Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I had big plans today but got greedy and got taught a lesson. Had my rear log grapple on and was pulling out some logs in the rain. 2 were lined up nice so I thought hey I'll put them both out at the same time, nice short reasonably straight run to the landing. Well except for a hidden hole that shot my sideways and my foot slipped off the clutch pedal, good thing I had it in 4 wheel drive. By the time I got it stopped the damage was done. Going to be a little more difficult fix this time. I put small chain on in place of the sway bars so a link would just snap instead of breaking something important. Well the chain held and something more important snapped. Good thing it's a bolt on part and I can just order a new one. The 3 point hitch arms are going to need a bit of heat though. Just goes to show how good my welding is. From now on only going to do straight runs and 1 log at a time. Just too much leverage on the long grapple when it's pulling sideways.
View attachment 532889 View attachment 532890 View attachment 532891 View attachment 532891

Glad it didn't break the tractor where the lift arm bolts on. I've seen that on craigslist- broken casting on rear end. Hope you can get it fixed quick and easy.

Glad it didn't break the tractor where the lift arm bolts on. I've seen that on craigslist- broken casting on rear end. Hope you can get it fixed quick and easy.
This is a good point, my uncle "beefed " up his lower arms on a old jubilee and when something had to give it took a chunk out of the final drive housing.

PSU, that was my 1st worry too. I put the light chain on there as a kind of shear pin, might have to get some lighter chain. I normally just pull in 2 wheel drive so it just spins instead of getting traction. I had it on 4x4 because it was wet and muddy because of the rain and this is a bit hiller part of the bush. Lots of hidden holes and old ruts. I was also getting in a rush. It's likely going to take awhile for the new part to come in and the tractor is pretty much unless without some weight on the rear end. It's a TLB so the front end is heavy without the hoe on. I was moving some scrap steel around today and it was dancing all over the place with one or two of the back wheels off the ground most of the time. Today would have been a beautiful day in the bush but I had other stuff to do.

PSU, that was my 1st worry too. I put the light chain on there as a kind of shear pin, might have to get some lighter chain. I normally just pull in 2 wheel drive so it just spins instead of getting traction. I had it on 4x4 because it was wet and muddy because of the rain and this is a bit hiller part of the bush. Lots of hidden holes and old ruts. I was also getting in a rush. It's likely going to take awhile for the new part to come in and the tractor is pretty much unless without some weight on the rear end. It's a TLB so the front end is heavy without the hoe on. I was moving some scrap steel around today and it was dancing all over the place with one or two of the back wheels off the ground most of the time. Today would have been a beautiful day in the bush but I had other stuff to do.
Hey Cantoo, I was down in your part of the country this weekend. Is that your trailer at Goderich power?

I worked on a new barn for my cows this afternoon. It was nice here too - but really windy. I'm anxious to get my barn done so I can get back to cutting. I'll have to post some pics of my old tractor to make everyone feel better about what they own lol.

Wood Nazi, yup, that's my trailer sitting there. My son works there. I guess the sign they have on it is working if you seen it. They've sold close to 10 loads so far this fall. I built the campfire trailer too with the wooden compartments on it but not sure if it's still sitting out front or not.

Wood Nazi, yup, that's my trailer sitting there. My son works there. I guess the sign they have on it is working if you seen it. They've sold close to 10 loads so far this fall. I built the campfire trailer too with the wooden compartments on it but not sure if it's still sitting out front or not.
It's the first thing you see coming into town. We spent the weekend down at the Pinery. Lot of oak along that stretch.

Well , the lot is done , all cut , all done :)

20161023_092034.jpg

20161023_092429_Burst01.jpg

20161023_115513.jpg

Jerry came by and burnt a few tanks of mix as well .

20161023_121433.jpg

On the way out after we put the saws away we stopped at a house that the subdivision's owner asked us to cut up a couple of dead trees .

20161023_160947_HDR.jpg

Ended up with a small load of dead spruce for home .

20161023_164617.jpg

I cut it all up with my electric Stihl after supper , when I came back in the wife asked what I was doing , she didn't hear a thing .

So I have a Columbia Gas main line running through my yard and they are abandoning the old line. They are puting the new line 40 feet farther south into my neighbors yard. This is a 20" mainline 8ft deep and they are replacing SEVEN MILES of line. So guess whos cutting down tons of trees starting in Feb 2018. :D

I have one big maple on the line they are cutting but my neighbor has two big pines and like 5 maples. Across the street is a section of woods the line has to go through. I'm not even leaving the property the next time I go scrounging and it will be a bigger scrounge then I have ever been a part of.

Sounds good Wood Nazi, I've been to the Park a few times visiting family. Not the camping type yet. When we were young we used to ride our dirt bikes and 3 wheelers all along the beach there. Used to be able to park at the camp grounds and ride wherever you wanted too. Lots of nice oak down and rotting there now.

So, I've been helping my Grandson with his Math homework lately, and I think I'm getting the hang of it, so here goes:

MustangMike split 1 & 1/2 cord of Red Oak on Sunday. If Red Oak weighs 4,500 lbs / cord, and MustangMike had 18 rounds that he quartered with his saw when he started splitting:

A) How much did the Oak that MustangMike split weigh?
B) How many pieces of wood did MustangMike lift into the splitter? and,
C) What is the average weight of each of the quartered pieces of wood he lifted?

Not a bad workout for an old guy! And if we went the full day, we could have easily done over 2 cord. Even left the splitter in horizontal mode the whole time, and although I had a helper, he just stacked the split wood, I did all the heavy lifting.

Of course the tough part is that not all of the quarters were the same weight, and some of the larger quarters from the larger rounds were pretty darn heavy!

Made a rookie mistake yesterday , I replaced a file in my 2in1 stihl file guide , I sharpened 1 side , flipped it over to do the other side .
"Hmm " I thot , "Did I replace the wrong file or is this one done as well ???"
On closer inspection , it was the new file , I put it in the holder backwards lol

Back