Seeking advice on a damaged pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vientito

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This jack pine was damaged since the fall of 2016 from a severe storm. This is the tallest jack pine in that area where my friend's cabin is located, about 60 to 70 feet high. It never falls down on its own for a straight 8 to 9 months period. On a windy day we could hear creaking sound from its sway. Thankfully the hinge is diametrically facing away from our cabin so even if it gets knocked down it will not drop on our roof. It is a hazard in the long run. The split starts at a height of seven feet and continues upward for about another six feet. It is roughly in the centre of the girth. I consider this very dangerous to approach with a direct cut. Would it be feasible to wrap a few rounds of chain around the crack though? Or, try to pull it down by brute force via a cable attached to a winch or back of a truck at a distance? Does it need to be cut down at all? Just some way to make sure it won't break and fall at an inopportune moment. I am looking for advice to deal with this damaged pine.

Attachments

• dc-jpg_20.png
    dc-jpg_20.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 39
  • dc-jpg_20-2.png
    dc-jpg_20-2.png
    17 KB · Views: 36
  • dc-jpg_20-3.png
    dc-jpg_20-3.png
    17 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1181.JPG
    IMG_1181.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1182.JPG
    IMG_1182.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1180.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
This should probably go in the homeowner help forum.

anyway... cut it down, if its living now its severely damaged and will be starting to rot soon, therefore its a ticking time bomb.

I strongly suggest you hire a pro on this one.

if yer not going to though... and as you say its leaning away from the building, then binding the bottom bit may make it safer but I doubt it, hanging a line up in it is asking for trouble. As sketchy as it seems just dumping it is the next safest thing an average homeowner should do, simple face cuts and fall it, fall it with the lean if you can so you don't have to beat wedges in an already crippled tree.

Like I said hire a pro

no really hire a pro... they have better insurance.

Like northman said hire a pro. Dying isn't much of a livin. Not a diy job too many ways that can spell disaster not worth the measly 200 dollars or whatever is charged. I think those jacks have habits of dropping those slabs on the cutter!

Back