ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Shindaiwa 488 EPA Carb Fuel Mixture?

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by dsell, Jan 25, 2013.

1. dsell

dsell ArboristSite Operative

I did some searching and found a user manual for a Shindaiwa 488. It shows 50:1 mix. The high side of the carb is not adjustable. Does someone else run this same saw and if so what mix are you running? I'm working on this one and it's the second time it has came to me with a plugged spark arrestor. I told him the last time he's mixing wrong. He said he's putting a package in 2 1/2 gallons. :bang:

2. jrr344

jrr344 Addicted to ArboristSite

I have never had this problem with my 488's and I am running 50:1 with shindaiwa red armor mix in all my saws regardless of brand.

3. alderman

alderman Addicted to ArboristSite

I'm running 32:1 in my 488'sbut must admit to the occasional plugged screen.

4. DSS

DSS uneducated rif raf and lovin it

I run 40:1 in everything including the 488 with no trouble.

5. Big Dan

Big Dan ArboristSite Operative

I'm also running 40:1 mix with no problems.Swapping in an older carb with adjustable H screw wouldn't be a bad idea,there are several on e-bay right now. Love the 488!
    :msp_thumbsup:

6. dsell

Thanks for the replies. He runs other Shindaiwa tools on the same mix, so I'll have to see if they are adjustable.

7. CTYank

CTYank Have saws, will travel

I'd suspect he's just threatening to RUN it, mainly running it cool & slow.

I'll bet that if he ran it hot & hard (as designed) that screen would stay clean. Ditto port & muffler.

8. dsell

Shindaiwa 300S starting problem

He brought his other saw, it's a 300S Shindaiwa. Compression is 130psi and it runs fine through the 1st tank and then it won't start. I figure it's the coil because he has the lid off to fuel it. So, it's not a vent issue. This model has the 1 piece ignition according to the IPL I found. Part number 411000910 or 20024-71610 obsolete number. It's $50 + shipping and personally, I wouldn't give that for the whole saw. The air filter system is the worst I've ever seen. Anyone else have this starting problem with a 300S? I couldn't find any carb adjustment screws on this saw either. He brought his trimmer manual and it showed 50:1 mix. That's what I told him to go with.