Should I buy an Echo Bearcat log splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone. If it were not for the feedback in this thread, I would have bought at Echo Bearcat. I just spoke with my dealer (a good friend of mine) and he said that if I don't buy one the two remining units in Ontario are going to be sold off to someone else (no pressure). I told him I don't want them, but I'll buy something else from him in the spring (a weed wacker perhaps).

There are a lot of splitfire fans in here. I'll be on the lookout for a deal on a splitfire somewhere or a Wallenstein.

:popcorn:

I am not seeing how you think you could produce 300-400 cords a year, by yourself...with a conventional splitter.

You could look at a Timberwolf TW-2 which has a 9sec full cycle time. Accepts a large 4 way wedge and prooduction table.

That Echo "thing" looks like a candidate for a scrap run and thats about it.

You will destroy yourself trying to do that much...

You may want to check out Iron and Oak splitters too. I have one with a 4 way and it does great. I usually do about 60-70 cords a year. But if I were doing much more I would go with a 6 way or bigger. Most of my time with wood is spent splitting it so in my opinion the best way to speed up production is to get a splitter that can really crank it out.

One thing I don't like about the splitfire is you have wood piles on both sides of your operation when you are done. The way I process wood, I think one of them would end up being in the way at some point - unless you have a conveyor on each side. But that just may be me.

I am looking to buy a new log splitter to do 300 to 400 full cord per year.

Hi Chainsaw. It's Don again. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how you can process 300 to 400 cords a year faster with just a wood splitter, as opposed to a firewood processor.

As I see it, with just a splitter you have to:
1) cut the tree
2) buck the tree
3) load the rounds
4) unload the rounds someplace
5) load the rounds on the splitter
6) split the rounds

You're gonna be handling the wood a lot (like most of us do).

With a firewood processor, you would
1) cut the trees
2) stage the logs someplace
3) process the logs in to finished splits
This just seems like there would be a lot less handling of the wood as you're eliminating any handling of the rounds. Those of us with splitters have to handle the rounds a couple of times. I have to buck the tree. Carry each round (one by one) back to my truck. Unload my truck and stack the rounds. Then load the rounds on the splitter.

The reason I'm asking is because you said you worked at a place that has a firewood processor, so you know more about them then I do. I was thinking of getting a firewood processor. Either the Hudson Wolverine Model M-10-13 for $7345, or the Twitch-N-Split for $4000. I don't need speed. I just want to eliminate all the wood handling I do. Firewood Processor Wolverine Hud-Son Process Wood - YouTube

Your thoughts and opinion would be much appreciated.

Thanks Chainsaw

Don <><

Last edited:
Genesis5521:

In this year of cutting firewood (300-400 cord), I am calculating I will make $30 000, so I don't want to invest in anything too expensive. The option of a commercial duty saw (a Stihl 66 in my case) with a commercial duty splitter, a loader tractor, and a truck and dump trailer appeals to me. I can make my own hours; I'm right beside my house; I don't waste time driving anywhere or talking to people.

Alright. I'll admit that a GOOD processor used properly alone (certain models) or with a GOOD crew of two people (certain other models) could put out A LOT of wood as long as there are no delays like (1) waiting for logs (2) waiting for an empty truck (3) mechanical difficulties.

The Hudson Wolverine wood processor you showed in your video appears to be a nice one, though I have not used that style. However, imagine placing two operators side by side at 7:00 am on a Monday morning with the following equipment and supplies:

Operator A: 4 cord of wood in 8-12 foot lengths, Stihl 66, Splitfire 9 hp wood splitter
Operator B: 4 cord of wood in 8-12 foot lengths, Stihl 66, Hudson Wolverine wood processor

You would find the following:

Operator A should have his logs in 16” lengths by 10:00 am with time for a coffee break or two. By 5:00 pm he should be packing up even if he had a 30 minute lunch and a few breaks. Physically, this operator had to bend over frequently, but I think this type of work increases rather than decreases back health. Wear and tear on equipment in minimal as is fuel consumption.

