Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is that saw on the back right, he must have painted it no i don't think i have ever seen a Stihl with black covers. i think 4000 could be a touch high though haha
Pics aren't the best but one looks like an 070. Those are big saws!

The Echo guy is Zehr's Sales and Manufacturing in Millbank. Not sure if he sells tools or not but he does have rental equipment. He also sells stuff at a few sales that I go to. There is also Millbank Hardware which is huge and sells pretty much any tool you can think of.
Not sure who that is that is selling the stuff on Kijiji, the address in just south of Aintree trailer park and just off Lake Range Drive. Nice to have better pictures and individual prices even though I have enough of everything.

I use the 260 to cut trees down and limb. I use my 440 mainly to cut rounds. The logs usually sit a year or so and are pretty dry. Latest logs are mostly bigger stuff up to 20". I don't grease the tip very often but I might have to change that plan. I also plan to keep a can of Fluid Film or something and spray the bar once in awhile to help abit too. I do pour extra bar oil on the bar but it doesn't help the wear points for long. Looks like time for a new bar. Good thing I keep spare stuff in stock.
IMG_20160926_175636.jpg IMG_20160926_175835.jpg IMG_20160926_175859.jpg IMG_20160926_180522.jpg IMG_20160925_191554.jpg

I use the 260 to cut trees down and limb. I use my 440 mainly to cut rounds. The logs usually sit a year or so and are pretty dry. Latest logs are mostly bigger stuff up to 20". I don't grease the tip very often but I might have to change that plan. I also plan to keep a can of Fluid Film or something and spray the bar once in awhile to help abit too. I do pour extra bar oil on the bar but it doesn't help the wear points for long. Looks like time for a new bar. Good thing I keep spare stuff in stock.
View attachment 527852 View attachment 527853 View attachment 527854 View attachment 527855 View attachment 527856
Ballpark, how many cords has that bar seen?

SVK, too many saws so have no idea on how many cord are thru that bar. I'm guessing less than 2 years because I usually buy the bars in pairs and there was only one left. I also cut a lot of wood at 32" so only half the cutting. I think the main issue is that I cut so much at one time the bar just gets so hot it melts the oil. When I refill oil it pretty much turns to water from the hot saw. I think I will keep the 660 handy and switch saws or even at least switch out the bars. I plan to cut the rest of the pile in one go so it's gonna get hot. I did a rough count on some before and after pictures of the logs that I cut on Saturday night and sunday, I cut approx. 80 logs x 12' long into 16" pieces so 640 cuts. That's a lot of heat, and 3 sharpenings. I would have cut the whole pile but I went for a little ride with my grandson. On Saturday morning I dug out a water hole for the deer and turkeys in the bush. My Dad dug the original one over 50 years ago. IMG_20160925_103430.jpg IMG_20160925_101844.jpg IMG_20160924_121603.jpg

SVK, too many saws so have no idea on how many cord are thru that bar. I'm guessing less than 2 years because I usually buy the bars in pairs and there was only one left. I also cut a lot of wood at 32" so only half the cutting. I think the main issue is that I cut so much at one time the bar just gets so hot it melts the oil. When I refill oil it pretty much turns to water from the hot saw. I think I will keep the 660 handy and switch saws or even at least switch out the bars. I plan to cut the rest of the pile in one go so it's gonna get hot. I did a rough count on some before and after pictures of the logs that I cut on Saturday night and sunday, I cut approx. 80 logs x 12' long into 16" pieces so 640 cuts. That's a lot of heat, and 3 sharpenings. I would have cut the whole pile but I went for a little ride with my grandson. On Saturday morning I dug out a water hole for the deer and turkeys in the bush. My Dad dug the original one over 50 years ago. View attachment 527868 View attachment 527869 View attachment 527871
Quite the tree there, what species is it?

SVK, ironwood. I'm told it's one of the biggest around here. There are a few of them scattered around the bush and one on the fenceline.
Philbert, I think a 24" bar would solve most of the wear problem. I'm ordering a couple for the 440 just to see if it helps. I put 3 logs on my forks at a time so it means more cutting at the tip which is the weak (hot) point.

found a few more trees in my neighbors woods. he told me to get all i can before he sells the property. had one that didn't want to cooperate.some big rocks around the base and footing was a little hairy.the big one is a red oak about 30". the wood in the bucket is all the dead dry limbs from the oak.
20160926_130546_resized.jpg 20160926_122923_resized.jpg 20160926_123016_resized.jpg

The Echo guy is Zehr's Sales and Manufacturing in Millbank. Not sure if he sells tools or not but he does have rental equipment. He also sells stuff at a few sales that I go to. There is also Millbank Hardware which is huge and sells pretty much any tool you can think of.
Not sure who that is that is selling the stuff on Kijiji, the address in just south of Aintree trailer park and just off Lake Range Drive. Nice to have better pictures and individual prices even though I have enough of everything.

Maybe a drive to Millbank is in order one of these days then to check things out. there used to be a small dealer for Dolmar down on lake range somewhere, or at least on dolmars website it showed one, and i seen 1 or 2 adds on kijiji for Dolmar down there before they where bought out. don't know if buddy kept them after the swap of names. do you have one of the kijiji adds buddy has up there not finding anything on it when i go searching.

That bar you have has definatley seen better days, i was looking at my stihl last night after seeing it, and it doesn't look like any of the new ones have the oil hole in the noise anymore i wonder what the deal is with that, i guess Laser is the only ones doing it still?

I run the Stihl E bar and TSC bar oil and have not had that happen since. I try to keep the nose out of the wood, but I got a lot of hours on some of my bars. Checking and keeping proper chain tension, and a sharp chain, is also very important. I think running the square file chain helps, and I keep the oiler turned up. I never grease it.

A 24/25" E bar may also be a good option, a lot cheaper & lighter than the ES bars, but they seem to hold up well on my ported 460s.

wowzer, I just clicked on the link from woodnazi and then googled the address.
I'm planning to Fluid Film the bar more often. As soon as this damn online auction is done I'm heading out to cut some more rounds. Bidding on a stump grapple that I really don't need. Aero Marine auction. Damn just lost the stump grapple but have high bid on a brush grapple. 63 minutes left til closing unless some other idiot bids on it.

wowzer, I just clicked on the link from woodnazi and then googled the address.
I'm planning to Fluid Film the bar more often. As soon as this damn online auction is done I'm heading out to cut some more rounds. Bidding on a stump grapple that I really don't need. Aero Marine auction. Damn just lost the stump grapple but have high bid on a brush grapple. 63 minutes left til closing unless some other idiot bids on it.

Aww gotcha. No i thought you where meaning there was other kijiji adds, there was a guy selling dolmar and Milwaukee tools in Point Clark but i don't see them anymore on there.

I have used that Fluid Film on batteries and car doors and such, never even thought about using it on the hedge trimmer on the bar, might have to use some myself there when i'm sharpening the chain, thanks for that.

i have seen Aero Auctions and tracked a couple of things and every time it seems like things are going for more than they are worth almost probably a lot of companies tracking gear on there, good luck.

Back