Shops that won't sell synthetic mix oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The amsoil sabre is advertised as being able to run 100:1. they even have pillow packs of it labeled 100:1 to mix with one gallon of gas. i would never run it like that. i prefer 40:1 but the sabre is much thicker/heavier oil..does that make a difference?? also their 100:1 pillow packs are 1.5oz. so if my calculations are correct that makes the pillow pack labeled as 100:1 actually 85:1

I remember when OMC went from recommending 50:1 mix to 100:1 on outboards that didn't have variable-rate oilers, after a few years they sent out a service bulletin to their dealers that they should be run at 50:1 and any motor that came in for servicing should have the 100:1 sticker removed. As I understood it there were some premature failures but the bigger issue was that they were seeing problems with rusting inside motors that sat idle for a period of time. At 100:1 mix the cranks and connecting rods weren't being coated well enough with oil so they would rust.

I won't risk running anything I care about at 100:1, never mind what Amsoil or Opti-2 or anyone else says or does.

I never understand these places. I travel a lot in forestry contracting, and see a lot of shops.

I think it might be as high as 1-in-2 that just simply don't carry Husqy's XP mix oil. If you call them on it, they'll say, oh, you don't really need that, and it's more expensive. This oil here is just fine...

I run Husqy saws, but I use Stihl blades on my brush saws and occasionally end up in Stihl shops due to this problem; Stihl shops seem far more consistent in offering HP Ultra for sale.

I was in such a shop today, and I should have just left when I figured out that they all they carried was generic. Because as it turned out, they listened to absolutely nothing I requested when I dropped off a saw - which was pretty simple - call me when you do the diagnosis, and find out when your next parts order is due in.

I have to wonder if such shops do this deliberately, so their customers wear out their equipment faster?

I think after my latest adventure with such a shop, I will just walk out before I hire them to help me with something with my saws. It seems like a pretty good key indicator of their level of service and expertise.
That is smart tear up engines cause of cheep oil. Yeah they have some crazy ways to make money. I bet on a general tune up they sell you a spark plug but clean the one you have and install it again

I remember when OMC went from recommending 50:1 mix to 100:1 on outboards that didn't have variable-rate oilers, after a few years they sent out a service bulletin to their dealers that they should be run at 50:1 and any motor that came in for servicing should have the 100:1 sticker removed. As I understood it there were some premature failures but the bigger issue was that they were seeing problems with rusting inside motors that sat idle for a period of time. At 100:1 mix the cranks and connecting rods weren't being coated well enough with oil so they would rust.

I won't risk running anything I care about at 100:1, never mind what Amsoil or Opti-2 or anyone else says or does.
40:1 is the leanest i will go even with the good synthetic oils. Plugs are cheaper than motors

2011-lucas-oil-semi-synthetic-2-cycle-oil-jpg.409069

The amsoil sabre is advertised as being able to run 100:1. they even have pillow packs of it labeled 100:1 to mix with one gallon of gas. i would never run it like that. i prefer 40:1 but the sabre is much thicker/heavier oil..does that make a difference?? also their 100:1 pillow packs are 1.5oz. so if my calculations are correct that makes the pillow pack labeled as 100:1 actually 85:1

1.5 oz would be 75/1 I think. Anyway there's no doubt the aimsoil is " thicker heavier" oil imo and mota in my bike looked just as clean and good as all the others I ran 32/1 maxima in. I'm just not comfortable running so little oil I gues if u never put 4oz to the gallon it wouldn't bother you but I'm not in that generation and I'm not pleased that the dam aimsoil won't burn off at 32/1 cause I like it and I know in my heart it's good stuff but I wanna put more in there but it fouls my plugs when I do.

I use to run polaris pure in my 2 cycle stuff easy starting and didnt wet my plugs but it was hard to get and expensive. Im not a big fan of trying to break a engine inn with the synthetic. But i like it for broke inn engines

One of these days i will get some amsoil 100 to 1 mix and run it in a old weed whip motor wot the whole time till its roached and se what the guts look like. I really have my doubts about 100 to 1 hell a enging would do better with marine axle grease spread on all the bearings

I like rusty cranks and bearings. Kinda gives the Rat Rod look

Im thinking about trying some Klots Techniplate in my saw for the hell of it. I didnt burn hardly any in my sled this year so I might as well burn some in the saws.

Don't
It's a TCWIII oil
Not intended for air cooled engines.
Which techniplate? Some are made for air cooled and some aren't. I've been meaning to call them since they took the original off the website.

One of these days i will get some amsoil 100 to 1 mix and run it in a old weed whip motor wot the whole time till its roached and se what the guts look like. I really have my doubts about 100 to 1 hell a enging would do better with marine axle grease spread on all the bearings

Slather it on thick enough down there it would be like crank stuffers...

Latest posts

Back