Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well , with you guys out there cutting in the temps you got my hat's to you .
But , I can't let you guys show me up LOL
Here's some wood gathering tools , we pitched these against the lean tonight .

aaShYLT8z-4zpXIhCuayqhQplJnWtQeuvxfdFzr0WtA=w1223-h917-no

Daum spruce trees , lotsa work .

z7RY3HuvMTE_mSx6Gp6O5xz3NaZmnTGiAKf7G-2THvg=w1223-h917-no
I'm hoping you have a hydro for those knotty pieces?

Yup , if I have to split the knotty stuff it will be with the hydro , I can do it with the SS but the 3hp Briggs has to hit it multiple times , the hydro is the better choice for me .
8" I split once but 7" and down I leave round .
Pioneerguy600 and I dropped a fair amount of wood tonight to make clearance for a new powerline in a new subdivision , we've got 3 more short sections to clear and another log run so plenty of wood to come out , nothing big or spectacular but plenty and free wood for us with a bonus of the excavator will pick out and stack the wood for us :)

Well I now have a two saw plan. The cs400 cleaned up nice. I put a new chain on it and a side from some tuning it will be a good saw. I need to learn how to tune a carb now. On the the positive side, it sounds like it is running rich. I checked the piston and it looks great Just need to figure out what is rattling around in the muffler and to find out if it is normal.

As it was when I picked it up.
I got the saw and 3/4 or better gallon jug of bar oil for $75.
070a017267ed79b05fa864f5c0f040e6.jpg

5af38ce1bb4f685e77bb6840fe8efe5f.jpg

147f65cd4b78ec881aa18b9dcca2d71f.jpg
1378a28667bb4076545e521b2f01aee4.jpg
f83e094e949f1150cb5281c41dab8253.jpg

All cleaned up.
b4fdc7470e94f8555133b0716ea31f62.jpg
48f089054345add5605389d9bae1d8b1.jpg

The rattle in the muffler is the cat. Once I learn to tune the saw I may just have to do a muffler mod. I am way less hesitant to pull this saw part and try different things because I have so little tied into it compared to my stihl.

Today I will make a trip the Home Depot to pickup another 18" chain and a 16" bar and 2 16" chains. Hard to believe Home Depot has the best prices. I like having other bar/chain options for the saw. I use the smallest bar I can to get the job done. The saw itself is really light. I may change the sprocket eventually but I need to figure out how to get it off first.

Today I will make a trip the Home Depot to pickup another 18" chain and a 16" bar and 2 16" chains. Hard to believe Home Depot has the best prices.

The OEM ECHO 16" bar uses 57 drive links of 3/8 low profile chain - an uncommon number, but available from ECHO dealers.

If you buy an Oregon replacement bar, it takes 56 drive links: one of the most common chains available - 'S56' sold in most hardware and home centers.

I like my CS400 with the 16" bar.

Philbert

after watching all of the tuning videos and then running the saw a bit more with fresh gas. Everything seems to check out. No tuning needed. It starts ok, idles good and bogging and hesitation stopped after running the good gas in it for 5 or 6 cuts. I think I have a winner here. I really like this little saw it is amazingly light compared to my 50cc stihl.

NA:
Sure is a pretty little saw, cleaned up nicely. You gonna like that saw.
As I grow older, the baby saws become my fav.
My 33cc Tanaka (10# w/b&c) feels soo much nicer that the 20+# Dolmar w/32" bar.
M Mike:
I see your getting smarter, bring the splitter to the wood, not the wood to the splitter.
BTW, I really like the looks of your splitter. If mine dies tomorrow, I'm gonna get me one like that.
I can't live without a splitter, no maul and sledge for me. If I can't split it with a hydro and hand axe, out comes the saw.
HAVE A HAPPY 4th. Remember, Freedom isn't free, Somebody paid dearly.

wudpirat - I got a call from the guy I went and did the lunch time scrounge at the other day. Looks like he has a bunch of wood left. Guess all the interest didn't bring to tools or want to work for the wood. There is some big stuff that is just a cut an a noodle away from being manageable. I am going tonight to see how much more of the wood I can fit in this trip. If there is any left I may need to make a trip over on sunday.

That little saw cleaned up really nice and it is amazing what compressed air can do when it comes to cleaning all the nooks and crannies out.

As for the 4th I got my best bud who is an army iraq war vet coming over for dinner. I plan to feed him beers and anything else he likes all day. My way of saying thank you.

Was out again tonight , since we're on a closed road we fired up the wood getters to reach the next bunch of trees to clear for the power lines .

EGGYjVJgMh8GVEbnHxi2D_SFF8UfJrzb0rybCTyXg8M=w1341-h917-no

More useful than atv's LOL
All this talk about smaller saws , about 95% of all the wood I've cut over the last 2 years has been with my three 50$ to 75$ 026's that Pioneerguy600 has put together .
Most of what I've been getting has been Zogger wood , 12" and down with the odd 16" to 24" so smaller saws rule :)

LSwYO0ibE_osJ8VZOWmhhiPNu0nuCH0lZ0SM3AIIwaA=w1223-h917-no

Stay warm my friends LOL
Happy 4th to you all !!!!

Did a little more splitting this morning. Put it in vertical mode and busted up a bunch of those large Black Birch rounds. No pics today, but I'll get some more when I split some more. I'm still impressed that nothing seems to stop that splitter, it may slow down & work, but any wood you can put in it it will go through.

Got another full load today trailer and truck full. The cs400 did a wonderful job on the smaller 10-14" logs. The ms271 did a nice job on the bigger stuff that took 2 cuts and some noodling with the 20" bar. There is definitely a power difference between the 40 and 50 cc saws. Wished I had a 24" bar today, would have made the work a little easier.

The homeowner even helped me load. He had a saw that he said didn't cut. I checked the chain and it was duller than a rusty butter knife. I showed him what sharp was with one of my spares.

Picked up a spare 18" chain for the baby saw. Just need to order the 16" bar and chain for it.

399aa1bb880245d4e7b74f1ff75f1152.jpg

Latest posts

Back