Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow zog I would love to score a scrounge like that. Heck of a tree

Handy it is in the yard close to the air compressor, tailgate and tools, and refrigerator and shade in the cabin..hehehe the old lady cat loves it, I know she'll be disappointed when it's all cut up. She hasn't had the catness to vertical climb trees much the last few years, but she immediately went way up and sat on a branch once all the noise stopped.

All right! worked to dull chains and absolutely staggering tired. I mean slap dripping dizzy. ha! Dang around...200 degrees with the heat humility index, felt like it anyway. About out of mix, too. Used the 346xp and 371xp today, got the road cleared, just cut and cut and cut and chunk the rounds to either side. Once I get to the main trunk I'll use the poulan 505 and my 3 foot bar, got three loops for that one..lotta cutters, 115.... Just went and bush hogged a space to dump rounds, near where they will go in to the all oak stacks area.Here are some pics, showing tree with a guy doing the face cut then you can see the wire rope going way back to the big truck and big winch. They were fast, got to give them credit. Zero PPE, but they got it down fast, that winch helped. One of garden goddess before I started cutting big branches, you can see the scale, this thing is huge...when the same guys first trimmed the branches, I got five cord..that big. Then an after action shot with the road cleared and yours truly about to keel over at the end,,hahahah!
Love the picture of you standing up in the tree!

Nice score ZOG, should keep you and your crew warm for a couple Polar Vortexes.
Man you look beat in that pic. That heat and humidity will pull all the tar out of your rope.
Take her easy, lots of water and just keep pecking away, that tree ain't going anywhere.

Ya, mostly I had to hump hard yesterday to get the road cleared. I just moved rounds today with the FEL. Too hot out in the sun to do much. Have to work on my mower now, it just stopped...won't restart. &*^*^*&**^&^ I got a carb rebuild kit already in anticipation, used cheap mowers, knowing they got ethanol borken...junk. I'd get just a new carb but they are 200 bucks! Looked on google a lot, plenty of cheap carbs out there, just not that one, large single piece flojet chokeamatic.

After 4 hours of running a pole saw yesterday, I'm now aware of a whole group of muscles I never knew I had!
I spent about 3 days heavily using my Oregon 40V pole saw, clearing storm damage up near Brainered, MN, last week. And another 3 days using a Jameson manual pole saw (working with someone else's equipment).

I can say that a pole saw is incredibly helpful for this type of work, and I much prefer the powered type. That said, the sectional fiberglass poles offer more height and a lot of flexibility. Also better for use as a hook to pull down 'widow makers', etc. Cut through some surprisingly large limbs with both to free up hanging trees. A sharp chain and a sharp blade really make a difference!

Philbert

47e6d49c3b0cb10560052c631492dbd7.jpg

1f2e31ca775538c8459721ab1c263736.jpg

2fde2e1df850672c049c7ce95fca3431.jpg

Small scrounge. My girlfriend has a flowering crabapple that was dying so my dad and I took it down today. Not much wood but Good burning stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any guess as to what kinda wood that is? Its hard... did a cutting comparison in the Echo 620 thread with the Hybrid 555.

Yesterday went up to the cabin with my friend Harold. We put two new windows in the cabin. Everything looked pretty good, except the porky pines were trying to eat my doorway! Luckily, they did not do much damage.

Had a little rain going up, then mostly clear after we were up there, but on the way home massive T storms, was a real light show, and I thought Rte 17 near Liberty was going to get washed out. Traffic was going 15 MPH, but we made it.

A storm had knocked down a Hard Maple that I cut into sections and dragged down to the cabin with the ATV.

I picked up a little remington 1635 last month for backyard firewood duty. It sure as heck doesnt cut as fast as my 036, but it starts every time lol which has become more important to me. Compared to my other 16" saws, its not *that* slow, and is a couple pounds lighter. Really my only complaint is that the bar oil tank is too small. On gas saws they try to make a tank of oil last about the same as a tank of gas, but on an electric saw they should really make the oil tank bigger, since there is no stopping to refuel.

Just wondering does the cluch cover ever get plugged up with noodles? My MS271 does regularly if I dont stop frequently to pull the noodles out. The little cs 400 didnt do that when I noodled with it.

Back