Setup for Eager Beaver 3.7 (aka pm 610)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gil Wirt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
'Have new/old(ebay buy) Eager Beaver 3.7(pro mac 610); would like to know if any mcculloch 14" bar chain setup will work on this powerhead(one was listed some time ago on ebay w/ a 14" bar chain), or if the sprocket won't allow that small setup ??
Also, if above scenario is not easy enough(Oregon site says 16" is smallest bar that unit will take)...least expensive setup w/ standard 16" bar/chain(60 DL) ?? (new or used if avail for $30 total or under)
[best deal I'm finding is $40 total for above-cited setup]

thanks in advance, Gil

3.7 appears to be the common Mac bar pattern of Oregon D176 so any bar of that pattern would fit on there (this is also the pattern for many newer Echo saws so there are plenty of bars available). There is no reason it cannot run a 14 with the right bar pattern.

For the second part I would look on Ebay to find D176 bar and/or bar chain combo. Should be reasonably priced.

Searched with that term(thanks for response, btw): "D176 bar chain"; this is the result:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=d176+bar+chain&_sop=15
no 14" setups, and no inexpensive combos;
one listing for a bar ref'd on oregon site as 16"/correct fitment, also names a lot of saws as taking same bar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MCCULLOCH-C...816684?hash=item360073b3ec:g:jLAAAOSwSclXLOPz

I guess I can look for 14" listings for all the saws(and this listing cited D176 pattern, too)...or just browse for "bar/chain" lists for them...ugh

oh well...takes time to save a few bucks(and I need every cent, I'm no that strict a budget)

-thanks again, Gil Wirt

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/oregon-16-in-bar-chain-set-27851/0000000020157

I didn't see anything in 14" but I see no real advantage for going to that size from 16" for that saw.
Hope it works out for you.

I have a belief(though I'm relatively new to cutting, I have 10-ish work saws and heat/cook with wood in winter) that small bars/chains w/ big powerheads maximize the engine's output and minimize number of needed sharpenings...generally make for a more productive setup; I have a bunch of old big bars/chains now without a home or any use to me('tried to sell them as a lot on ebay for a good price, no takers; have added a newish 20" mac bar/chain to the lot...may try to relist them)....
Thanks for the feedback, Gil

I understand the theory, but in an older saw like that I guess you take what you can get. I just bought that same bar/chain combo for my 2-10 from FF.

What bars chains are you looking to sell?

I understand the theory, but in an older saw like that I guess you take what you can get. I just bought that same bar/chain combo for my 2-10 from FF.

What bars chains are you looking to sell?
Re: short setups: I like getting into the work, getting dirty, dealing with sawdust/2-stroke smoke at close proximity---short setups feel more "there"
About the bars, 'not looking to turn a profit; looking to put them into hands that will use them or dole them out to those who will; the bars are:

All are used/vintage, decent/useful shape

---20" Mac bar w/chain that is DL, 3/8, .050
---other Mcculloch Bar is 24"
---Stihl Bar is 20"
---last bar is for an unknown Homelite, but was on a Husqvarna 142 (acquired on ebay); bar is 15-16"(and modded slightly["damaged by p.o.") and the chain is 54DL, 3/8 and either .043 or .050(unknown)

I figure I'll need 50-60$ to ship em and cover gas-time to do the job.

Gil Wirt

(I bought a nos windsor roll-tip, will use one of the 60dl blades I have w/ that)
note re bars I have(could not find how to edit prev' post):
the chain w/ 20" Mac bar is, I believe, 70dl[I'd have to double check to be sure]
-GW

Latest posts

Back