Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No unfortunately not. But I may know where some is if your interested.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
For sure interested. I need enough for the front overhang on my wood/tractor shed(24'x44", and about 24+ that is 8-12" wide for cap).
I need the small corrugated stuff. I also have some sheets of regular steel roofing if you need them:cheers:.
Here's the theme of my backyard village below. Woodshed, with space for about three years total of wood on each 6'x14'6" bay and a 12' bay for my tractor. Kids fort/playhouse with storage underneath, future deer blind built accordingly with it being moveable and it has huge window on the back that opens for shooting:). Then the shed with a nice big door for storing lawn equipment and kids powered toys. The wood for the sides of the wood shed are in one of the wood bays. The wood on the ground in front of the wood shed is locust that will go right in the wood shed for my personal stash:yes:.
1461793339681.jpg 1461793526362.jpg 1461793590101.jpg
Since I was in the woods for the picture above:rolleyes:, this is some more of the wood I will be scrounging from my place, but for now it's still standing and I have wood coming from other places so it will wait. It's broken, bent, uprooted cherry and a dead leaning black locust from the last big wet snowstorm.
If you look to the upper right hand corner where the locust and cherry cross you can see n old tree stand in two ginormous cherry trees. They are still fairly heathy, but one day I will be scrounging them.
1461793634823.jpg

Attention Hoarders:

What are we supposed to do all summer?
Bad scrounger, no you didn't say that :dumb: .

Ever had ticks all over your sack and legs?
Sorry AO, there are no excuses in this thread.
City slicker, urbanite, country bumpkin, live on an Island(sort of, Nova Scotia), firewood producer in Alaska, no excuses.
Their are risks involved in each one, from death by equipment, to death by snakes(ask the micro scrounger), to death by a spouse, this is a no excuse sort of thread PERIOD.
Feeling a little tired after all that, and a bit overwhelmed with the dangers involved in scrounging, I think I will be taking some time off from scrounging for a while if anyone needs me I'll be in the good morning thread:laughing:.

Ever had ticks all over your sack and legs?

No I haven't actually. I'll wear shorts in the heat just working in the garden or riding on a mower or tractor, but working in the brush, no matter the heat, long pants or long cutting pants, etc. Helps with ticks, skeeters, pickers, poison ivy, etc.

They are already out here, twice a day I de-tick the dogs.

I try to recycle the ticks, usually detick the dogs down by the creek and throw them into the pools so the minnows get them.

This thread is beautiful diverse it is split in 2. It's got your full on lumber merchants farmer Steve and dancan ( yep, your full on now) and it's got'roots' guy scroungers. Zogger, myidol..ZOGGER! no wood too small. Even backyard lumber is a choosy wood toff by comparison! Maine wood, ... OurOP.. True ZOGGER scrounging. Me.....I feel I'm scrounge. I'm desperate, give me wood! Any wood! I work for sticks!

Still love dancans pics, and Steve vk, mike and All, great guys, great stories, great, info, great photos, .... But scrounging? Zog, is gold toa true Scrounger.... You guys aren't wood snobs but you aren't filling your trunk with zog..... I want more zogstories!
That's funny, nothing new I guess, I just never quite fit in :cool:.

This thread is beautiful diverse it is split in 2. It's got your full on lumber merchants farmer Steve and dancan ( yep, your full on now) and it's got'roots' guy scroungers. Zogger, myidol..ZOGGER! no wood too small. Even backyard lumber is a choosy wood toff by comparison! Maine wood, ... OurOP.. True ZOGGER scrounging. Me.....I feel I'm scrounge. I'm desperate, give me wood! Any wood! I work for sticks!

Still love dancans pics, and Steve vk, mike and All, great guys, great stories, great, info, great photos, .... But scrounging? Zog, is gold toa true Scrounger.... You guys aren't wood snobs but you aren't filling your trunk with zog..... I want more zogstories!
Ha! thanks. This past half year been all GIANTHUGEMOUNGOUS wood. I do have the branches from a decent sweetgum hanging around, I'll drag out the MIGHTY JAWSAW and make a pile of zoggerwood next week, and get some pics.

This is my busiest time of the year, plus I get the most whipped because of that. Having to mow at least twice a week all my areas, spray, and put the garden in and always fix mechanical stuff. Started ordering parts for the cj7 resto a couple weeks ago, shouldn't need much. Girlfriends ride, one of them, promised her we could get it going again. She hasn't shown a lot of interest but I bet once it is rolling again she will perk back up about it.

Still putzing at busting up all the oakzilla, slow, tedious, the split pile gets bigger, the cut rounds pile gets smaller. Just that one tree is like two years normal cutting for me.

City slicker, urbanite, country bumpkin, live on an Island(sort of, Nova Scotia), firewood producer in Alaska, no excuses.
Their are risks involved in each one, from death by equipment, to death by snakes(ask the micro scrounger), to death by a spouse, this is a no excuse sort of thread PERIOD.
Feeling a little tired after all that, and a bit overwhelmed with the dangers involved in scrounging, I think I will be taking some time off from scrounging for a while if anyone needs me I'll be in the good morning thread:laughing:.
In all seriousness AO I am all to aware of the many issues that can come from lyme disease. I have a friend who suffers greatly from it and a host of other diseases that you are easy prey to once you have lyme disease.
Also one of the saw builders on AS has Lyme disease, but no excuses right:).
Depending on what you are into or not into there are a couple products that have had very good results keeping the ticks at bay.

Permethrin is one that is in a lot of the insect repellant hunting lines.
Rose Geranium Oil is an all natural product that can be used as a tick repellant also.
Hope this helps :).

