Seeking advice regarding thinning chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
juhjq.jpg

Sometimes the word "Thinning" means 'pre-commercial' size. I fall trees all day long but rarely much above 10" dbh, though sometimes. I also do this in the mountains at times, or at other times in heavy slash on post-harvest sites, which can be a rather athletic task to walk on all day. So Power:Weight ratio is important to me and I use a 50cc saw for "Thinning" (550XP currently). I keep a 60cc saw as a back-up and for when one of my friends inevitably needs a bigger piece of wood cut, and sometimes when I can stay near the truck I will run the 60cc (562XP currently) for a tank or two, though a 60cc class saw looks a little stilly with a 16" bar on it. But I don't want to tote around any more weight than necessary. The last few days has been in one of the more annoying snow conditions - 1" of fresh clean powder and temps in the low 20s at best since it fell, making the ground feel like it is covered in graphite dust. Not fun on a slope.

*UPDATE*

It's just shy of a year since I started this adventure with the 562 XP. I thought I would check in and give an update as I always appreciate this on threads that I read like this.

I have to say that I'm still very pleased with the saw. I have been putting in about 25 hours a month. I took the advice of a longer bar and I bought a Tsumura 28" bar for it and run full skip chain.
Observations:
  • Tsumura bar set up is great! The longer bar has saved my back and is safer to use in my estimation. I picked up the 55 with a 20" bar the other day (back up saw) and was reminded how much I have to bend over with the shorter bar. I also find myself getting closer to my body with the bar tip as it swings in closer than the 28" bar. Saw has no trouble pulling through the 12-18" average D.F. logs I work with. I have thought about a longer bar but have decided to stay in the manufacturer recommendations on bar length for now. I like the bar so much that I got another one! Thanks to member "thechainsawguy" for the great service. Easy to work with and quick turn around given the border crossing from B.C. to Oregon, USA.
  • Autotune has been nice. It seems to do well for the conditions and also appears to adjust for changes in air filter during work. Wife says I smell less like fuel mix at the end of the day too.
  • I have had issues with bolts coming loose or shearing on the saw. The saw has great anti-vibe but I've had one shear on the pull cord cover and had to drill and remove to replace, and another with the same issue on the muffler. I had two muffler bolts work out and needed to replace them.
  • Just yesterday was my first real repair of the saw as the sprocket came apart. Still has an inner circle but the outside of the circle came apart on about 1/3 of circumference.
  • No hot start issue as was noted by other folks mentioned with first generation. I go light on startup procedure (don't pump the primer bulb, etc.) when over 85 degrees and all goes well.
Over all I would say this is a great saw and bar combo and I'm happy. With it in the shop this week I find myself looking for another backup saw and find myself thinking another 562XP would be just what I need. :)
20170401_185805.jpg 20170206_201145-2.jpg
Happy Holidays 2017 everyone!

Since the wood mentioned is mainly fir trees I would not worry one second about a 50cc saw. What I am suprised about is that you are not using your Rancher 55. It would be an ideal tool for your requirements. Personally I would simply replace the carb membranes and run it with a sharp chain and a max. 18 inch bar.

If it needs to be a new 50-60cc saw I would consider the Husqvarna 545/555/550/562 or the Jonsered(we have a great dealer here) aquivalent, Dolmar 5105, Echo 590 (just a little muffler mod to run great, by far the best buy out there at the moment!), Stihl 271/291/261 or Hitachi CS51EAP.

Have to agree with 7S's first paragraph & any of the saws quoted in the second will get the job done Sharp chain is the item that will make your job satisfying & not a chore

*UPDATE*

It's just shy of a year since I started this adventure with the 562 XP. I thought I would check in and give an update as I always appreciate this on threads that I read like this.

