Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:cry::cry:
don't feel to bad now. went to the scrounge site to saw a truckload last week. took 2 saws.went to fill them up when i got there. Hmmmmm? 2 jugs of bar oil and no gas can. luckily 1 saw had 1/2 a tank and the other was full. don't have any kids to blame it on though.:dumb:

voice mode = "Homer"

DOH!!!!

The rain that was supposed to stop in the AM still hasn't. I said screw it Ill work in the rain to get this scrounge done. After all, the truck is still loaded with the gear and ready to go. I get there and get all set up just have to top of the saw. SOB, WTF, where is the gas can? Long story short, my daughter ran out of gas last night/this morning and my son told her I had gas in the truck. To gallons of mix wasted. She had to walk by the 5 gal can of straight gas to get in my truck. Sometimes I really don't like having kids.
Magic marker labeling on the two stroke can, colored tape on the handle, plus maybe a warning label.

I really wish the industry had come up with a gas can color standardized for two stroke mix. Even a variant on standard red for gas, perhaps a big diagonal black stripe or something.

Magic marker labeling on the two stroke can, colored tape on the handle, plus maybe a warning label.

I really wish the industry had come up with a gas can color standardized for two stroke mix. Even a variant on standard red for gas, perhaps a big diagonal black stripe or something.

Or, don't touch it if its not yours, or don't touch it if you don't know whats in it.

Went on my pre rifle season scouting walk today. Wow is Monday going to be a circus. The game lands looked like a surveying crew went through, pink ribbons everywhere. I guess some people can't find their spot in the dark. Also found a blind on a hill facing into a valley that 60-70 yards away there is a ladder stand facing up the hill. So Monday morning they will be looking at one another at sun up. The blind setup makes no sense since they can't shoot to the valley, too much brush so any shooting would involve the deer running through the blind. Anyway it will be interesting as usual.

Went on my pre rifle season scouting walk today. Wow is Monday going to be a circus. The game lands looked like a surveying crew went through, pink ribbons everywhere. I guess some people can't find their spot in the dark. Also found a blind on a hill facing into a valley that 60-70 yards away there is a ladder stand facing up the hill. So Monday morning they will be looking at one another at sun up. The blind setup makes no sense since they can't shoot to the valley, too much brush so any shooting would involve the deer running through the blind. Anyway it will be interesting as usual.
if ya wanna have fun (and maybe hear some cursing in the dark) just move them ribbons about 10-15 yards.:rolleyes: i'll tell ya a story next week NA.

if ya wanna have fun (and maybe hear some cursing in the dark) just move them ribbons about 10-15 yards.:rolleyes: i'll tell ya a story next week NA.
A friend of mine growing up used to move ribbons and bright eyes so they went in a circle. Other people just take them down because technically it is considered 'litter'. With the $99 or less handheld GPS devices there is no reason to be putting ribbons out to get to your spot.

I won't be there for the in the dark festivities since I have daycare duty and won't get there until 715-730. I really don't have a spot but more of an area I would like to be in. There will be too many people to have a "spot". I am just going to wing it like last year. Find a spot away from everyone in the area I want to be in.

Hey @zogger what are the mushrooms for? I just restacked a stack of rounds that fell over last year, every piece of white oak had mushrooms on it. I mean loaded with them, and white oak was the only wood with them.

I think they are shitake mushrooms, good to eat and good for you, medicinal.

A friend of mine growing up used to move ribbons and bright eyes so they went in a circle. Other people just take them down because technically it is considered 'litter'. With the $99 or less handheld GPS devices there is no reason to be putting ribbons out to get to your spot.

I won't be there for the in the dark festivities since I have daycare duty and won't get there until 715-730. I really don't have a spot but more of an area I would like to be in. There will be too many people to have a "spot". I am just going to wing it like last year. Find a spot away from everyone in the area I want to be in.
are you hunting game lands near you? if you are check out the tall grass fields if there are some. have found the deer will move out of the woods and into the tall grass and bed down when the pressure is on.

are you hunting game lands near you? if you are check out the tall grass fields if there are some. have found the deer will move out of the woods and into the tall grass and bed down when the pressure is on.
Yep, I am hunting the game lands in Mt gretna. It's really pretty thick woods. There isn't any tall grass to talk about but lots of understory for the deer to sneak through.

All right! Scrounged up a small load of all white oak, 4 foot logs. First try on my pickup bed trailer since I bought it. Small load because this is custom cut, what the guy wanted for growing mushrooms. I'm giving it away in exchange for a couple back next spring with the mushrooms growing from it. Had to go uphill to cut, put it in 4 wheel low to come back down, because I never used the trailer and wanted to make sure I had full braking, worked fine, had to give it some throttle just to go downhill, hahaha! A few bonus pics as well, beavers had one of the four trees I cut almost down, I left all the tops and branches for them. And hey, Canuckistanians, we done stole all your geeses, hahahaha! 346 did the duty today, man, I loves that saw!

Nice pics! Do you live there? Looks like paradise. Your truck bed trailer looks relatively new.

I just grew some mushrooms just to experiment. Pretty easy process.

It's always crazy on the first day here in Pennsylvania. I'll be going after some ducks in Erie instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice pics! Do you live there? Looks like paradise. Your truck bed trailer looks relatively new.

I just grew some mushrooms just to experiment. Pretty easy process.

Yes, this is on the farm where I live, but I don't live on that pond, my boss does. We live down toward the main street, this is a quarter mile up the private drive. He has a lot of land here and several ponds, one on another piece of property down the street I have only seen a few times but it is huge, he leases that to a church for a buck a year.... That pond in the pics I posted some nice snow pics of before. That trailer I got last spring, had a cap on it but that is on the truck now. I painted the inside of the bed and added that sheet of plywood after waterproofing both sides. I couldn't find a bed liner and..well..didn't do any rhino lining, just the paint and sheet of wood. Yes it is in real good shape. I absolutely don't know an easy way to do it, above my fabrication skills, but have contemplated how cool it would be if when towing offroad there was a way to get power to the still apparently functional truck rear end.

More free logs delivered on Thanksgiving - guess it really was a day for giving thanks! Got about half of the new stuff cut and split (did I mention that I love ash?) Still have some of the last load in the background too. The larger diameter ash and hickory take more effort for sure.
IMG_20151129_161456.jpg

Back