Selling Black Walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, newbie here! I tried to keep up with all of the shop talk, but I am afraid I have some questions.

I have a black walnut in my front yard that is at least 57 years old. I live in my grandparents house and I know over the years that many people have stopped along the way and offered my grandparents money for the tree.

Well, now that I am living here and interested in selling the tree (to pay for work on the house), of course no one has stopped by.

What I would like to know is how I go about finding out how to sell the tree. It has a very large base, I can't even come close to wrapping my arms around it. It is decently tall. It has been "dead" for some years now, but the wood under the bark seems to be strong and in good shape.

I can post pictures if that would help anyone.

Anyways, I appreciate any guidance or advise you all might have.

Thank you! Jennifer

I have been told that the wood is still good to use. Is this not true?

And I also think I was being very polite in my post, not sure why you felt the need to respond snidely.

I have been told that the wood is still good to use. Is this not true?

And I also think I was being very polite in my post, not sure why you felt the need to respond snidely.

Sorry you find the truth to be snide, you obviously have a preconceived notion about your dead tree.

Who told you it is still worth something? A mill isn't going to pay for the removal of a dead tree. What killed the tree? Was it killed by bugs or invaded by boring species after it was killed? Is there rot inside that can't be seen. Has the valuable wood been stained by growth of fungus and bacteria?

In my professional experince I doubt the wood would be of any interest except to a small time hobbyist or a firewood guy and maybe not even then.

It was killed by ivy. There does not seem to be any bug infestations. After I pulled all of the ivy off of it, the wood under the bark looks to be in really good condition, it is not soft and you can't dent it like you would be able to if there was rot.

Yes a dead tree may still be able to produce some beautifal lumber but the hobbyist etc. doesn't have a deep a pocket book as a mill etc.

For one you are going to have to more than likely pay to have the tree removed...

Two...you will more than likely not get out of it what you paid to have it removed.

Three...If it has been dead for many years than a mill will not want to buy it even for a sawlog.

Most Walnut lumber is steamed after cut to blend the heartwood with the sapwood as most end users do not want the sapwood. If the lumber is not fresh than it will not take to the steaming process.

In my opinion I would have the tree removed if you want it out of there that bad and find a small mill owner to mill it for you and than have something nice built out of the lumber that you can show off in your home.

It was killed by ivy. There does not seem to be any bug infestations. After I pulled all of the ivy off of it, the wood under the bark looks to be in really good condition, it is not soft and you can't dent it like you would be able to if there was rot.

Jennifur, these guys are more than likely correct about the value of your tree but what the heck - post a photo. You never know, it may be a jewel but keep in mind, you never know till you cut it down and see inside.

I had passed a large walnut on my way to work for the last 15 years - probably 30" diameter and very healthy looking. The owner had cut down several trees near it and I thought they must be saving that one. As I drove by the other day I cringed - it was being taken down and cut into firewood. I was outraged until I got a closer look - full of blue/black stain from metal, probably a fence it grew around over the years. Before it was cut, I had considered offering money for the tree if they ever took it down. I'm glad I waited.

Company in England buying Walnut trees

sell_walnut_tree_T&G.jpg

As a rule of thumb, walnut trees growing in the south of England grow at the rate of 1” in girth per annum. T&G insist on a minimum girth of 80” (203cm) which correlates to an age of about 80 years. Trees which are heavily forked from the ground are of no use, but clean straight butt lengths of 6’ (183cm) will achieve good prices – although the company is always looking for bigger specimens.

walnut.jpg

www.minster-in-thanet.org.uk

walnut%20tree.jpg

A large black walnut street tree

The General Andrew Jackson Black Walnut Tree :
walnuttree_1.jpg

looking for some info

I live in central WA. State and just over 15 years ago planted 4 acres of black walnut trees... they have been well pruned... not yard trees... some of the larger trees are between 10 and 12" diameter can anyone tell me what they are worth and how big in diameter they need to be to be sold as veneer... I have been scouring the internet trying to find a straight answer... but the info I get is sketchy at best,.... spose it might help if I knew how to properly read market charts but I am kind of new to this... any info would be helpful

Maybe others will have a different answer, but those trees are just too small to have a commercial value. 12 inch diameter at the base means that the log, at its biggest point is about 9 inches of heartwood. biggest board you'd get out of it is a 1" X 6", if that. If you shave it with a veneer lathe, the spur would get in the way at about 4", just not worth the trouble, let'em grow.

I meant that they were 10 to 12" at 4 1/2' off the ground... I guess they are still pretty small... from what I hear the grow in girth by around 1'' per year tho... hopefully within 5 more years we'll be able to make somethin from em... in the mean time we have about 10 years of nuts to pick up and sell:biggrinbounce2: they just grow so friggin slow.

I meant that they were 10 to 12" at 4 1/2' off the ground... I guess they are still pretty small... from what I hear the grow in girth by around 1'' per year tho... hopefully within 5 more years we'll be able to make somethin from em... in the mean time we have about 10 years of nuts to pick up and sell:biggrinbounce2: they just grow so friggin slow.

Don't forget - the sapwood grows and increases in thickness with the diameter of the tree.
18"-20" dbh could have 3" sapwood reducing the dia. by 6" total. I think if they're kiln dried, some of the sapwood will darken. I'd let em go till at least 20" and cut a couple to gauge it. The picture posted by hotsoapyshower shows an 80" girth - about 25" dia.

Enjoy them - they are beautiful trees.

Back