Secondary Milling for small shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaxyakalagalis

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm waiting for help to move my 16' x 24" fir log into my shed because it's getting awfully hot up here for April, so I moved onto my cedar for my 8x8 garden shed. Using my Granberg MkIII / Stihl 088 / hard work I turned a 8' cedar log 24" in diameter into 32 2x4's and a 3" slab for my cousin to carve for a bentwood box lid. The first 10 went with my father to make a new box for rendering eulachon (oolichan) oil, but the rest are mine. also in the truck are 6 fir 2x4's from the original 17' log.

Is it ok to use 2x4 for subfloor? or should i mill up some 2x6"
In the truck...

20150419_164528.jpg

On the porch, 2x4 cedar (some fir), 2x6 fir, 4x4 fir
20150420_080020.jpg

I've still got a problem where my ends slope down because the mill wants to tilt forward when I get to the end. Even with the cross support dead center. But I'm getting better at controlling it.

2x4s for floor joists you mean? Subfloor would be plywood over the joists. Go 2x6's atleast

The shed I built I used 2x8s 12" o.c. , everyother doubled (so a 4x8 basically) and 4ft span, wirh 2 layers of 3/4" ply (all pressure treated).

I have 2x4s 12" oc in my chicken coop and the floor is pretty mushy.

Yes, joists, thank you, I've got a lot to learn before I build my house. ok I'll make some 2x6's. I'm gonna use 1x10 cedar boards for the floor and the walls because it's gonna be about $46/sheet for 3/4 ply and $36 for 1/2!!!

So about $400 for plywood just to skin a shed! I need the milling practice anyway! Hopefully i'll have these done soon, it's getting hot and i need to get the rebuild done on my milling shed as well.

Thank You guys! I'll keep up this post and the other when i get more work done.

I'm feeling like I might have over engineered my floor seeing the responses.....I went 4x9 White Oak!

No matter, it's fun building with timbers you make!

Scott (heavy is awesome) B

Latest posts

Back