Searching for info on bolting the bar to mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Am wanting to bolt the bar directly to the mill eliminating the calmps but am unable to find picture/descriptions on exactly 'how to' some pics are not there.

I was thinking of two ways:

1. Cut off the height adjustment/measure square hollow section (SHS), drill through the top clamp plate and weld a bolt on the inside of the cut off SHS & re-weld (tig)

2. Only drill through the top clamping plate into the measuring SHS and drop an elongated nut down into it...only thing the nut can do is move up and down but not spin if it is the correct size.

cut and shut on the mill is not appealing due to possible breakage or fracturing onsite, sometimes modifying something can lead to other problems which I am trying to avoid.

Cut off the clamps and replace (weld) with a short section of solid bar but only 2/3rds or so of the bar / nose width.
Drill and tap a hole into the middle of the bottom of the solid section.
Drill holes in bar/nose and attach bar with bolts

Cut off the clamps and replace (weld) with a short section of solid bar but only 2/3rds or so of the bar / nose width.
Drill and tap a hole into the middle of the bottom of the solid section.
Drill holes in bar/nose and attach bar with bolts

Thanks BobL, much more simple to what I had in mind

any suggestions on what to do about the skids ?

I have previously seen a photo of what you have on your mill with wheels but it appears to be custom made. I have the Alaskan

You can put skids on the short piece of solid bar, or a wheel on the same bolt as the bolt that goes thru the bar onto the mill a bit like this (ignore the clamps and skids)
Wheel.jpg

On my bolt on bar on the 441/25" I have a longer solid bar cross pies and wheels like this.

Wheels can be located below the bar like this
Bottomlong.jpg

Or the wheels can be reversed so as to be above the bar like this
top.jpg

Here you can see the steel pad the bar sits on.
The wheels also stop the B&C from sitting on the dirt when the mill is put down on the ground.
compwheels.jpg

Thanks BobL,
that has shed some light. Went to the Engineering shop today and explained what I would like done and requested a quote. Didn't stay there long after the 3 zero figures were mentioned. Will have a go at it my self but would have preferred to have the job tig welded, last people although they did their best blew part of the clamp nuts with the mig when welding them on. I have some wheels here from a roller blade and think they will work well.

raining here so I got time to make a start on modifying the mill.

Am thinking of placing the wheels on the mill in this position but am wondering if exhaust heat will destroy them.

DSC_0063.JPG DSC_0064.JPG DSC_0065.JPG

Possibly placing a heat shield where the red line is marked covering both upper and lower wheels. Also considering the chain break will be used, keeping the shield way from the locking zone & probably the shield would be aluminum.

Anybody have thoughts on possible heat problems with this setup?

Yep the heat will do that, you'll just have to get used to replacing them. I've replaced that wheel twice and the one below it once.

Bob do you think a bearing might be a better long term choice? or do the square edges interfere with guiding the mill ??

Back