Scrounging just got serious

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Building a dump trailer is out of my league.

I did build a nice 5x12 flat bed to pull behind a Colorado I used to have. I had chronicled a build thread here but I think it got lost when the site got hacked.

Ive built several other trailers as well... I do enjoy building them and may build another, larger hauler when time permits.

That wasn't a dump trailer just the tongue of an equipment hauler, the new design I was tasked with after the boss had to crawl under the chain box to pick up the drop leg in a puddle. I had already suggested the jack should be up front so the leg could be reached, I put it back far enough so the truck tailgate would still drop with ease. It had a 2 5/16" coupler when it left the lunette was just what we used to shuttle them around.

20140323_183908-jpg.374633

Yes it is. Here is the trailer too. I've picked stuff I probably shouldn't have with it. 12" plus trees with a stump bucket will work it out good.

SWI Don,

Do you have a special loading technique? That is an awfully high trailer to get a 12k# machine into. I have loaded my 13k# 287B into both my dump trailer and gooseneck and absolutely hate both. It's too steep, the trailer doesn't have enough support in the back, and is impossible in the snow/ice. Ill stick with a bumper pull equipment trailer. I see why some guys like goosenecks but I hate maneuvering it in and out of jobsites. I like bumper pulls much, much better.

SWI Don,

Do you have a special loading technique? That is an awfully high trailer to get a 12k# machine into. I have loaded my 13k# 287B into both my dump trailer and gooseneck and absolutely hate both. It's too steep, the trailer doesn't have enough support in the back, and is impossible in the snow/ice. Ill stick with a bumper pull equipment trailer. I see why some guys like goosenecks but I hate maneuvering it in and out of jobsites. I like bumper pulls much, much better.

I don't want to load it in the snow. Not with a steel bed. It's bad enough when it's wet and the tracks are a little muddy. When you just about hit the breakover point on the tracks the bed will tip up and line up with the ramp angle. You creep ahead and the bed goes down. If you forget to latch the gooseneck on the ball the gooseneck goes up too. D##@it! It was unnerving the first time but it is what it is. It would be the same problem if I had gotten a bumper hitch. The trailer really could use some kick stands to support the rear of the trailer. When my brother used to have a tree buisness they used a 24' deck over dump trailer with 5' sides to move a lot of trees and the Cat CTL's they ran at the time. That trailer didn't raise the bed when loading but it was a much heavier trailer. It took an F550 to handle it worth a darn.

The deck over is because the C185 will not fit in a low bed dump trailer or for that matter any trailer with fenders above the bed. It's 84" wide. Big Tex called out their low bed dump trailers at 85" but when I called the dealer he wasn't sure it was clear at that dimension and I didn't feel like wedging my skidsteer into the bed.

I'd like to have a deck over gooseneck flat bed trailer but money and space are not going to allow that for a while. I can borrow a friends if I really need one.

From the first picture it looks like a ledgend dump trailer. Happy with my ledgend. Did custom order it. Happy I got it with extra large dump ram. It can dump some big loads. Switching jack to hydraulic over electric. Much fast hookup.

Thought about deck over with drop down sides and low profile dump trailer too.

Would love to have a galvanized dump trailer for winter. But they are ugly.

OK.... So at Menards today and a passerby offered me a sum of money I'm finding it hard to say no to for the trailer.

Ive used the hell out of it and here is what Ive been thinking over the past few months anyway.... Having the ability to bring stuff home and dump it is handy..... But I still have to handle whatever it is Ive dumped. Which usually consists of firewood in one form or another. So there is no benefit to having the ability to dump.

Get into soils or gravel, and sure, thats where this shines. But the quantity of material I can haul compared to the wear on the truck hauling it.... I think I would be farther ahead paying for trucking and getting a quantity of material delivered in 1 or 2 loads versus the 20 it would take me to haul it.

Couple that with I cant stand looking at the sub standard quality that went into this trailer and I wont shed a tear to see it go.

What I'm thinking is letting it go, buying a 20' equipment trailer and putting the difference back into my pocket. The equipment trailer I feel would be a better fit and would allow me to put my tractor into it with something attached and not need to hang the FEL over the front.

Thoughts, ideas?

My only regret with my dump trailer is it's only 62 inches wide, so the widest mower I can get into it is 54". Now, mine, is really well made, heavy duty, brakes, 5' drive on ramp, diamond plate fenders and steps all around. I would like a bigger flat trailer, but I wouldn't let my dump go, Joe.

The only hangup I have about letting it go is its damn handy. I just loaded it up with split wood for a coworker, he came and grabbed it, took it to his house, dumped it and brought it back in the same night.

But in regards to the quality.... The most recent 2 items are....

2 of the three hinges for the lid on the tool box broke away from their welds. I had to put 2 bolts into each one to make the lid functional again...

Today I gave the wheel bearings some love with new grease... Ive always noticed a hop in the trailer between 40 and 50mph, figured it was just an out of balance tire or goofy tire at worst..... Nope. All four wheels are out of round enough I can see it when I spin the wheels by hand.

Ever have one of those purchases you just regret every time you look at what you bought knowing you could have made a different decision.... But got swayed by the salesman..... I even sent Griffin a long winded note about me being a dissatisfied customer..... I wasn't mean or nasty... Just documented my experience with their trailer. Not a word in response.

Sell the piece of crap, and wait patiently for the right one as well ask a million questions. Then but one that is slightly used warranties are useless on stuff like this.
If you let me know the specifics if what you want I'll help you as much as I can.
I enjoy helping friends as well, but they need to understand the cost involved in helping. I did an ash removal job for a good friend(think it was last summer). He didn't realize what I had done, but once he had he handed me a bunch of cash and thanked me. Just saying I use my equipment to serve many people, but it's good for them to at least chip in a bit.
I sure could have used that dump trailer the last couple weeks friend :).

It's sitting here if you want to borrow it.

I may have fallen for "the grass is greener" mentality. I'll let it settle in and not make a rash decision.

Guy offered me $5000.

Sent from a field

Thanks a lot for the offer, you know I'd do the same.
Knowing it's there I may have to take you up on it sometime. I'll need to pick up a few jobs out your way to make it worth while :).

OK.... So at Menards today and a passerby offered me a sum of money I'm finding it hard to say no to for the trailer.

Ive used the hell out of it and here is what Ive been thinking over the past few months anyway.... Having the ability to bring stuff home and dump it is handy..... But I still have to handle whatever it is Ive dumped. Which usually consists of firewood in one form or another. So there is no benefit to having the ability to dump.

Get into soils or gravel, and sure, thats where this shines. But the quantity of material I can haul compared to the wear on the truck hauling it.... I think I would be farther ahead paying for trucking and getting a quantity of material delivered in 1 or 2 loads versus the 20 it would take me to haul it.

Couple that with I cant stand looking at the sub standard quality that went into this trailer and I wont shed a tear to see it go.

What I'm thinking is letting it go, buying a 20' equipment trailer and putting the difference back into my pocket. The equipment trailer I feel would be a better fit and would allow me to put my tractor into it with something attached and not need to hang the FEL over the front.

Thoughts, ideas?

i have a 16ft Equpiment trailer i put my tractor on it's a AGCO ST22A, I can have the rotor tiller on the machine, and then chipper loaded up first on the trailer you could get away with a nice 18ft. if your not happy with the dump, and quality get rid of it while you still can get money out of it, and then if you have your equipment trailer, you could buy a 5 ton 6x10 down the road later and still have something for firewood and your odd jobs.

My setup right now that want is a 18 ft Equipment trailer, and a 6x10, or 12 dump something you can haul one cord of wood in.

Back