Shops that won't sell synthetic mix oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newforest

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never understand these places. I travel a lot in forestry contracting, and see a lot of shops.

I think it might be as high as 1-in-2 that just simply don't carry Husqy's XP mix oil. If you call them on it, they'll say, oh, you don't really need that, and it's more expensive. This oil here is just fine...

I run Husqy saws, but I use Stihl blades on my brush saws and occasionally end up in Stihl shops due to this problem; Stihl shops seem far more consistent in offering HP Ultra for sale.

I was in such a shop today, and I should have just left when I figured out that they all they carried was generic. Because as it turned out, they listened to absolutely nothing I requested when I dropped off a saw - which was pretty simple - call me when you do the diagnosis, and find out when your next parts order is due in.

I have to wonder if such shops do this deliberately, so their customers wear out their equipment faster?

I think after my latest adventure with such a shop, I will just walk out before I hire them to help me with something with my saws. It seems like a pretty good key indicator of their level of service and expertise.

Brad is correct. The XP oil (Silver bottle) is a blend as opposed to their LS - Low Smoke (Black Bottle) which is a conventional. But you probably already knew that. I have used both as well as the Echo Power Blend which is a Synthetic Blend also. I usually mix one mix for my Echo Weadeater, Echo Pole Saw, and Husqvarna chainsaws. My local shop carries the Husqvarna, Stihl, and the Echo brands since they are a dealer for all three. Their price is the same for all three unless you move to the Stihl HP ULTRA which is a full Synthetic and costs more. They charge $1.59 for the 1-gal mix bottle and $2.25 for the 2-gal mix bottle.

Im thinking about trying some Klots Techniplate in my saw for the hell of it. I didnt burn hardly any in my sled this year so I might as well burn some in the saws.

I run maxima 32/1 in all my 2stroke stuff. However I do/did run some aimsoil dominater @50/1 in my cr250 this past year with no problems. I mixed the aimsoil up 32/1 and it doesn't burn off well enough at that I like it cause it's red though. I think they advertise the aimsoil saying u can run something like 100/1 or something and I agree it's a "heavier" oil and synthetic but I will let y'all try the 100/1 deal as 50/1 makes me a little uneasy.

The amsoil sabre is advertised as being able to run 100:1. they even have pillow packs of it labeled 100:1 to mix with one gallon of gas. i would never run it like that. i prefer 40:1 but the sabre is much thicker/heavier oil..does that make a difference?? also their 100:1 pillow packs are 1.5oz. so if my calculations are correct that makes the pillow pack labeled as 100:1 actually 85:1

The amsoil sabre is advertised as being able to run 100:1. they even have pillow packs of it labeled 100:1 to mix with one gallon of gas. i would never run it like that. i prefer 40:1 but the sabre is much thicker/heavier oil..does that make a difference?? also their 100:1 pillow packs are 1.5oz. so if my calculations are correct that makes the pillow pack labeled as 100:1 actually 85:1
I run it at 40 to 1 so far nothing but good luck.

Back