Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a Forestry Master, one of the cheapest bars that Laser sells. I don't think they offer it in the new catalog. I usually buy the Forestry Pro bars but somehow messed up the Part numbers and got the cheap ones. The Pro bars are a littler more pointed and I thought maybe the more rounded bar would work better for just cutting rounds but guess not. Son is a Dealer so I pay wholesale price. 20" Forestry Master is $17, 20" Forestry Pro is $34, and 20" Ultra is $53. I'm buying chains in 10 pack for $170 before taxes. I should be throwing out the chains sooner.

What is your son's company?, might have to get you to order me up some chains at that price haha and a bar or 12

Have you always run TSC bar oil, any other problems with bars before or just these 2 bars?

What is your son's company?, might have to get you to order me up some chains at that price haha and a bar or 12

Have you always run TSC bar oil, any other problems with bars before or just these 2 bars?
Yeah I'm thinking a Midwestern Ontario get together where Cantoo gets us cheap saw stuff!!! Lol.

I run the regular (not winter) TSC oil in all weather, no problems. Your saw will warm it up. I also run Stihl bars & chains. May cost a bit more, but they last, so IMO, they are worth it. Steel chain is a little bit harder and holds an edge a little bit longer, all good IMO. Remember what my Dad used to say "Quality will be remembered long after the price paid is forgotten".

Not electric or battery saws. Have to thin that stuff out in cold weather. Sometimes, even the 'winter grade' stuff.

Philbert

Winter...what's that?? Don't think I've seen a winter mix before but I think it may be pointless for south TX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run the regular (not winter) TSC oil in all weather, no problems. Your saw will warm it up. I also run Stihl bars & chains. May cost a bit more, but they last, so IMO, they are worth it. Steel chain is a little bit harder and holds an edge a little bit longer, all good IMO. Remember what my Dad used to say "Quality will be remembered long after the price paid is forgotten".
I was just at TSC today and they had the bar oil for $6.

I was just at TSC today and they had the bar oil for $6.
I purchased bar oil from Menards and the 2 things I liked about it are the price and the viscosity. . . I believe it was labeled allseason bar Oil and at the time it was $3 per gallon. I have grown to dislike Tractor Supply... they have become the Harbor Freight of farm stores... It's kind of sad because they were once a great store.

Well the new bar looks like crap already. I'm blaming it on a few things. Maybe the chain was worn too bad and I was using winter bar oil from TSC. Cut 50 logs so 400 cuts. I cancelled my Lazer Forestry Pro bars and changed order to the next step up bar. Looks same just a different sticker. Going to get summer weight oil. I was using Lazer summer oil and when the jug was empty I just grabbed the next one on the shelf and never realized it was winter oil. The ash is also really really dry so I should have been using heavier bar lube. Oiler is working fine, just running it too hot. I changed out the bar chain and cut another 20 logs and the bar looks about the same. Only 50 logs left on the pile so it'll last to get it done. I'm planning to cut a whole mess of Poplar so the saw will get a break.
View attachment 528263 View attachment 528264 View attachment 528265
Wow that's sad.... I recently got a Oregon power match bar to try out.... Haven't put enough hours in it to say anything yet, but works fine now.... Time will tell!!!!

I purchased bar oil from Menards and the 2 things I liked about it are the price and the viscosity. . . I believe it was labeled allseason bar Oil and at the time it was $3 per gallon. I have grown to dislike Tractor Supply... they have become the Harbor Freight of farm stores... It's kind of sad because they were once a great store.
I just like saying "Menards". Lol. "Can't find any nuts? Look at Menards". Ahahaha!! I kill me!!

17$ 20" bar , I wouldn't expect much at double the price .

Mighty Mouse Logging LLC

But , I know that if I was at the store and saw a bar at that price , I'd be thinking "Polly made of cheeze grade steel" as I was paying the clerk for it LOL
I wouldn't be able to not buy it .

IMG_20160929_173003.jpg My son works for a motorcycle dealership and they are a Laser supplier. They don't sell a lot of stuff so to get free shipping I usually top up their orders so his Boss gives me stuff at their cost. He also borrows stuff off me so it's a payback too. I used to use Laser bar oil and it was good stuff but they recently almost doubled the price to ship oil by courier so switched to TSC oil. I've worn out bars before but nothing like these two, I think it's because they are the cheap bar. I cut another 20 logs tonight and the bar looks exactly the same. Maybe it was the chain? I also changed the drum and sprocket because I had a new set on the shelf ( I really have too much stuff sitting around).
I'm ordering the better bars, throwing out a few chains and figure it'll be ok. Also lubing the hell out of the bar with real chain lube.

I bought a few loops of chain from a small shop. The owner retired and the son in law runs it out of a garage. Probably will not go back because it is a bit out of the way for me, and it is hit and miss when he is there. He made up some loops of Laser full chisel though, and I loved it. TSC carries Jonsered bar oil. It cost a little more but I like that too, especially in the winter.

Well I finally caved and have a 70 cc class saw.

Picked up a 266/272 hybrid from a fellow AS member tonight. Saw is a 266 case with a new 272 P+C, base gasket delete, and muffler mod.

Ordered a new top cover and tracking said it was in St Paul yesterday for delivery today and now today it's in Philadelphia....wtf! Hoping it arrives by Saturday so I don't have to fiddle with the old cover.

We recently ran my stock 562 against a stock 10mm 044 with identical chains and the 562 was just nipping at the heels of the 044 after three cuts. I'm just hoping this saw will be a bit faster otherwise I'll have to send it off to a builder lol.

Well I finally caved and have a 70 cc class saw.

Picked up a 266/272 hybrid from a fellow AS member tonight. Saw is a 266 case with a new 272 P+C, base gasket delete, and muffler mod.

Ordered a new top cover and tracking said it was in St Paul yesterday for delivery today and now today it's in Philadelphia....wtf! Hoping it arrives by Saturday so I don't have to fiddle with the old cover.

We recently ran my stock 562 against a stock 10mm 044 with identical chains and the 562 was just nipping at the heels of the 044 after three cuts. I'm just hoping this saw will be a bit faster otherwise I'll have to send it off to a builder lol.
Awesome, that should be a great saw! Sure liked the one I had, very good power with muff mod, and holes in air filter cover.

View attachment 528453 My son works for a motorcycle dealership and they are a Laser supplier. They don't sell a lot of stuff so to get free shipping I usually top up their orders so his Boss gives me stuff at their cost. He also borrows stuff off me so it's a payback too. I used to use Laser bar oil and it was good stuff but they recently almost doubled the price to ship oil by courier so switched to TSC oil. I've worn out bars before but nothing like these two, I think it's because they are the cheap bar. I cut another 20 logs tonight and the bar looks exactly the same. Maybe it was the chain? I also changed the drum and sprocket because I had a new set on the shelf ( I really have too much stuff sitting around).
I'm ordering the better bars, throwing out a few chains and figure it'll be ok. Also lubing the hell out of the bar with real chain lube.

Yeah I'm thinking a Midwestern Ontario get together where Cantoo gets us cheap saw stuff!!! Lol.

Well let me and Wood Nazi know if you need to top up the order for free shipping
is that fluid film you put on the bar or? i seen at Crappy tire tonight they had bar oil on sale, i'm tempted to start into the TSC stuff, or something different than Stihl just cost is a little high.

Latest posts

Back