Sherrill rec climbing catalog

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moss

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Many of you seen Sherrill's inaugural issue of their rec climbing catalog? Just got mine in the mail yesterday. It's definitely a bold step by Sherrill into the rec climbing market. I had mixed feelings looking at it but have to admit I read it cover to cover in about ten minutes which tells you something. The layout and design is excellent and they've done a good job mixing in commentary and useful information into the product display. It feels pretty balanced between a respectful approach to the ethical/environmental issues of climbing and selling the thrill aspect of climbing but my fear of the effects of over commercialization of the sport is in the back of my mind. I'm a climbing noobie so my reaction may not be well informed. Maybe some of you veterans have been waiting for awhile for this to start happening. Watcha think?
-moss

I have not seen the new rec catalog yet...hope to get it in the mail soon. I did see Tom Dunlap and Tobe Sherrill looking over the preliminary version of it at ITCC in Nashville...they were like 2 kids in a candy shop.

I have only recently discovered how much good info Sherrill has in their catalogs...they not only sell arborist/climbing goods but also explain how to use them. There is a lot of good knowledge included with the items they sell.

If you have not looked at a Sherrill catalog (hard copy) before, you oughta consider doing so.

I look forward to the rec catalog for what I can learn from it.

When I was at the Tree Climbing Rendezvous in Oregon a couple of weeks ago Tobe had a few copies. I looked through the copy he gave Sophia Sparks from New Tribe. The catalog was a major discusion point. There is a concern that the catalog will generate too much of the wrong kind of interest in rec tree climbing, RTC. It would be unfair to blame the catalog for any bad behavior on the part of rec tree climbers or people who find there way into the trees because of it.

I don't think that there will be a huge explosion of interest in rec tree climbing like there is for rock climbing, mountain biking or other wilderness type rec activities. I sure would like to see more RTC though.

There are discussiions on Tr**buzz and Tree Climbers International about this topic too.

Vermeer Employee

I am an employee of a Vermeer Dealership in Texas and I am just learning to climb myself. Sherrill sent us some of the new rec climbing catalogs and I am very pleased with how they put it together. I am trying to get my children into climbing and I had no idea they had small saddles for them. This rec catalog has quite a few items especially designed for children.
You also can go to the Sherrill website (www.wtsherrill.com) and look at or download both of Sherill's catalogs.
Thanks for having a chatboard devoted to tree climbing. I know I will learn a lot in the future from everyone here!

Daniel Patterson
Vermeer Equipment of Texas, Inc. Irving, TX

Latest posts

Back