Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good evening scroungers. watched this on c/l for about a week or so. the ad didn't disappear. so i called. picked it up this morning.
2015-08-3016.34.43.jpg 2015-08-3016.34.56.jpg 2015-08-3016.35.14.jpg 2015-08-3016.35.32.jpg guy couldn't get it running so i thought negotiation time. he had to work so i met his wife and she said he couldn't get it running. i got it fired on the second pull. she then told me it was her late husbands saw:(. i gave her the asking price. i also got a case,a 20" 3/8 bar and chain and a few other chains. p/c look like new. why does a guy need 8 chainsaws?:crazy2:

Well even an occasional firewood cutter needs two. More than once I've pinched my main saw in a cut and needed to rescue it with the little 36.

If it's a pinch while you're bucking, a felling/bucking wedge is your friend. ;)

I never go scrounging without one in my back pocket. It saves a lot of frustration and gives you a chuckle once the cut is done, drops down on the chain and goes flying out.

It is when the tree wants to twist that it is hard not to pinch, even if you have wedges!

This illustration shows a metal wedge (or axe) being used to keep a trunk from twisting when bucking. 'Hanging wedge'. I thought it was pretty interesting. Never tried it, but appears to have been around a while. Probably used more with a crosscut saw?

Philbert

Screen shot 2015-08-30 at 10.38.13 PM.png

Hard to imagine doing it by hand! We are spoiled!
not sure if i ever shared this or not. CRS.
the first year our local fair had a crosscut saw contest i talked my dad into entering with me. i had never done it but dad grew up using one. he gave me the main tips and off we went. we were the second team up and breezed through the log. we were in 1st place till the last 2 teams. these guys were older than dirt.we got spanked but still ended up in 3rd. can't imagine sawing a winters worth of wood with a crosscut.

That's a good deal. The best I was seeing was around 70 shipped for a new one.
I ordered the 28" bar for the 365 and two loops of 72LPX just in case I need it. I couldn't pass up the LCS free shipping deal when I picked up another look of 72LGX for the 20" bar. Now I just need to find some wood big enough to tune the saw with the 20" or 24" bar. I think it is running a little rich but it is hard to tell if it isn't the rev limiter since I don't have any hardwood to bury the bar in.

This illustration shows a metal wedge (or axe) being used to keep a trunk from twisting when bucking. 'Hanging wedge'. I thought it was pretty interesting. Never tried it, but appears to have been around a while. Probably used more with a crosscut saw?

Philbert

View attachment 444204
So, then, what I have is not a splitting wedge, but a falling wedge?
Felling Wedge.JPG

So, then, what I have is not a splitting wedge, but a falling wedge?
View attachment 444261

i got like 5 of those wedges. i use the for splitting. i wouldnt use metal wedge for falling. ive cut some of my plastic wedges with the saw on some tight trees when felling.

Latest posts

Back