I like scrounging in the summer , less competition , a lot of people are just plain lazy , who needs heat in the summer , get your wood in September October .....
I did pick up another wood scrounging tool this week .

IMG_0115.JPG

YM336D
The bad part is that it has a hole in the block :(
The good part is that I own a running but ugly garage fire survivor YM336D that I had bought several years ago from a salvage yard :)
It also came with tire chains , factory wheelweights , new led lighting and some stuff to drag behind the tractor :)

I like scrounging in the summer , less competition , a lot of people are just plain lazy , who needs heat in the summer , get your wood in September October .....

IMG_0115.JPG

YM336D
The good part is that I own a running but ugly garage fire survivor YM336D that I had bought several years ago from a salvage yard :)
It also came with tire chains , factory wheelweights , new led lighting and some stuff to drag behind the tractor :)
Wow, that's a sweet find there.
How many hrs, looks like new:yes:.
Is there a specific problem that would blow that engine, or is this a fluke, I've never read anything saying there was a problem with that model/engine:clap:.

Much easier to hoard in the summer, as you aren't burning any or as much. Also, if you have to go scrounge curbside, craigslist, asking tree services, etc., the heat wussies thin out leaving more scrounge to garner.

Plus, offroad easier without deep winter snow or deep winter mud, most places.

>Much easier to hoard in the summer, as you aren't burning any or as much.

unless your name is Backyard Lumberjack! he burns nearly 7/7/365...

> I want more zogstories!

PM him... lol :laughing:

Hoarding and scrounging are not seasonal... they are on - going all the time. why, new opportunity can be just around the next corner... like free firewood... there is enough scroungable oak for firewood in and around my street, not counting my micro-scrounge post... for me to gather up enuff firewood for at least 4-5 all day'rs campfires... ;)

No I haven't actually. I'll wear shorts in the heat just working in the garden or riding on a mower or tractor, but working in the brush, no matter the heat, long pants or long cutting pants, etc. Helps with ticks, skeeters, pickers, poison ivy, etc.

They are already out here, twice a day I de-tick the dogs.

I try to recycle the ticks, usually detick the dogs down by the creek and throw them into the pools so the minnows get them.

Z ses: >I'll wear shorts in the heat just working in the garden or riding on a mower or tractor,

not me, even in heat of mid August.. I cannot use equipment like tractors, mowers in mid day sun. even with sun shields. so I wear long sweats... and time the work for later in afternoon... given the longer daylight hours...

sun down here is just too brutal! caution is the word of the day. sunburn is easy to get... and with the winds... windburn, too...

one must work smart!

In all seriousness AO I am all to aware of the many issues that can come from lyme disease. I have a friend who suffers greatly from it and a host of other diseases that you are easy prey to once you have lyme disease.
Also one of the saw builders on AS has Lyme disease, but no excuses right:).
Depending on what you are into or not into there are a couple products that have had very good results keeping the ticks at bay.

Permethrin is one that is in a lot of the insect repellant hunting lines.
Rose Geranium Oil is an all natural product that can be used as a tick repellant also.
Got it, contracted when I was 19. Never knew about the oil, might try it. I blouse my pants, long sleeves and tuck the shirt in. Won't use Peremetherins, nasty stuff.

IMG_0115.JPG

YM336D
Damn fine score!!

Wow, that's a sweet find there.
How many hrs, look like new:yes:.
Is there a specific problem that would blow that engine, or is this a fluke, I've never read anything saying there was a problem with that model/engine:clap:.

I'm pretty sure it was self inflicted , it only had 1650 hrs on it , he did an oilchange the week before , lent it to his next door neighbour and it blew up on the return trip home .

Got it, contracted when I was 19. Never knew about the oil, might try it. I blouse my pants, long sleeves and tuck the shirt in. Won't use Peremetherins, nasty stuff.
That would be a logical reason to be a bit more aware of the little buggers.
Hope you never have all the issues by buddy does, he only has a few hrs a day he has the strength to do anything and is 100% on disability:(.
He was the type of guy who would do anything for anyone, and now he can hardly care for himself, he makes me think hard when I'm wanting to be judgmental about people I feel are lazy :yes:. If he could deal with the weather in Mi I'd have a room ready for him as quick as I could.

Agreed about the permethrin being some nasty stuff.
We try to do as much with natural remedies and such as we can, and would be considered a bit odd in that regard, but we are ok with it.
Even though the EPA:crazy2::)crazy2:, when I use this guy it's because it's a supposed conspiracy, or it is a factual one) says it's a'okay, I try to stay away from most of the synthetics such as permethrins. Although I would use it if in some areas of the country were ticks are bad, but would limit the use and I would not place it on my skin. I would also not wash any clothing items that had it on them with other clothes, especially my kids clothes. I do this with deet , the 98.25% stuff, you can see how much I've used over the last 5-6yrs. I only use it on my hands(just a couple drops) then my neck and clothes. At least I can control the dosage unlike vaccines:crazy2:.
Like stated above we like the natural remedies and such, but I try to be balanced in life and not swing to far one way or another, as there are benefits to many of the products on the market if used in moderation.
I would use the oil first though and see how that works.
1461848852360.jpg

I'm pretty sure it was self inflicted , it only had 1650 hrs on it , he did an oilchange the week before , lent it to his next door neighbour and it blew up on the return trip home .
Man that thing looks great for 1650hrs.
I figured something like that :yes:.
It does still sound odd, but as long as the one you have is a great runner, who cares:rock:.

Latest posts

Back