Should I buy a professional saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dommm

Reaction score
Hi, from now on i will be cutting about 20 cords (16 inch long) of hard wood for my fire stove. Im felling, limbing, and bucking in the forest, maximum about 15inch diameter . As a homeowner I have a poulan pro 18inch 42cc but its not powerfull and reliable enough. My question is should i go for the pro saw? Im looking for the stihl 291 at 499$ canuck dollar or the or the 261 at 699$. Also should i keep my poulan for limbing or cutting fir at home and when i can risk hitting the ground and rock ?

Thanks !

You'll never regret buying a good pro saw from any of the top manufacturers. I don't have any experience with the smaller stihl saws so I can't comment on that particular saw. I have stihl, echo and husky pro saws and all perform well. Much better power than homeowner saws.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Husky 555 for the price is a great 60cc firewood saw. The new edition 261c wouldn't have any problem doing 20 cords a year, as well. You mentioned 15" diameter just right for these two. Keep the Poulan, it's not worth as much to you to sell is it is to keep if you find yourself in a "pinch."

Nobody ever regrets buying a quality tool. Homeowner saws are cheap for good reasons.

Yup. I've got several dead or dying consumer and prosumer level saws that just ran out of steam. Those have been replaced with new or good-as-new used saws (one of which is twice old as the dead ones.) The pro saws run better for longer. I'm not a professional wood cutter, I just cut timber for my own account, but I cut enough the function and durability matter.

362 isn't as exciting or have as good bang for buck as some of the other options out there but they are smooth and reliable. I'd venture to say I'd take one over a 036 for firewood, better airfilter and spring AV for all day use. A echo 590 is a great saw for the money. Can't really go wrong with any of the pro 60 cc options out there. Pick one you like.

biggest i work with are a husqy 353 and stihl 028wood boss i get everything i want with it biggest whas about 80 cm costs a bit of extra time but i have not enof work for a bigger one

Hi, from now on i will be cutting about 20 cords (16 inch long) of hard wood for my fire stove. Im felling, limbing, and bucking in the forest, maximum about 15inch diameter . As a homeowner I have a poulan pro 18inch 42cc but its not powerfull and reliable enough. My question is should i go for the pro saw? Im looking for the stihl 291 at 499$ canuck dollar or the or the 261 at 699$. Also should i keep my poulan for limbing or cutting fir at home and when i can risk hitting the ground and rock ?

Thanks !
I wood. I also wood look on the Tradin Post to find a way to get a hold of the size saw that wood work for you. I have purchased three saws from the TP with no complaints on my part. If you go there just be sure to deal with someone who's been a member here for awhile for your own peace of mind.
Stay safe

But then big saws is nice when you need a big saw.

a stihl 441 isn't so bad to carry all day, and the 362's are even lighter.

the husky stuff is arguably lighter...

The saw I have the most time on is the Stihl 044/MS440. I can honestly recommend that saw for most everything that isn't pruning roses or falling OG redwoods. I am also very fond of the Husky 562XP and the Dolmar 7900. They all weigh about the same give or take a pound or so and occupy about the same space in a truck. "But those are all so big!!" I hear some voices in the back saying. No, they're not. They are good, dependable, all-purpose machines that will last a long time and just keep on getting the job done. They also all still have new parts available, which is more than I can say for a few of my other favorite saws.

biggest i work with are a husqy 353 and stihl 028wood boss i get everything i want with it biggest whas about 80 cm costs a bit of extra time but i have not enof work for a bigger one

try a saw with better then 70cc,

Ya won't likely go back to the 028's or for that matter any 50-60cc saws for falling ever again. Especially if yer planning on getting any production done.

Latest posts

Back