.jpg

The JRed was given to me this morning , hadn't been run in a few years , I cut a few sticks to make sure it runs , now to see what it needs and give it a bit of tlc .

...damn Dan, you sure stay on the wood hunt. Ten thumbs up my man. Nice!!

I'm a hack , I know nothing LOL
USMC , to tell the truth , the wife would blow a gasket if I wanted to spend monies to join a gym LOL
I've been fortunate to be able to build some of my gear , find cheap one payment tractors , have a friend like Pioneerguy600 and get access to this acreage of forest for another few years .
While one would want beautiful straight oak it's not gonna happen here so I'm happy with the one split wood , the no split wood and mainly red maple , birch , spruce and some fir :)

I'm a hack , I know nothing LOL
USMC , to tell the truth , the wife would blow a gasket if I wanted to spend monies to join a gym LOL
I've been fortunate to be able to build some of my gear , find cheap one payment tractors , have a friend like Pioneerguy600 and get access to this acreage of forest for another few years .
While one would want beautiful straight oak it's not gonna happen here so I'm happy with the one split wood , the no split wood and mainly red maple , birch , spruce and some fir :)

...hardcore in my book!! You gettin plenty of 'Planet Fitness' gym-time I believe, and I don't think anyone will question that...the 'old school' way. No membership dues required...but back and sweat. More power to ya!! Enjoy the nice, clear pics.

I enjoy being out there , cruise the edge of the cuts for blowdowns , scan the horizon for broken or dead tops , the challenge of getting there with the junk I have LOL
I'm glad some of you like the pics , don't worry , I look at all of your guy's , plenty to learn from pics ,,,,Even if they're from the web and potochopped LOL

The fire pit supply is bourgeoning. Found a guy just down the street that has a small wood lot and he gave me what he had and permission to cut at any time. All small stuff but mostly quality. American elm, red oak, black cherry, and I think some type of hickory. Had to take a few pieces of sumac as it came with the lot, is that safe to burn?

image.jpg

The fire pit supply is bourgeoning. Found a guy just down the street that has a small wood lot and he gave me what he had and permission to cut at any time. All small stuff but mostly quality. American elm, red oak, black cherry, and I think some type of hickory. Had to take a few pieces of sumac as it came with the lot, is that safe to burn?

View attachment 421184

...I'd treat it like PI, if you're talking anything like here in the south associated with poison oak or poison sumac. I've seen it pretty fat in diameter, I could be way off base and that stuff might can be burned. Maybe others know for sure.

By the way...congrats on the 'Staff Member' Tag...good deal.

It's actually sumac, the low growing tree with the red "fruit". Totally different than poison sumac. Really light and I know you shouldn't burn the fruit. But wasn't sure about the wood.

And thanks, I think. :)

It's actually sumac, the low growing tree with the red "fruit". Totally different than poison sumac. Really light and I know you shouldn't burn the fruit. But wasn't sure about the wood.

And thanks, I think. :)

I see, yes...totally different than what I said.

not a scrounge but close i traded a 28 can pack of busch light for 12 bundles of slab wood he even delivered it.
View attachment 421197

...Lol. I see who got the sweet end of that deal. A case plus four, yeh, I can do the math on that one. And delivered. :crazy:

got the beer from the bootlegger his price is 1$ per can so i dont think i did badly
i think my buddy and the bootlegger got the better deal. one got beer the other got money and i got wood literary haha.

...if nothing else, you want have to fool with scrounging up kindlin for two more lifetimes. Or small outdoor fire pit get-togethers.

Back