Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like fire(wood and arms)

My edc gun, a glock 26 sits just as much as it gets carried. I live in a small town and work 2 minutes from home. Not much reason to carry unless I go back to Flint, then my back up has a back up.

Not mine, but I have one just like it in 7x30 Waters. Open carry on a hip holster is kind of fun on the property. I don't think I could ever go to town with it on my hip, though - it's just a bit awkward for that.
58705_01_thompson_center_contender_supe_640.jpg
'Ol Contender? Don't see many around much more. Had one chambered in .30/30 many yrs ago. Hoot to shoot, long as ya kept a good grip on it. Lol

I have been looking a pile of wood for a couple of weeks now. I need to get out there and get to work, but the heat has been murder. By the time it cools down a bit, it is time to put the kiddos to bed and I am flat bushed. Hopefully I will get back in the groove of chipping away at it. I did make me a Pickaroon from an old roofing hammer the other day, and it turned out nice. Hopefully it will save my back a little bit of bending over.

Agree with all the input concerning a scatter gun...00 or 000 chambered will just make a mess outta them. 'Ol number 4 shot, turkey/duck load would certainly have me begging for no further shots as well. Lol

...and a Springfield XDM .40 with Hydra-Shocks stays conveniently on the bedside table as well.

Yeah, the 7x30 is a little easier on the hands/wrists than a .30-30, and I have some handloads with spitzer bullets that perform pretty well down range on groundhogs or whitetail deer. I also have a 10" .22 Hornet barrel, which is fun, but I can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn with it.

Always a blast to shoot, and I would rather go through the thick brush with the Contender in a holster than a rifle on my shoulder any day.

i prefer 00 buck for most situations. 15 pellets works good on running groundhogs out to 50-60 yards. don't know how it would work on intruders at the end of the hallway......... yet. i'm sure i would have to patch the drywall.:crazy2:ok now back to your regularly scheduled firewood scrounging program.:chop:

Check out this site. A ton of practical experiments on different calibers and situations. Very interesting.
http://www.theboxotruth.com/tag/original-chapters/

I know there's a ton of variables involved is there a general length of time oak/maple rounds can sit on the ground before they become punky?

Several months ambull. Until I had my own splitter I left some rounds sit the better part of 6 months before splitting and they were ok. I would split and stack sooner than later.

My personal wood(muahaha) is stacked off the ground. The stuff I'm going to split this weekend is on my gravel driveway and has only been there about a month. There's a house down the street from me that had a tree fall over on his house last summer. A tree service cut it up and its been lying in his yard about a year now. There's weeds all over. I've been meaning to ask the guy if I can have it but been busy with life and my 6 month long scrounge spot.

Always a blast to shoot, and I would rather go through the thick brush with the Contender in a holster than a rifle on my shoulder any day.

What is your rifle doing on your shoulder? I never sling my rifle unless I am dragging out a critter. Takes to much time to get in the ready position when you have the gun on your shoulder.

Quick lunch scrounge today. Wish I would have had more time to work the pile but I just grabbed what I could move myself and loaded up the trailer/truck. All 5-8' long. He has some huge stuff. The he said he had a lot of interest from his CL ad. I told him to let me know if the big wood he has doesn't go, that I would come back with the right tools and break it down and get it out of his way. I don't want to be greedy and make multiple trips in one day.
6a53ce7553882f088908b0f447d58f88.jpg

4a41b8d5684f6855d3d810a36e7dff23.jpg

What is your rifle doing on your shoulder? I never sling my rifle unless I am dragging out a critter. Takes to much time to get in the ready position when you have the gun on your shoulder.

It's kind of hard to hold the rifle when you're crawling on your hands and knees through huckleberries :D.

I carry my rifle either crooked in my left elbow, supported by my right hand, or port arms, when walking, except in the thick stuff.

It's kind of hard to hold the rifle when you're crawling on your hands and knees through huckleberries :D.

I carry my rifle either crooked in my left elbow, supported by my right hand, or port arms, when walking, except in the thick stuff.

Fair enough. Some of the thick stuff is so thick you cant walk through it and I get that . Just checking you werent one of those guys that slings the gun and marches all day. I didnt realize you were in Tioga county, some beautiful country up there.

Fair enough. Some of the thick stuff is so thick you cant walk through it and I get that . Just checking you werent one of those guys that slings the gun and marches all day. I didnt realize you were in Tioga county, some beautiful country up there.

Thanks! Yeah, I consider myself one of the lucky ones - I get to work 10 miles from home, in some of the most scenic part of the state.

I went for a beach walk today with the wife , windy but sunny and in the 80's up here .

W1O3aVrlkkLXJaQRsYT2BtfC5W0-zXJpyCQyBQVxdWo=w1223-h917-no

Plenty of driftwood , I'd be scrounging but it's not allowed .
Oh , if any of you guys make it up here during the holiday season , I found a good place to visit .

HAlQe4RLLMk5Ip71ephbfXNfAV1xpVlgpQL_sLJ761o=w1223-h917-no

Latest posts

Back