Scrounging just got serious

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CF, you will not be disappointed. I beat the life out of mine and it is still in good shape. It comes at a great price point. Look around and I'm sure you did $800-$1000 better then the next closest brand. They are all so similar, you are definitely splitting hairs. Just my 2 cents.....

Was the 10k jack and adjustable tongue an add on? Mine had a joke of a jack on it. 2 or 3k tube style boat jack. Bent it clean off in the first two months. Hung too low to because you need so much travel to pick up such a heavy trailer off a truck.

Mine is a fixed 2-5/16" coupler which sucks because I had to buy 3 different 16k receivers, 2 drops and 1 riser.

CF, you will not be disappointed. I beat the life out of mine and it is still in good shape. It comes at a great price point. Look around and I'm sure you did $800-$1000 better then the next closest brand. They are all so similar, you are definitely splitting hairs. Just my 2 cents.....

Im sure it will work just fine. Its a matter of principle. They are clearly selling them as "Legend" trailers.....

http://www.beckstrailerstore.com/de...79790&p=4&vc=dump&s=Year&d=D&fr=xAllInventory

I just got the title and its a "Griffin." I do not wish to imply that its an inferior trailer... simply that it is being sold under a name that doesn't belong to it. Add in the fact that the salesman told me... "we have these built to our specifications" and I think they are being purposefully dishonest riding on the name recognition of Legend. If they advertise them as "Griffin" trailers Id have no issues.... Its be like if I went to buy a Ford and they sold me a Chevy... Sure it'll work, but its not what they are representing it as.

And I have a serious problem with that.

Was the 10k jack and adjustable tongue an add on? Mine had a joke of a jack on it. 2 or 3k tube style boat jack. Bent it clean off in the first two months. Hung too low to because you need so much travel to pick up such a heavy trailer off a truck.

Yes, they were additional. Not standard. Not sure I actually paid for them, though. Which brings me to something else I found odd at the time and leads me to believe they are a bait and switch outfit....

When the salesman worked up the numbers, he took them to his manager and came back $500 MORE than the salesman worked up. I said no to that and the salesman asked me to meet him in the middle so I said go see what your boss says. I had time to think about it and when he came back I didn't give him a chance to get his answer out and I told him I need to shop around more. Something just didn't seem right. At which point he told me that if I was going to walk, he'd do the original price without consulting his manager. Admittedly I was getting short on time and flat should have walked out... But I was already invested in it.....

There are other dealers around the area that sell Load Trail and PJ.... I can get a PJ, low pro with scissor for what I paid for this Griffin... I just have to travel a little further to do it. The Load Trail they had there with scissor and fork stake pockets was right around $1000 more.

Mine is a fixed 2-5/16" coupler which sucks because I had to buy 3 different 16k receivers, 2 drops and 1 riser.

I didn't want to have multiple inserts so I purchased one of these...

https://www.weigh-safe.com/

Pricey, but its warranted for as long as I own it and rated to match the truck.

You should be plenty satsfied with that truck trailer combination. I have a 16' 16k pj gooseneck dump trailer that weighs in at a nice light 6200 empty and my little bitty 5.4 F250 handles it just fine on all but the worst of hills.

I ended up getting a 14' deck over GN Big Tex trailer. So far it has been good. I had to get a deck over to haul the C185 NH as they are 84" wide and do not fit in any normal dump trailer. When it's loaded everything is at capacity. I turned the Cummins up in the old Chevy and she'll pull most of the hills loaded now in OD. I wouldn't get a 14' bumper hitch dump trailer personally. I didn't really like pulling a buddies the goose neck trailers trail better. I haven't had a stack quite as high as above in mine. I'v probably only put 2.5 cords of hedge on mine at the most so far.
When you only go through about 5 cords of wood in a cold year and you can work it all up in one weekend I'm probably overkill on equipment. :laugh:

You'll wonder how you survived without one now Casey.

that's a track machine isn't it?
ive pulled a LT185 (wheeled) a bunch of times, and that's a wide machine on a deckover flatbed...
20140323_183908-jpg.374633

Yes it is. Here is the trailer too. I've picked stuff I probably shouldn't have with it. 12" plus trees with a stump bucket will work it out good.

I wouldn't get a 14' bumper hitch dump trailer personally. I didn't really like pulling a buddies the goose neck trailers trail better.

I didn't want to tie up the bed when hooked up. The truck has a class 5 hitch rated at 18,000 trailer and 1,800 tongue. So Ill never run out of the ability to put enough tongue weight on the hitch to be safe.

If I was going to be doing this professionally or on a very regular basis, I would have gone with a hitch in the bed. But the times Ill max out the trailer or hitch weight will be few and far between. If it wasn't for my desire to use this to haul my tractor, I would have gone with a 12' trailer. But even with my tractor in the trailer, it wont weigh over 6,000 pounds.

Something alot of folks fall into is seeing open space in a trailer as they are putting a load on it and think "I can get more on it." I'm not one of those folks. I may have 14' of bed space but for hauling loads Ill treat it like a 12'.

