Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, a few slow pulls choke on, one good yank choke off, vroom! I think I'll be able to finish this tree now, although I need two more loops of non LGX, that stuff goes dull fast in this dead wood. Expensive tree for me...the powah in this 394 is..a lot. This is a 28 on it now, I have a three footer, bet it would pull chain on a four footer. Had to try it, a few cuts before dark. And just a few cuts proly got me half a ton on the ground....

Attachments

• IMG_20150829_195706.jpg
    IMG_20150829_195706.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20150829_195655.jpg
    IMG_20150829_195655.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 47
Looks like a pile of fun zog.

It has been so far except for the heat. I just stopped cutting there after a few sessions, I'd get whipped within one tank. Now that it is cooling off a little I can get back to it. The rest of the cuts are all..gotta stay frosty, this sort of weight is nothing to sneeze at. I just ran the calculator, single rounds off the main trunk, 16 inch, will be coming in at around 1500-1600 lbs. I'm deducting a little for it being standing dead. Where it is wider from branch stems, easily a ton or better.

[QUOTE="Wood Nazi, post: 5500098, member: 13662210044 View attachment 442071 Not firewood related at all. But at $100, it's almost a scrounge and my son paid for it with money he made selling firewood. I feel cooler already.[/QUOTE]
LOL i just picked up a 1999 polaris xcr440 for 100 bucks. I was driving with it on the truck and when i got to work the senior mechanic at the shop said get that f'n snow machine out of here. Lol. He hates winter haha

Another large day up here so I decided I'd go tractor atving and scout out a few more trails .

1lMQXEkaI2V3d5rSpH4IFXCSzm-uPKK54GxBwuDQ2xM=w1239-h917-no

WZSi0HhaL7SxzyfG6ixEkT_tO0FuhMgFOENDKiwtWIg=w1239-h917-no

Spotted many dead hardwood tops in the horizon :)
All was going well until ....

aMns8zf_4ysNsrPcSKp0C7HqAecR2jIMkwexqaGLmIc=w1239-h917-no

I'll save that trail for the atv LOL

9MwC-1daumufnNP_GMm3APGLuM5UL6O3q9QkU2P6UNo=w1239-h917-no

W4iKnzPTSSBYi5RNBSmyIieCvHJhmaXtfekbB3KQt14=w1239-h917-no

eMW-HdGHXTpaETJ3FsyzzBC_TcQcUofUWcxBL9SFYe8=w1239-h917-no

Seen plenty of wood on today's run , some of it like those large hard maples will be a challenge to get out because of terrain but I'm up for the challenge :)
I didn't go home empty handed , brought a small load home to add to next year's wood .

IwYdchBld8QLyNnTGLJeb2rHceBIkDR8BwY5k8EmPcY=w1239-h917-no

Dan,

What was that picture with the hole in front of you????? Were you on the roof of some sort of building/dwelling?

More progress.
View attachment 444010

Cherry and box elder.
View attachment 444011

Maple, cherry, and oak.
View attachment 444012

The everything pile with the excess box elder.
View attachment 444013

Looks good!!! I think you'll have more fun with the longer bar and letting the saw come into it's own.

Well, a few slow pulls choke on, one good yank choke off, vroom! I think I'll be able to finish this tree now, although I need two more loops of non LGX, that stuff goes dull fast in this dead wood. Expensive tree for me...the powah in this 394 is..a lot. This is a 28 on it now, I have a three footer, bet it would pull chain on a four footer. Had to try it, a few cuts before dark. And just a few cuts proly got me half a ton on the ground....

I noticed that also the other day dealing with that petrified elm. Semi chisel performed waaaaay better than full chisel.

The teeth on the full chisel when I was done reminded me of when I have cut some frozen wood with it.

The 36" Total bar I got for my 394 just hangs on the wall now. It seriously screwed up the balance for me on that saw. So, I am on the hunt for a new 32" .063 3/8". For me, that is it's sweet spot.

Great pics and what a nice house..your deck is worth more than the cabin I live in, hahahah! Nice crop of wood slaves you are raising up as well!

I understand about the deck Zog.LOL

To channel Walter Sobchak - "Also, Zog, slaves are not the preferred nomenclature. Minions, please.":D

I delivered 2 more cords out of the big pile yesterday, after a total of 6 cords, the big pile is not so big any more!

I pulled a muscle in my left leg last week while pushing a wheelbarrow up hill. Felt like someone whacked me in the the back of the calf with a baseball bat. The calf and ankle are still a bit swollen, and black & blue below the ankle bone, so I put off taking down the two Ash trees on a steep slope for a bit.

Steve, great to see the little ones involved, but bare feet and axes never mix well, I'm cringing!!!

So, how does that new saw feel??? How does the big non ported saws compare to the smaller ported ones? I would guess more torque but less speed, but I'm just guessing.

I delivered 2 more cords out of the big pile yesterday, after a total of 6 cords, the big pile is not so big any more!

I pulled a muscle in my left leg last week while pushing a wheelbarrow up hill. Felt like someone whacked me in the the back of the calf with a baseball bat. The calf and ankle are still a bit swollen, and black & blue below the ankle bone, so I put off taking down the two Ash trees on a steep slope for a bit.

Steve, great to see the little ones involved, but bare feet and axes never mix well, I'm cringing!!!

So, how does that new saw feel??? How does the big non ported saws compare to the smaller ported ones? I would guess more torque but less speed, but I'm just guessing.
Well it cuts pretty darn good. Obviously comparing semi chisel to square isn't a perfect comparison. But I'm quite happy.

Hey, if it even cuts good with semi on it, you are set! I'm sure sooner or later you will run it with some RS on it, or maybe even square!!!

Good Luck with that beast!
I figured I'd grab a loop of Stihl chisel for now and get some square eventually.

The power company is FINALLY supposed to be cutting my right of way trees in the next two weeks. Took them almost a year. That will give me another 8 cords or so to buck up.

I figured I'd grab a loop of Stihl chisel for now and get some square eventually.

The power company is FINALLY supposed to be cutting my right of way trees in the next two weeks. Took them almost a year. That will give me another 8 cords or so to buck up.
Nice...good deal. That's a lotta wood ya got coming.

Did I show you guys this week's Zogger wood ??

Sgr1KNDvBWx0iLfVQ3zXbk8ha9LGBlR4MuJyFkmo-eI=w1239-h917-no

I ended up with a bunch of this eastern white cedar for kindling up to about 6" cedar from a clump of cedar that Pioneerguy600 and I thinned out .

is that there a Crappy Tire anvil lopper ? I recognize the handles. looks like my plain jane lopper, or is that Lee Valley ;)

Latest posts

Back