should I buy this sthil 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cw021382

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found an 046 magnum for sale with new 20" sthil bar and chain. It comes with the old 20" sthil bar that seems to be in good shape, may need new nose and 2 used chains. Also includes a case. He wants 350 for all. I could hold the saw up by the pull cord so compression seems good, but when I tried it out on an old 18" poplar stump it would bog and even stop the chain if I leaned on it very much, does this sound right. I passed for now, but he is local so I can look at it again easy if no one else buys it. The saw looks great cosmetically, and idled fine. The chain was fairly sharp, and the saw was oiling fine. The filter was pretty dirty, but I cleaned it somewhat before I test cut. I am no expert but am worried about a scored cyl or piston. I may go tomorrow and pull the muffler to inspect, but I have never checked one before. What do you guys think? I just want the saw for bigger stuff when needed. My other saws are a 350 husky and a 445 husky. I have never owned a Sthil. Should I take a chance?

I have an auto compression tester. I assume they are the same, I just need to make sure I have the right adapter. What kind of reading should I be looking for? Anything else I should look for or at?

If you see at least 140-150 psi, you should be good to go. If you see 120 or less, you're looking at a ring job, minimum. What you see through the muffler port (if he allows - make sure you have a T27 Torx screw driver) is more important than the compression test, especially if you're not familiar with testing small equipment like saws.

You can learn a lot by pulling the front off the muffler. Some scratches as well as carbon streaking is common. If it's ugly, you have a way to negotiate. Here's a sweet one to set an example. Take a picture if you're unsure and post it up.

20170203_134058.jpg

I left a message for him but still waiting for a call back. 140 to 170 is a wide gap. What is the minimum on a good running saw? Do I need a t27 screwdriver or will a t27 socket work to remove the muffler?

I am going to look at the saw at 3. Anyone have pictures of what I don't want to see behind the muffler? Anyone know what size adapter I need for the compression test?

Update: I am the proud new owner of a 046! Thank you to everyone who took time to help me. I could not do a compression test because my adapter screwed in too far. I turned the engine slowly and it touched. Glad I didn't just yank on it. Anyway the cyl. and piston look as good as the ones above. I have pics if I can figure how to post them. I tore the saw apart and cleaned and inspected everything. I put new sthil premix in it and a new plug. I will post pics soon.

Don't know how to pm. Serial number is 144336116. The saw has only seen 2 chains it's whole life! Now I have it cleaned up, I believe him when he said he bought it new and never really used it. It looks brand new.

Don't know how to pm. Serial number is 144336116. The saw has only seen 2 chains it's whole life! Now I have it cleaned up, I believe him when he said he bought it new and never really used it. It looks brand new.
Registered to : xxxx
xxxxxxxx
Rolla, MO 65401-8005
USA
Date Purchased : 10/23/2000

Primary Use : Farmer

I found an 046 magnum for sale with new 20" sthil bar and chain. It comes with the old 20" sthil bar that seems to be in good shape, may need new nose and 2 used chains. Also includes a case. He wants 350 for all. I could hold the saw up by the pull cord so compression seems good, but when I tried it out on an old 18" poplar stump it would bog and even stop the chain if I leaned on it very much, does this sound right. I passed for now, but he is local so I can look at it again easy if no one else buys it. The saw looks great cosmetically, and idled fine. The chain was fairly sharp, and the saw was oiling fine. The filter was pretty dirty, but I cleaned it somewhat before I test cut. I am no expert but am worried about a scored cyl or piston. I may go tomorrow and pull the muffler to inspect, but I have never checked one before. What do you guys think? I just want the saw for bigger stuff when needed. My other saws are a 350 husky and a 445 husky. I have never owned a Sthil. Should I take a chance?
Almost qualifies for a you suck award! Congrats on an excellent saw.

Pics of the cylinder and piston before I started cleaning the saw. The piston looks dull but its just the lighting, its really shiny. Enjoy the pics and let me know what you think.
20170223_182034%201_zpsdjx7j7qj.jpg

20170223_182615_zpsnts1rros.jpg

20170223_182623_zpsxhkjozm5.jpg

Ok here is the package I bought for 350, after cleaning the saw.
20170223_193924_zpssah48xhe.jpg

Some more pics while cleaning.
20170223_193407_zpsxwnkw4cu.jpg

20170223_193350_zpsrc5eqe8u.jpg

20170223_192430_zpspq1w5omt.jpg

20170223_191010_zpswvnw3dgg.jpg

20170223_185906_zpsozhrzkrv.jpg

20170223_182924_zpsnqsdhulg.jpg

I think it looks pretty good for being almost 20 years old. What's better is the way it runs and starts. I think I was just leaning on it too hard making it bog, but I need to check the tuning. That's my next step if someone can give me some pointers. Also I was thinking about putting the old 20" bar back on as I cant find anything wrong with it.

Latest posts

Back