Operator B will never be able to make two cuts in a row. Every time he makes a cut, he has to put his saw down, press the splitter button or lever and advance the log by button or lever. Nonetheless, he's got to make the same number of cuts as operator A. If the wood is straight and small, he might be done before operator A. However, if he encounters anything that is bent or the wrong size, he'd have to cut it normally and either have a wood splitter or an axe on hand to split these rounds. The potential for wear and tear is greater than with just a processor, since there are more complex and more expensive components involved. Fuel consumption is significantly greater. Physical exertion is slightly less.

If you haven't seen a 6 way, You REALLY don't want to see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QII-hubgffI&feature=related

Those guys overseas get all the neat stuff. Some EXTREMELY nice stuff being built over there.

It looks awesome in the video. I have gfound that even with a four way split, you can get some nasty hang ups if the wood is not straight. Then I'll be beating on it with the butt end of an axe to get it out.

As I see it, with just a splitter you have to:
1) cut the tree
2) buck the tree
3) load the rounds
4) unload the rounds someplace
5) load the rounds on the splitter
6) split the rounds

You're gonna be handling the wood a lot (like most of us do).

With a firewood processor, you would
1) cut the trees
2) stage the logs someplace
3) process the logs in to finished splits
This just seems like there would be a lot less handling of the wood as you're eliminating any handling of the rounds. Those of us with splitters have to handle the rounds a couple of times. I have to buck the tree. Carry each round (one by one) back to my truck. Unload my truck and stack the rounds. Then load the rounds on the splitter.

Speaking in defence of the splitter here:

The first issue I see is that if you buck the tree you should not pick up the 16” block unless you have a splitter beside you ready to split it.

The second issue I see if that the starting point of the thought process should be with a pile of 8-16 foot logs ready to be made into firewood. Whether you dropped them yourself and skidded them out is irrelevant in the processor vs splitter debate.

The comparison become like this:

SPLITTER:

(1) Buck the log
(2) Pick up the blocks and put them in the log splitter cradle
(3) Press the lever

PROCESSOR:

(1) Walk up to the log and attach a cable to the log
(2) Pull the cable in
(3) Cut one block (it falls into the cradle)
(4) Press the lever (repeat 3 and 4 until that log is done)

Actually, the processor I've worked with has no cable at all. The logs must be put on a custom made steel table beside it to be processed. I always found that I could have it bucked by then. It's nice that the conveyor puts it on the truck, but now you have a truck filled with unseasoned wood. By fair comparison, you should have to dump that truck and let it dry before selling/using it.

Chainsaw, I like your style and zeal! You'll do well.

I don't sell firewood. I just enjoy making it for myself and I love spending time in the woods. I buy a permit to harvest standing dead and downed trees from the Nicolet National Forest in Northern Wisconsin. I live right next to the forest. No vehicles are allowed in the woods. The best trees always seem to be the farthest from the fire road. So I have to cut the tree, then buck the tree, then carry the rounds, one by one, over uneven terrain and through the brush to my truck. Sometimes I get some 80 pound rounds. Now that gives me quite a workout. But it keeps me in shape. I'll be 66 this Thursday (12/22). So I have to get the rounds back to my place for processing. Like so many of us part-time firewood scroungers, I handle the wood a lot. I can do the physical labor now, but maybe I won't be able to when I'm 80 or 90. If I got a firewood processor, I'd have to buy a truck load (12 pulp cords) of logs for around $100 per cord, delivered. I don't have any support equipment. But this would save me a TON of work and time.

Don <><

Last edited:
It looks awesome in the video. I have gfound that even with a four way split, you can get some nasty hang ups if the wood is not straight. Then I'll be beating on it with the butt end of an axe to get it out..

Not arguing that point at all. we get WAY to much gnarly stuff with Beech, elm and some hackberrys get tough. It's funny when the videos are shown, it's always straight grain. just doesn't happen for me.

