Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled off a "scrounge" of sorts with my neighbor. He hunts black bear on the upper part of my woodlot, and offered up the use of his 25 ton splitter in appreciation. I told him it wasn't necessary, but he insisted. Not wanting to "hurt" his feelings, I reluctantly accepted. ;) Some of this pile IS a scrounge from my 90 year old neighbor on the other side of my woodlot. She had some maple down and asked me if I wanted them, which I happily accepted. My axe handle was broken and the splitter was available, so I figured what the heck, just this once! Famous last words.:D
031.JPG

Pulled off a "scrounge" of sorts with my neighbor. He hunts black bear on the upper part of my woodlot, and offered up the use of his 25 ton splitter in appreciation. I told him it wasn't necessary, but he insisted. Not wanting to "hurt" his feelings, I reluctantly accepted. ;) Some of this pile IS a scrounge from my 90 year old neighbor on the other side of my woodlot. She had some maple down and asked me if I wanted them, which I happily accepted. My axe handle was broken and the splitter was available, so I figured what the heck, just this once! Famous last words.:D
View attachment 438537
Wow...the motherlode. Nice!!

View attachment 438537
That's a lot of wood!

I don't usually show my firewood because it isn't a true scrounge,but this pile does contain scrounged wood from a neighbor. And a scrounged splitter. It's been keeping me busy lately, especially with the memory of the last 2 winters fresh in my mind, and a very strong El Nino forecast for this winter.
deep snow.jpg

I use the Sawzall with a special pruning blade to get into tight spaces when trimming hedges, etc.
View attachment 430699

Well, I saw this one today on-line, so I am sharing it as a follow-up to my post above. Not sure if it is 'better' - a reciprocating saw typically has a stroke of 1 to 1-1/2 inches, and it would not really take advantage of the full 7 inch length this blade. And too expensive to use as a 'disposable' blade for cutting roots, etc., like the one posted earlier. Kind of interesting idea though.

Screen shot 2015-07-30 at 2.16.53 PM.png

Philbert

I have to say that Zogger and Clint have put up two of the nicest pics in a while !!!
Awesome pics guys !
All I've got is a Charlie Brown Scrounge reminder pics of the what and why .

YSRR_MLI8oYa6aen1rSrjcHWa_J7YBhjq0VMoIU7cO0=w1223-h917-no

_qB0Qiymzg5Tt_RSRXVVj5em7NonWKy8McRz35moL8I=w1223-h917-no

I don't believe I have ever seen a walnut tree Mike, so I thought you were referring to the big tree in the background. You have a good eye! Those are sumac on the right side of the pile. They turn fiery red in the fall and are quite spectacular.

Philbert, I bought a pack of those pruning blades ( cheaper version) and they work excellent. The teeth on them are designed to cut both ways, on the up stroke and the down stroke. I have used them on some pretty good sized splits that were too long for the stove. Worth every penny!

Clint, this is what Black Walnut looks like. For some reason, there are lots of them near my house.

If you look closely in the first pic, there is a nut in the middle of the pic right between the two trees.

The leaves are very similar to Sumac, but the trees get bigger and the bark is different.

Attachments

• BlackWalnut7-31-15 001.jpg
    BlackWalnut7-31-15 001.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 36
  • BlackWalnut7-31-15 002.jpg
    BlackWalnut7-31-15 002.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 35
A buddy at work asked me to check out his new 271 today, he was afraid it was having some issues with the chain, sure enough the sprocket on the bar is locking up. Hopefully the dealer doesn't give him any trouble on his warranty, I suspect he hasn't put more than a couple tanks through it yet. Sweet little saw though, nice compact saw with good power, although it was a bit of a stretch to noodle oak with it. I worked on my church scrounge a little more, cleaning and piling the brush for the boy scouts to burn this fall. The cedar is bucked up and ready to load, the chestnut is not far behind. :happybanana:

IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

A buddy at work asked me to check out his new 271 today, he was afraid it was having some issues with the chain, sure enough the sprocket on the bar is locking up. Hopefully the dealer doesn't give him any trouble on his warranty, I suspect he hasn't put more than a couple tanks through it yet. Sweet little saw though, nice compact saw with good power, although it was a bit of a stretch to noodle oak with it. I worked on my church scrounge a little more, cleaning and piling the brush for the boy scouts to burn this fall. The cedar is bucked up and ready to load, the chestnut is not far behind. :happybanana:

IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg
Nice Bull...good on you.

I had a different type of scrounge tonight. A new tool store opened by me with factory reconditioned and factory blemished tools. Picked up a rigid roofing nailer, a ryobi router table and a random orbital sander for $165 out the door. I like tools. Almost picked up a ryobi backpack blower at $120 but I think I will go with vminnovations and get a husky.

OK, I'll follow Dan's lead and post a pic of what's coming. Hey, it's August 1st; only 2 months or less and we'll be burning. Maybe a little longer down Zogger's way, but for most of us our next fire is closer than the last one was.

This is my woodshed from the back deck. Just a short walk.

POqicUz.jpg

Back