I have to say that I'm still very pleased with the saw. I have been putting in about 25 hours a month. I took the advice of a longer bar and I bought a Tsumura 28" bar for it and run full skip chain.
Observations:
  • Tsumura bar set up is great! The longer bar has saved my back and is safer to use in my estimation. I picked up the 55 with a 20" bar the other day (back up saw) and was reminded how much I have to bend over with the shorter bar. I also find myself getting closer to my body with the bar tip as it swings in closer than the 28" bar. Saw has no trouble pulling through the 12-18" average D.F. logs I work with. I have thought about a longer bar but have decided to stay in the manufacturer recommendations on bar length for now. I like the bar so much that I got another one! Thanks to member "thechainsawguy" for the great service. Easy to work with and quick turn around given the border crossing from B.C. to Oregon, USA.
  • Autotune has been nice. It seems to do well for the conditions and also appears to adjust for changes in air filter during work. Wife says I smell less like fuel mix at the end of the day too.
  • I have had issues with bolts coming loose or shearing on the saw. The saw has great anti-vibe but I've had one shear on the pull cord cover and had to drill and remove to replace, and another with the same issue on the muffler. I had two muffler bolts work out and needed to replace them.
  • Just yesterday was my first real repair of the saw as the sprocket came apart. Still has an inner circle but the outside of the circle came apart on about 1/3 of circumference.
  • No hot start issue as was noted by other folks mentioned with first generation. I go light on startup procedure (don't pump the primer bulb, etc.) when over 85 degrees and all goes well.
Over all I would say this is a great saw and bar combo and I'm happy. With it in the shop this week I find myself looking for another backup saw and find myself thinking another 562XP would be just what I need. :)
View attachment 612419 View attachment 612420
Happy Holidays 2017 everyone!
Could I ask why you are running a skip chain? if you're mainly soft wood cutting I would have thought a full chisel would have performed better

*UPDATE*
So reasons 1 and 2 why I don't run Husqvarna, #3 being the handle angle and control layout is goofy to me.

Could I ask why you are running a skip chain? if you're mainly soft wood cutting I would have thought a full chisel would have performed better

Some folks don't have access to square grinders or files. Most shops out here only grind round and blink a lot and glance side to side when you ask for square grind stuff.

So reasons 1 and 2 why I don't run Husqvarna, #3 being the handle angle and control layout is goofy to me.

Some folks don't have access to square grinders or files. Most shops out here only grind round and blink a lot and glance side to side when you ask for square grind stuff.

Same Here.
06eba41ea2957e142d9e6f4c1025e895.jpg

When I first was employed on servicing saws for the logging company I work for they used Stihl saws we had backing out /coming loose & sheared fastenings The boss man got a better deal with using Husky we have backing out/ coming loose & shearing fasteners my take is you pays your money & takes your pick Bit like the Ford/GM feud The saw Iv'e used for the longest period of time without fasteners committing suicide is an Alpina Prof 070S.

Thanks. Got it down fine and dandy. Been a couple years since I was in the spurs. Funny how the body remembers how to do its thing. Without a lot of input from the brain. Kinda maxed out my right knee a couple times. One of the coldest climbing jobs I've done. Wind chill was between 15 and 20 below F . old white spruce that grew out in the open are a real so and so to limb when climbing them. Kinda like a red cedar only the limbs stick together like Velcro.

Sorry for the derail OP.

2019 Update on 562XP

Saw ran well, as mentioned above, until April of this year. At that time the piston failed. I was going to rebuild it but then I got sidetracked by the 572XP. I was all ready to go that route and get back into the woods but then I tested them side by side. Both were great but the rev-boost really makes a difference to me with all the limbing I do. So, I bought another 562XP. So far I'm happy that I got another one as it does good work for me.

Here is a picture of the piston.

Funny story; I always tell my friends that I will come over and help cut wood but I never lend out a saw. I had a friend who was cutting wood with me. I really wanted him to try out the 562 as he was thinking of buying a new saw. He reminded me of the motto I have about letting others borrow saws but in the end, ran my 562 through some logs. He was doing fine and then... PING! The saw stopped and froze up. I told him no big deal and we switched saws and finished the days work. When I got back to the shop this is what I found. My buddy will never trust me again in the future when I say it's ok to borrow my saw. :)

20190504_164000.jpg .

Latest posts

Back