I'm getting ready to build my own and will have removeable wedges. Single, 4 way and 6 way. we need to have the flexibility aspect as we aren't running "youtube" wood. We only go at it basically 1 month a year. Most we've done is right at 100 /year so my hat is off to you doing THAT much EVERY year. I know what's involved there and using kinda the same set up as you.

echo bearcat 21 ton

I am the "lucky" owner of a bearcat splitter. I bought the smallest one about 3 years ago. I have had no problems with the trunnion mounting. I have had to replace the honda 160 GC motor twice now. I also just replaced the Prince kick off valve. It was leaking badly. My local Princess Auto had the valve on sale. I have found the dealer support to be poor and the parts seem very expensive. My main reason for choosing it was the ability to tow it on the road legally. I also liked the reservoir being down low. Would I buy another Bearcat? Probably not. Locally Speeco and maybe walenstein would likely be my choice unless I found a good home made one. YMMV

your right the gx line of Honda engines are good I have one on a noorwood sawmill and it never gives me trouble it was new in 1996 so its getting old now its a 13 hp and still going strong uses no oil and easy on fuel about 6 hrs on a gallon and a half of gas no briggs would run this cheap have a nice day

Super split would be the only non processor splitter I would consider for that much wood without going to a much more expensive 4/6 way timberwolf or similar. I would also go electric with that much wood electricity would be much cheaper than gas and oil. If it's anything like around my area you should have no problem selling whatever you can produce.

If I were in your shoes, doing it the way you want to, I would seriously give the HD SS a hard look. If you have the proper wood(even nasty stuff some guys split) you will have a hard time keeping up with that machine. Dangerous, maybe in the wrong hands but if you are the owner operator there is nothing to it. It all depends on the size/kind of wood that is available to you.

So it's been 2 1/2 years since the 3/400 cord fellow posted.

Update?

Lol. Still at the same old, same old.

The reason I ended up at this old thread again is I was Google searching and trying to research what the "best" wood splitter is (measured in cord/hour).

I never did buy a gas powered woodplitter of my own. Around the time I was replying to this thread, my father in law had custom built a woodplitter. Then I can borrow the Split-fire woodsplitter from where I work. I've been using a small Wallenstein the most, owned by some friends of mine. In a sense I've become the king of woodsplitter borrowers.

There is a brand new Speedco in my barn that someone is storing there - (untouched of course because they are SLOW AS BALLS).

I've split 50 cord in the last 2 weeks, and as I'm doing that, I have a lot of time to think to myself that I really, really want the ultimate woodplitter to own for myself.

There are 200 cord blocked, but not split in my barnyard...another 100 where I work. The other 2 people that I work where I work urgently need to fix fences (etc) when I start splitting wood.

I could just never justify the $2000-$4000 (Canadian $$$) that it would cost to get a really good one (a Super-Split...drool), when I have access to a number of "5 cord per day" woodplitters for free.

The guy who is the dealer for Echo (and Echo Bearcat woodsplitters) actually gave me a Echo CS 800 (80cc) chainsaw for free... a BRAND NEW chainsaw to keep. So I definitely want to give him my business if and when I buy the ultimate super-duper woodsplitter.

It bring me back 20 years ago when I was 16 and my Dad would not give me money for my own gas powered splitter because he wanted me to use the crappy one on the three point hitch behind the tractor.

I could just never justify the $2000-$4000 (Canadian $$$) that it would cost to get a really good one (a Super-Split...drool), when I have access to a number of "5 cord per day" woodplitters for free.

Well, you kind of already justified it yourself:

I've split 50 cord in the last 2 weeks, and as I'm doing that, I have a lot of time to think to myself that I really, really want the ultimate woodplitter to own for myself.

Kind of curious how much you're selling wood for, given the lack of capital expenses with all the free splitters & free chainsaw at hand. $2-4000 is pretty small potatoes for a primary equipment purchase for someone doing 3-400 cord/year.

(Why on earth would a dealer give away a new 80cc saw for free? Sign me up!)

NSMaple1: I charge $280 for a cord (or $85 for a 14" face cord). I just pulled out a calculator, and yes, I could buy a woodplitter with a small fraction of the wood I have lying around. I'll sell over $2000 in wood today, since it's Saturday and I'll do all my deliveries.

The catch is I have a truck, trailer, loader tractor, chainsaws and other equipment (and I've generally prioritized any new investment into these areas). I also just bought $15 000 in firewood logs (It is very common here right now to buy 8' to 20' lengths of logs not good enough for the saw mill). All in, my net profit is maybe only a third of my gross sales.

My accountant and I have found I make $20/hr when I work for myself in my firewood business. My guy that I work for (Glen) also pays me $20 cash.

The chainsaw was kind of a "thank you" for letting the dealer (who is also my neighbor) use about 5000 sq/ft of barn space of mine for free for a year.

Back