20140323_183908-jpg.374633

Yes it is. Here is the trailer too. I've picked stuff I probably shouldn't have with it. 12" plus trees with a stump bucket will work it out good.
that don't add much tongue weight with the machine centered over the axles...wouldn't want to pull a bumper pull loaded like that....would be swaying all over the road

Here's what happened to my pjtrailer 20' utility after I unhooked it with my tractor still loaded. I figured it was around 500 - 600lbs of tongue weight. Real piece of shiiit. After contacting them they refused to do anything about it. I would steer clear of pj trailers if you can avoid it. Turns out they also use China made axles not real dexters.20160131_113653.jpg

Here's what happened to my pjtrailer 20' utility after I unhooked it with my tractor still loaded. I figured it was around 500 - 600lbs of tongue weight. Real piece of shiiit. After contacting them they refused to do anything about it. I would steer clear of pj trailers if you can avoid it. Turns out they also use China made axles not real dexters.View attachment 483287

It would have been better to have the jack in the hole where your light cable is routed at that rate. The better heavier duty car hauler trailers use a 4000# jack mounted on a cross member across the hitch channels. I would have been pissed to have that happen. My dump trailer has dual 10,000# jacks so it is no problem unhooking a loaded trailer. I wouldn't want to unload it without it hooked to a truck. I loaded the skid steer once without the goose neck latch latched. I picked the goose neck 6' in the air and set it down next to the ball in my bed. Did I mention my skid steer is a heavy b##ch?

Good thing that's a goose neck, isn't it.

Bet there's more weight on the ball than you think.
Being a gooseneck I bet there's next to no tongue weight...thats a long lever...
I've had the same machine except wheeled, on a 20' bumper pull deckover in the same spot with the regular bucket and a grapple bucket together just like him and the truck don't even squat...a gooseneck puts less weight on the truck than a bumper pull, as the weight isn't applied 4+ feet behind the axle.
Then there's the weight on those machines...it's all in the back! That factory bucket don't weigh anything, and the grapple bucket not much more...
I would back that machine on, but then the tongue weight may be too much...dump trailers are lousy equipment trailers.

Olympyk_999,

I haven't got my nuts grown to the size to attempt going up on reverse yet. It would be better for weight distribution.

I've hauled 6 ton of rock with the trailer. Picked it up no problem. I need to get a solar panel installed so I don't have to put it on the charger periodically.

Being a gooseneck I bet there's next to no tongue weight...thats a long lever...
I've had the same machine except wheeled, on a 20' bumper pull deckover in the same spot with the regular bucket and a grapple bucket together just like him and the truck don't even squat...a gooseneck puts less weight on the truck than a bumper pull, as the weight isn't applied 4+ feet behind the axle.
Then there's the weight on those machines...it's all in the back! That factory bucket don't weigh anything, and the grapple bucket not much more...
I would back that machine on, but then the tongue weight may be too much...dump trailers are lousy equipment trailers.

What? A Gooseneck not only has the additional weight of the neck itself in front of the axles, but it places MORE weight on the truck than a tag trailer. It doesn't matter where you place the weight, it still places the weight. Goose just affords you better stability and more "tounge" weight because you are placing the weight over the rear axle instead of behind it.

I do agree backing the skid loader on would better distribute the weight, but again, Id bet there is more weight on that ball than you think there is. Probably not 10-15%.....

If you look closer you will notice the jack didn't fail the channel was not properly welded. Pretty sad when a 20 00 lbs jack holds up better than a 3 inch welded cross members. The trailer is actually a car trailer with equipment trailer ramps and removable side rails.

What? A Gooseneck not only has the additional weight of the neck itself in front of the axles, but it places MORE weight on the truck than a tag trailer. It doesn't matter where you place the weight, it still places the weight. Goose just affords you better stability and more "tounge" weight because you are placing the weight over the rear axle instead of behind it.

I do agree backing the skid loader on would better distribute the weight, but again, Id bet there is more weight on that ball than you think there is. Probably not 10-15%.....
A bumper pull weights the truck differently...take a GN and a bumper pull with the same tongue weight and the results will be much different. A bumper pull does add more weight to the rear axle...it just takes it from the front of the truck...its the exact same principle as 3point weight vs. Wheel weighs for tractors...3point will add more weight to the rear than wheel weighs

A bumper pull weights the truck differently...take a GN and a bumper pull with the same tongue weight and the results will be much different. A bumper pull does add more weight to the rear axle...it just takes it from the front of the truck...its the exact same principle as 3point weight vs. Wheel weighs for tractors...3point will add more weight to the rear than wheel weighs
You're right. I forgot about the weight coming off the front axle.

Sent from a field

Been hauling crushed asphalt to fix the 2 track that my driveway has become.

First 2 loads were fine. Load 3 was over 7 tons. GCW just a hair over 26,000 pounds. Truck pulled it better than expected considering I was over the GCW rating of the truck by 6-7000 pounds, trailer was over 4000 GVW. There was a new guy in the loader that doesn't know his hand signals and thought a closed fist meant to empty the bucket.

Just had to hand shovel a couple wheel barrow loads from the front of the trailer to the back and she dumped beautifully.

Back