SE Louisiana Cypress

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireaxman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Had a really nice climb in a 95 foot bald cypress last week. 4.7 feet dbh below the codominant stems. The story is that this tree was harvested for timber to build the town too many years ago for anyone to remember, but the growing conditions were so good it re-sprouted from the stump. Hence the codominant stems.

Hey Fireaxman, is that a Treemotion saddle? If so how do you like it. I've been looking one over at my local Vermeer dealer but it has a hefty price tag. Looks like you could infinitely customize one to your liking.

Looks like a fun climb BTW.

Hey Fireaxman, is that a Treemotion saddle? If so how do you like it. I've been looking one over at my local Vermeer dealer but it has a hefty price tag. Looks like you could infinitely customize one to your liking.

Looks like a fun climb BTW.

Wish I had the bucks for a Treemotion, or wish I had a freind that had a Treemotion so I could try it, but that is the only climbing freind i have and he is in a New Tribe. He likes it very well, and they are highly recomended by a lot of folks, but it puts a little too much pressure on the groin for my climbing style. Probably I just dont know (or have not taken the time) to adjust it properly.

I'm behind the camera in this series, but I use a Buckingham Traverse or a Komet Dragonfly.

I have a small New Tribe that gets a good work out with children. Moss recomended it to me, and it was (is) an excellent choice. Light. Cool. Safe. Good range of motion. I 'jess likes to sit, and the battens fit my butt better.

Last edited:
Moss - I climbed this tree and posted a picture a year or so ago. There is a memorial in the top of it to a freind who died last year. He said he wanted a memorial in it before he died, so he could be the first in town to see the sunrise every morning. We were back in it last week for recreation, but also to repair the memorial after hurricanes Gustav and Ike, and a freak snow storm. I think you mentioned last year it would be a fun tree for a traverse between the codominant stems. Yeah, it is.

Moss - I climbed this tree and posted a picture a year or so ago. There is a memorial in the top of it to a freind who died last year. He said he wanted a memorial in it before he died, so he could be the first in town to see the sunrise every morning. We were back in it last week for recreation, but also to repair the memorial after hurricanes Gustav and Ike, and a freak snow storm. I think you mentioned last year it would be a fun tree for a traverse between the codominant stems. Yeah, it is.

I remember now. Sorry to hear about your friend, great way commemorate him.

You might get a little less crunch from the NT legstraps if you let out the back retaining straps a little. When you're standing on the ground off rope the bottom of the leg pad should be at or just above the back of your knee. Maybe that will help.
-moss

Latest posts

Back