Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The kids had today and tomorrow off of school so we hit the trails this morning. Did the circle and I got over half of the brush pitched off the third trail. Picked up one grouse this evening.

Sadly the foresters were up yesterday and flagged off another chunk of public land for timber sale. I've hinted that land since I was young and it's sad to see it go. It appears some of the nice norways on one side of it will be spared anyhow.
Ive hunted forestry land a lot. Once it's cut over, smaller plants, trees and brush grow in (food for deer) If you can get high up in one of the trees they leave, you can see down into that mess. I've got a lot of deer in that stuff. Shot one once and it disappeared. So I waited for a bit and got down off the stand and couldn't find it. It was only about a 40 yard shot at first light. I walked in circles, even climbed back up the stand to look. I knew I hit him so I found his tracks and the just stopped where I shot him. Finally I see a bit of antler sticking out of the water in a skidder rut. The ruts were pretty deep in spots and it had been raining a lot. When I shot , he fell into a rut and sank out of sight. Lol.
Logging sure makes a mess and it's not pretty but the hunting will still be there, just different.

Ive hunted forestry land a lot. Once it's cut over, smaller plants, trees and brush grow in (food for deer) If you can get high up in one of the trees they leave, you can see down into that mess. I've got a lot of deer in that stuff. Shot one once and it disappeared. So I waited for a bit and got down off the stand and couldn't find it. It was only about a 40 yard shot at first light. I walked in circles, even climbed back up the stand to look. I knew I hit him so I found his tracks and the just stopped where I shot him. Finally I see a bit of antler sticking out of the water in a skidder rut. The ruts were pretty deep in spots and it had been raining a lot. When I shot , he fell into a rut and sank out of sight. Lol.
Logging sure makes a mess and it's not pretty but the hunting will still be there, just different.
Yeah I agree that logging doesn't hurt hunting just changes tactics. The one problem is the corner of this tract is along a forest road so it opens it up a lot and also makes a stand more susceptible to theft when you are down for lunch etc. Oh well I've gotten many years out of it.

Did some duck hunting this morning. Spied some beaver cut bur oak but it's about a 2 mile drag by wheeler and terrain is too rough to bring the wagon back there. That's the only spot in my area where bur oak grows in any numbers. Ironically it's lowland and the oak is growing alongside American elm and black ash as well as the largest Aspen I've ever seen.

Yeah I agree that logging doesn't hurt hunting just changes tactics. The one problem is the corner of this tract is along a forest road so it opens it up a lot and also makes a stand more susceptible to theft when you are down for lunch etc. Oh well I've gotten many years out of it.
Around here the logged areas are way better hunting.

Around here the logged areas are way better hunting.
I'm kind of a purist and like to be up close and personal in the deep woods. Many of my deer have been shot at less than ten yards. I won't disagree that field or slashing hunting is very productive. Plus you can sit in a nice heated stand rather than freezing in a tree lol.

I'm kind of a purist and like to be up close and personal in the deep woods. Many of my deer have been shot at less than ten yards. I won't disagree that field or slashing hunting is very productive. Plus you can sit in a nice heated stand rather than freezing in a tree lol.
I understand, it's also hard to see your long hunted area change wether it makes the hunting better or not.

Do it! The 576xp's are great saws. My, frankly tired, one can still pull a full comp 28in bar with reasonable authority in Red Oak and Soft maple.
I have to buy a new jug and piston for it. The one I have, has a couple of groves above the intake port, I was gonna reuse it still and just drop a piston in it, but the one I got was a farmertec for a 575 and the ports on the piston are much smaller, so I don't know if that will effect overall performance?

Well I had big plans today but got greedy and got taught a lesson. Had my rear log grapple on and was pulling out some logs in the rain. 2 were lined up nice so I thought hey I'll put them both out at the same time, nice short reasonably straight run to the landing. Well except for a hidden hole that shot my sideways and my foot slipped off the clutch pedal, good thing I had it in 4 wheel drive. By the time I got it stopped the damage was done. Going to be a little more difficult fix this time. I put small chain on in place of the sway bars so a link would just snap instead of breaking something important. Well the chain held and something more important snapped. Good thing it's a bolt on part and I can just order a new one. The 3 point hitch arms are going to need a bit of heat though. Just goes to show how good my welding is. From now on only going to do straight runs and 1 log at a time. Just too much leverage on the long grapple when it's pulling sideways.
IMG_20161022_132040.jpg IMG_20161022_132034.jpg IMG_20161022_143808.jpg IMG_20161022_143808.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20161022_141655.jpg
    IMG_20161022_141655.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
Did some duck hunting this morning. Spied some beaver cut bur oak but it's about a 2 mile drag by wheeler and terrain is too rough to bring the wagon back there. That's the only spot in my area where bur oak grows in any numbers. Ironically it's lowland and the oak is growing alongside American elm and black ash as well as the largest Aspen I've ever seen.
I love Beaver...lol

Back