Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edger ? You mean kindlin maker LOL

I went and resplit that last batch of scrounged up birch , all to size and now down by the racks for storage .
I did have an incident ,

b0HyfCBXrY5Yz4BsD9X547AyBGbYBDLQ50KySkcvodSU70yK363eN0TfcwZgXIu9K4xzV_22Sw=w793-h805-no

Busted my favourite wedge , that one was easy to tap in and then drive it home , that bigger POS needs a chainsaw kerf to start .
Since it was a nice day a beach run was in order to beat the afternoon heat :)

pIQq8UnNbPrTUxjHHoyOOXyfxcJ8KjnAW7-vV3E-QOmoQiOiCH8Ha7T9-ppupkgQ2gzqBDoUsQ=w1357-h611-no

Spain is that way through the opening ;)

FsbQxuibQESXLnduZzw5vonK3HX6WVJE-27ytxhbC3udxzZrJs5PByFFspt4c5ruhbB_M7tNKQ=w1350-h805-no

Scrounge on gentleman !!!

20160827_082828-jpg.521909

Yeah, that's a nice one!
Wait til we get the big ash down :).
How is the tongue weight on the trailer when loaded? Looks like it would be heavy.
Yes, it was a little heavy on the tounge. The good thing is this was all dead standing and it was a relatively light load. You see how I normally have the boards I put on the front to stop the load at about 4' from the front, I forgot those:nofunny:. I left the house a bit early Sat morn after being up til 2, 5:45 comes quick, and no amount of coffee can fix that:crazy:. I did take a nap around 5 and I don't do that very often, then I was like:dancing:.
The neighbor that was going to buy it from me backed out so now I need to get it all off my trailer first thing in the morning, not looking forward to it.
Speaking of that I gotta get to bed :yes:, good night everyone :hi:.

Thanks Steve. With no mechanized logging equipment except a Jeep Cherokee "skiddah", things went pretty well. If it wasn't for the "mountain climb" up to the woodlot, I might have been done a little sooner. Those trees sure slide out nice with a 40% down grade, on bone dry ground. Sometimes being in drought conditions has it advantages!

The lakes are real low here and we've had several burn bans this summer with a stretch of woods closure for all gov trails and forest .
Lots of dry wells in some areas and it's a 2 week wait for the guys that deliver tankers of water for those that refill their wells .
When I was cutting on that last scrounge I was having the birch bark turn to embers as I was taking down the larger birch , I made sure to splash lots of water around and double checked before I left so that there was no chance of fire . This dryness is one of the reasons I've not been scrounging the woods that I have a key to the gate for , it's not worth the risk , especially since it's not my woods and I don't want the landowner to worry that something could happen .
I did get a call from another carpenter friend this week , he's got a customer that wants a bigger back yard and needs 6 non hazard trees taken down , it's a paying scrounge :)

Wait til we get the big ash down :).

Yes, it was a little heavy on the tounge. The good thing is this was all dead standing and it was a relatively light load. You see how I normally have the boards I put on the front to stop the load at about 4' from the front, I forgot those:nofunny:. I left the house a bit early Sat morn after being up til 2, 5:45 comes quick, and no amount of coffee can fix that:crazy:. I did take a nap around 5 and I don't do that very often, then I was like:dancing:.
The neighbor that was going to buy it from me backed out so now I need to get it all off my trailer first thing in the morning, not looking forward to it.
Speaking of that I gotta get to bed :yes:, good night everyone :hi:.
That's a damn nice size log there [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The lakes are real low here and we've had several burn bans this summer with a stretch of woods closure for all gov trails and forest .
Lots of dry wells in some areas and it's a 2 week wait for the guys that deliver tankers of water for those that refill their wells .
When I was cutting on that last scrounge I was having the birch bark turn to embers as I was taking down the larger birch , I made sure to splash lots of water around and double checked before I left so that there was no chance of fire . This dryness is one of the reasons I've not been scrounging the woods that I have a key to the gate for , it's not worth the risk , especially since it's not my woods and I don't want the landowner to worry that something could happen .
I did get a call from another carpenter friend this week , he's got a customer that wants a bigger back yard and needs 6 non hazard trees taken down , it's a paying scrounge :)
Pretty dry here too, smoke from fire east of us, burned 40,000 acres yesterday, getting close to our standing inventory of firewood

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    660.1 KB · Views: 25
W
Back on the rails: I was eating dinner on the deck tonight, and looked across the hill to my bucked but not split pile. There was a groundhog on top of the pile. I attempted a couple of shots at about 80 yards, but didn't get him.

Dang woodchuck was trying to chuck my wood!

The kids got a kick, etc. etc.
What type of shooting iron were you trying to blast him with?

W

What type of shooting iron were you trying to blast him with?

Marlin .22 Magnum. It's capable of shooting 80 yards, but I have it sighted in at 25, and I've never checked the drop at 80, so I could have been shooting right under him.

I thought the .270 would be a bit inappropriate for dinner table entertainment. ;)

If it is on at 25 yds, it should be darn close at 80, but we have all missed at times.

There was one standing on top of a fence post one time, and I hurried the shot from my 220 before it moved, and I missed it. That gun is dead nuts on, but with a 26" bull barrel, it pays to take your time and use the bipod.

Handloading also really improved my success with that gun. Not that I could ever match the accuracy of the Norma Factory stuff, but their 48 grain bullets were so hard they were making pencil holes through the chucks, and they generally made it back to their holes. Hollow points just stop them in their tracks.

The Norma stuff was so accurate that at the range I would put holes in holes. One time I adjusted the scope up one click at a time and made a 6 shot vertical string.

I actually have Dad's TC contender with a 7x30 barrel and a .22 hornet barrel. I've thought about putting a decent red dot sight on the .22 hornet barrel and carrying it for a handy little chuck killer.

The 7x30 on a 14" barrel is an absolute deer slayer in thick woods. You can shoulder holster carry, keeping both hands free for scrambling and sneaking, and when you need to get off a quick shot, you don't have to worry about getting tangled in the brush.

Dad bought it in the 80's, after someone came into the barn when he was milking cows, and asked if they could hunt groundhogs. He watched them set up and make 200-300 yard shots with their TC, and he had to have one after that. It was in the PA Game News years ago. I wish I still had a copy.

Latest posts

Back