Shop Re-Sharpened Chains vs. Factory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
be7d5e05bd42e68a1155547148731813.jpg

This what come with a diamond wheel but found it doesn't work as good as a sonic cleaner
And flip mine every 5-10 chains
And for having to pull them off to do it I sharpen chains from 1/4" to .404 so no biggie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey when you used that white stick, did the CBN wheel eat into it really fast..... did it remove the material good....

Now this is just a thought, but would it help to hit the wheel with the stick, them flip it and do it agian?????

Hey when you used that white stick, did the CBN wheel eat into it really fast..... did it remove the material good....

Now this is just a thought, but would it help to hit the wheel with the stick, them flip it and do it agian?????
Yup....eats it really fast.
I wouldn't flip it. The other side isn't being used. No need to dress it

Yup. Flank Speed. As per Norton.
I have a Silvey 600 ......8" CBN wheels
Efco CBN
511 Oregon soon to have CBN......more of an extra, take along for relief work. That work is tough on chains.
Silvey Razor sharp II

Just a thought. To check the profile when you are dressing a wheel.....a single edge razor blade will show shape when cut ....just was it toward the center. I guess folks still do that. This Ol Phart does.
Hey how do you like that silvey 600, I would love to get one of those!!!

Do you like the edge you get with the deco and Oregon grinder.....

Also do use/like that RSll....I have never even ran a square chain...I cut hardwood here in Indiana, but I have heard people like square for hardwood....

I just put on a new chain that cuts like crap compared to my sharpener ones, I have some dirty wood to cut, will use it for that so I can sharpen it properly. Rakers are too high for sure. Steve

I just put on a new chain that cuts like crap compared to my sharpener ones, I have some dirty wood to cut, will use it for that so I can sharpen it properly. Rakers are too high for sure. Steve
Yes sir I have ran into that before....do you grind or hand sharpen your chains....

Is a grinder (in the right hands) that much better than a file? I've only ever used a file as I don't have a lot of saws. I get everything sharper than factory with my simple file and cheap Oregon file guide. I'd imagine that it's all about technique and the patience to learn what you are doing.

Is a grinder (in the right hands) that much better than a file? I've only ever used a file as I don't have a lot of saws. I get everything sharper than factory with my simple file and cheap Oregon file guide. I'd imagine that it's all about technique and the patience to learn what you are doing.
Put up some pics of your handiwork!

Yet???

Nah, I don't know anything....... I am just here to piss folks off.......
LMAO.....you seem very angry.....I have seen MANY informative post from you...you post a lot of very good post...but no need to snap at me my friend!!!!

Just curious what your chains look like..... I post pics, to learn...you can never "know it all!!"

You can get superb results with both....you just have to put in the effort to learn....

LMAO.....you seem very angry.....I have seen MANY informative post from you...you post a lot of very good post...but no need to snap at me my friend!!!!

Just curious what your chains look like..... I post pics, to learn...you can never "know it all!!"
Snap????

Angry??

Nah.....

I might take some cutter pics again, there used to be all kinds of great info and pics and videos here...........
All of that great stuff was just thrown out......

Snap????

Angry??

Nah.....

I might take some cutter pics again, there used to be all kinds of great info and pics and videos here...........
All of that great stuff was just thrown out......
10-4, I understand that my friend!!!!

And I will be the first to admit, I am OCD about chains...but I do believe more people should learn about chains...after all they are the best "modification" that can be done to a saw!!!!!

And as much as you post/know about saws, you can help a lot of people get their chains back in shape!!!!!

Its such a fine line on sharpening chains. A grinder can do a bada$$ job if you have a skilled operator. I had a seasoned saw mechanic that did mine for years. He passed away this past year and now the same shop with same grinder couldnt get a chain sharp enough to zip a white pine. My two cents is practice tour round filing. Make sure you have the right file for the job and dont be afraid to put a littlw extra angle on your teeth. Also MAKE SURE YOUR FEELERS ARE FILED!!!

Back