Setting up practice logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTM

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
IMG_1749.JPG IMG_1752.JPG IMG_1753.JPG IMG_1755.JPG Was going to mill first time on some practice logs but sprocket E clip decided to fly away. So here is my first setup to practice on before I jump on a really nice cedar. My neighbor had a cedar so I went over there. The four legged bovine critters weren't much help. I'm lazy so instead of going back for the tractor I man handled the logs in the back of my truck, stood on end, walked it over, put on edge of bed, squat, lift, push. Sometimes bed liners are an advantage. See that long handle off the butt of the log? That's a hookaroon. Best damned tool for handling wood. Slid the logs off the back and drove forward. Anyway, what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_1755.JPG
    IMG_1755.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1753.JPG
    IMG_1753.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1751.JPG
    IMG_1751.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1749.JPG
    IMG_1749.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
View attachment 554547 View attachment 554548 View attachment 554549 View attachment 554550 Was going to mill first time on some practice logs but sprocket E clip decided to fly away. So here is my first setup to practice on before I jump on a really nice cedar. My neighbor had a cedar so I went over there. The four legged bovine critters weren't much help. I'm lazy so instead of going back for the tractor I man handled the logs in the back of my truck, stood on end, walked it over, put on edge of bed, squat, lift, push. Sometimes bed liners are an advantage. See that long handle off the butt of the log? That's a hookaroon. Best damned tool for handling wood. Slid the logs off the back and drove forward. Anyway, what do you think?
The hill is a good assist for milling. I've got some 16-18" red cedar myself that I need a similar down hill to help move the cutters thru the log. I'm older so energetic motion has been replaced by patiently out smarting inanimate objects. Mill safe 1st by paying attention. Enjoy

IMG_1765.JPG IMG_1767.JPG Ok, milled my first log today and did the first cut on the second log. I'm wore out. Will finish the second log tomorrow. Sent the pics to my kids and have started a war on who gets what.

Back