Shop Re-Sharpened Chains vs. Factory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

To be honest it is by tone more than anything.
You can tell when it is loaded.
A drone more than a crisp clean sound.

And for dressing.......you just let the wheel "eat" the dressing stick till the wheel is non reflective....rub it across the wheel.
Hey thanks a lot!!!!

Do you let the wheel spin at full speed when you "dress it"....

Also just out of curiosity, what all grinders donyou have/use.....

Hey thanks a lot!!!!

Do you let the wheel spin at full speed when you "dress it"....

Also just out of curiosity, what all grinders donyou have/use.....
Yup. Flank Speed. As per Norton.
I have a Silvey 600 ......8" CBN wheels
Efco CBN
511 Oregon soon to have CBN......more of an extra, take along for relief work. That work is tough on chains.
Silvey Razor sharp II

Just a thought. To check the profile when you are dressing a wheel.....a single edge razor blade will show shape when cut ....just was it toward the center. I guess folks still do that. This Ol Phart does.

be7d5e05bd42e68a1155547148731813.jpg

This what come with a diamond wheel but found it doesn't work as good as a sonic cleaner
And flip mine every 5-10 chains
And for having to pull them off to do it I sharpen chains from 1/4" to .404 so no biggie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This what come with a diamond wheel but found it doesn't work as good as a sonic cleaner
And for having to pull them off to do it I sharpen chains from 1/4" to .404 so no biggie

I'm saving that for folks. It's pretty good.
Not CBN but diamond wheels I've had for 20+ years that I shape carbide on are still good.

Doing it like they say doesn't get the side of the wheel well.
And if you don't think it gets loaded......make a cut and back off just a bit.....still hear it. That's on the side.
Just rub it across the side. Let it wear the stick away.
It will look like NEW.
And their way wouldn't work on a cup wheel. Lots of wheels only cut on the side.
As to flipping the wheel......check the profile. THE most important variable.
All other variables affect that one.
Length of chain
Amount taken off
Size of chain
How clean it is
All are about one thing......wheel profile.
Single edged razor blade and a lope..........
One bad chain with a loaded wheel is worse than 30 chains that has the wheel clean.
I used to do a lot of grinding and cutting with diamond wheels and diamonds. Very fussy stuff.
Same rules apply.
Listen to the tone and learn what a clean wheel feels like.

Cbn wheel don't cut as fast as the black wheels that come with a USG grinder and take a little while to get use too but even longer to wear out !

I guess CBN would be
Pink burns
Black is fast but coarser
CBN is in the middle but last a long time

Sorry. GrinderSpeak.
The medium is what cuts.
CBN is the medium in a CBN wheel no matter how coarse it is.

What does the cutting in the stihl wheel?

Or is it just a coarser CBN wheel in a black substrate??

CBN can be any size. I have sticks of it(Norbide sticks) to dress and shape wheels. I have seen them used daily to dress wheels and not. E worn down 1/2" in 20 years.

Stihl wheel is even coarser than CBN
I like to use them on rocked out chains that need two or 3 passes and set the angle at 20 degrees and cut the bad off the nose of the cutter then switch to the CBN at 30 degrees for final dressing

Stihl wheel is even coarser than CBN
I like to use them on rocked out chains that need two or 3 passes and set the angle at 20 degrees and cut the bad off the nose of the cutter then switch to the CBN at 30 degrees for final dressing

The CBN is what's cutting. The coarseness is the size of the CBN chunks. Come in all size of chunks.
What are the chunks made of in the stihl wheels you speak of.

Diamond wheel inc.
is what I use
For CBN wheels
Stihl doesn't make a CBN
But makes a diamond wheel for there carbide chains

As I understand it, most of the vitrified wheels for chain grinders use aluminum oxide abrasive, and are dyed to distinguish between different grit sizes. A few use ceramic abrasive. The black resinoid wheels use a different way of bonding the abrasive. http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/resinoid-grinder-wheels.256733/

The CBN wheels use Cubic Boron Nitride as the abrasive. Some descriptions that I have read also mentioned ABN wheels (Amber Boron Nitride), or a mix of ABN and CBN.

I still use the basic 'pink' wheels from Oregon, Total, or Molemab, as these are what are commonly available for the 5-3/4 inch grinders, although Tecomec shows more options:
http://www.tecomec.com/subcategory/chain_saw_accessories_accessories_for_chain_grinders/index.htm

I guess that at some point you need to go by the reputation of the manufacturer and product and get back to grinding.

Philbert

I've not yet flipped mine, probably have 200 loops on it. Whoops.

What kind of wheel is the black stihl wheel you were talking about?

I think Phil nailed it and that is more info on the black wheels that Stihl sells
I didn't find much technical info on them
I did figure out what you are talking about this morning [emoji4]
Too much fishing yesterday and a little drinking

Yup. Flank Speed. As per Norton.
I have a Silvey 600 ......8" CBN wheels
Efco CBN
511 Oregon soon to have CBN......more of an extra, take along for relief work. That work is tough on chains.
Silvey Razor sharp II

Just a thought. To check the profile when you are dressing a wheel.....a single edge razor blade will show shape when cut ....just was it toward the center. I guess folks still do that. This Ol Phart does.
Now you keep saying dressing the CBN wheels, and profiling them.....I don't know what kind of CBN wheel you have, but the kind I have don't ever get "profiled"....now yes, they eventually get clogged and have to be lightly "dressed" to clean out the surface....however, this shouldn't take a lot of material off to where I would call it "profiling"....I am right or wrong here?!?!

Are you saying that the white "dressing stick" that they sent me with my CBN wheel(I bought it from diamond wheel co.), will change the profile of the when I use it to clean/dress my wheel when it gets clogged?????

I am just trying to make since of what you are saying, thanks a lot Kyle!!!!!

Now you keep saying dressing the CBN wheels, and profiling them.....I don't know what kind of CBN wheel you have, but the kind I have don't ever get "profiled"....now yes, they eventually get clogged and have to be lightly "dressed" to clean out the surface....however, this shouldn't take a lot of material off to where I would call it "profiling"....I am right or wrong here?!?!

Are you saying that the white "dressing stick" that they sent me with my CBN wheel(I bought it from diamond wheel co.), will change the profile of the when I use it to clean/dress my wheel when it gets clogged?????

I am just trying to make since of what you are saying, thanks a lot Kyle!!!!!
I am only CHECKING the profile. I dress it more than most. But the profile doesn't change much.

My point was......why flip it all the time if the profile has t changed.

I'm agreeing with you. You are very right. Wear is when the profile has changed. Take care of your wheel and it doesn't change much. Well taken care of and you would need a loop to see a change after 100 chains....and I doubt it even then.

Used wrong and I bet I could ruin a CBN wheel in a single loop.

And no....dressing white stick won't change profile. It keeps the profile from changing from misuse.......

Back