Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are talking the little boxes a single chain comes in? I might have a couple laying around.

Yeah. The tree guy I do saw work for also has me sharpen his chains. he wants some kind of organization/labeling so he knows the length of each chain.
So im thinking of buying in bulk. I have also thought of of the manilla tags with wire to put on each chain thats also labeled.

I put mine in a ziplock with a paper tag indicating pitch, # of DL, and whether it is sharp or dull. You could buy a box of cheap business cards and label the back of them with each chain's info.

Problem with those factory boxes is they crush pretty easily and the chain falls out of the bottom.

Yeah. The tree guy I do saw work for also has me sharpen his chains. he wants some kind of organization/labeling so he knows the length of each chain.
So im thinking of buying in bulk. I have also thought of of the manilla tags with wire to put on each chain thats also labeled.

I haven't started doing it yet, but I think it was Philbert had the snazzy idea of using like tupperware sandwhich boxes with labels. Chains can stay nice and clean and oily inside the box.

I put mine in a ziplock with a paper tag indicating pitch, # of DL, and whether it is sharp or dull. You could buy a box of cheap business cards and label the back of them with each chain's info.

Problem with those factory boxes is they crush pretty easily and the chain falls out of the bottom.
I like that idea. Not much invested. Throw it away when u grab one out of the ziploc.

I have enough of these. Have had this box for over a year...only handed out about 2 I think? Haha

6695cc58e107605c605cbbed42e30ee0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I like that idea. Not much invested. Throw it away when u grab one out of the ziploc.

I have enough of these. Have had this box for over a year...only handed out about 2 I think? Haha

6695cc58e107605c605cbbed42e30ee0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Right there in that picture is the first plastic container to go with the card lol.
It's amazing the places your name will travel along with those chains. The guy sells the saw, off goes your card. He takes his saw to the shop to have it worked on and asks the guys to put his new chain on, there's your card:). I am a networker myself and it's amazing how much comes to me because of it. One of the things I love is we all have something to offer and everyone has something we need:).
Similarly we share info here and learn lots while we are at it, I love it.
That is the main reason I got on AS in the first place, felt like I needed to give something back from all the yrs of learning I had done here myself.

I like to save the plastic containers stihl chains come in.
This one was scrounged off the ground where a buddy dropped a bunch of brush at my place, good and bad feeling on that one.20160428_143354.jpg

I purchased one of those cases with movable dividers to put all my chains in. I can't remember what it's called but it's easy to grab on the way out and I have all my chains stored neatly.

Sent from a field

That would be a logical reason to be a bit more aware of the little buggers.
Hope you never have all the issues by buddy does, he only has a few hrs a day he has the strength to do anything and is 100% on disability:(.
He was the type of guy who would do anything for anyone, and now he can hardly care for himself, he makes me think hard when I'm wanting to be judgmental about people I feel are lazy :yes:. If he could deal with the weather in Mi I'd have a room ready for him as quick as I could.

Agreed about the permethrin being some nasty stuff.
We try to do as much with natural remedies and such as we can, and would be considered a bit odd in that regard, but we are ok with it.
Even though the EPA:crazy2::)crazy2:, when I use this guy it's because it's a supposed conspiracy, or it is a factual one) says it's a'okay, I try to stay away from most of the synthetics such as permethrins. Although I would use it if in some areas of the country were ticks are bad, but would limit the use and I would not place it on my skin. I would also not wash any clothing items that had it on them with other clothes, especially my kids clothes. I do this with deet , the 98.25% stuff, you can see how much I've used over the last 5-6yrs. I only use it on my hands(just a couple drops) then my neck and clothes. At least I can control the dosage unlike vaccines:crazy2:.
Like stated above we like the natural remedies and such, but I try to be balanced in life and not swing to far one way or another, as there are benefits to many of the products on the market if used in moderation.
I would use the oil first though and see how that works.
Hope this helps :).
View attachment 500734
I guess I'm lucky. I get a little tired before my buddies, knee joints are PITA. Not the end of the world for me, just keep trucking. I feel for your buddy, wish him the best.

I purchased one of those cases with movable dividers to put all my chains in. I can't remember what it's called but it's easy to grab on the way out and I have all my chains stored neatly.

Sent from a field
Hi CF.
Thats a good idea.

How's that dump trailer been treating you.
Any thoughts/advice after having it a while.
Hope all is well over your way.

I guess I'm lucky. I get a little tired before my buddies, knee joints are PITA. Not the end of the world for me, just keep trucking. I feel for your buddy, wish him the best.
Thanks, he's a great guy. Sometimes we are talking on the phone and he just can't focus because he's so tired and says he has to go:(.
Cut back on the acidic foods and the joints will begin to feel better, pop and coffee can be killers when it comes to joint pain. I know way to much about it unfortunately as ankylosing spondylitis can suck, but no excuses right:cheers:.
I keep on trucking as well since I drove truck for many yrs :yes:.

Hi CF.
Thats a good idea.

How's that dump trailer been treating you.
Any thoughts/advice after having it a while.
Hope all is well over your way.
Trailer has been doing what it's supposed to.

After getting the wheels bearings repacked and adjusted because there was barely any grease in them and they were all loose. The latch for the toolbox came apart in my hand one morning so I had to replace that. Couple lights are burned out already.

But it did dump a 4000 pound over rating load after moving some from the front to the back. Can't complain about that but I wouldn't buy another from this dealer or manufacturer. I won't recommend it to anyone either just on principle.

Sent from a field

Trailer has been doing what it's supposed to.

After getting the wheels bearings repacked and adjusted because there was barely any grease in them and they were all loose. The latch for the toolbox came apart in my hand one morning so I had to replace that. Couple lights are burned out already.

But it did dump a 4000 pound over rating load after moving some from the front to the back. Can't complain about that but I wouldn't buy another from this dealer or manufacturer. I won't recommend it to anyone either just on principle.

Sent from a field
I remember something about that one being sold as something it wasn't.
Was that the place just north of m-21. I've heard good and bad things from over there.
I've tore the heck out of my aluminum 20'.
If it was an aluma brand it would still look great, just used.
But that's how it goes when you don't look it over before you buy it(auction buy).
It certainly would have cost around as much as you gave for the dump as well.
Do you have any recommendations on a dump trailer for me to buy.

It was becks north of St Johns.

I would recommend either a load trail or PJ. I should have bought the load trail they had there, but I purchased based on price and the reputation Legend dump trailers used to have. Legend doesn't make dump trailers anymore so don't get fooled like I did.

Sent from a field

It was becks north of St Johns.

I would recommend either a load trail or PJ. I should have bought the load trail they had there, but I purchased based on price and the reputation Legend dump trailers used to have. Legend doesn't make dump trailers anymore so don't get fooled like I did.

Sent from a field
That's where I thought you got it.
The PJ, big tex, and load trails seem to be the best.
Thanks for the advice.

In all seriousness AO I am all to aware of the many issues that can come from lyme disease. I have a friend who suffers greatly from it and a host of other diseases that you are easy prey to once you have lyme disease.
Also one of the saw builders on AS has Lyme disease, but no excuses right:).
Depending on what you are into or not into there are a couple products that have had very good results keeping the ticks at bay.

Permethrin is one that is in a lot of the insect repellant hunting lines.
Rose Geranium Oil is an all natural product that can be used as a tick repellant also.
Hope this helps :).
@chipper1 Where do you get the Rose Geranium Oil you speak of? Ticks are out already around here.

Latest posts

Back